Wing Commander Prophecy multiplayer...

Nice to hear back from him... Excals and Thunderbolts, sweet... I love the Excal

I was playing standoff last night and was thinking it would be great to get those ships for MP... just like the good old times :D

Yeah having a chance to take the SO excal and tbolt around would be fantastic! Well here's hoping HCl has a relaxing summer so we might get a new goody or two for the CIC B-day which is fast approaching.

Notebook cards of today, even if they are weak, should be more powerfull than the systems and cards from back in the day. You might be surprised how well it will run of your laptop with a glide wrapper and HCls Highres patch... Unless your notebook is 10 years old.

Oh no, it's only four years old and did play WCP and SOPS on my notebook (or laptop) already, with the Glide wrapper and the HiRes patch, there are still problems. The most annoying one that stuck to my mind was messed up crosshairs and some black bars appearing all around.

I recently e-mailed HCl about some of the things we've noticed about the MP patch and I got a nice response from him explaining some things concerning the scoreboard data and making the cheat ships not suck so bad (although our recent games with half-damage on actually make the Drathli usable but I still stand by my assesment that it will take 7 drathli to take down 1 panther, Houki and I tried 2 on 1 against Goku but he kicked our ass round after round). All in all it's good news and hopefully HCl will have some free time to change somethings. And if you see this Mario thanks for the speedy response and effort in this project!

Having the Excal and TBolt in the MP game sounds great and even though they'll certainly not suck as badly as I imagine (and you confirm) the Dralthi does, I guess they'll be far inferior as well.

And while I don't have any authority to question the decisions made by those great people enabling the MP part, I am a bit reserved towards changing stats for the cheat ships. Of course they're mostly inferior (even the Manta and Devil Ray?) or downright useless (Lamprey) - but they're supposed to be that way.

Having the Excal and TBolt in the MP game sounds great and even though they'll certainly not suck as badly as I imagine (and you confirm) the Dralthi does, I guess they'll be far inferior as well.

And while I don't have any authority to question the decisions made by those great people enabling the MP part, I am a bit reserved towards changing stats for the cheat ships. Of course they're mostly inferior (even the Manta and Devil Ray?) or downright useless (Lamprey) - but they're supposed to be that way.

The problem with the cheat ships is they were never intended for the uses we are putting them too. We simply want them on par with the confed ships in terms of shields/armor, because in their current state it's like flying around with a paper bag wrapped around your fighter. HCl mentioned he would like to do this (as well as us who having been logging flight time lately) because I'm sure some people would love to fly them on equal terms with the player shapes, but it is currently not possible because they are designed to be flown against, not with.

The Manta (both fighter and bomber variants) are pretty crappy and the Devil Ray is so-so but it's almost too quick in turning because it makes it hard to track targets when your ship turns really fast but the gun rounds travel fairly slow.

The Lamprey isn't one of the usable cheat ships as well, it's only drathli, vaktoth, moray, manta (both versions), squid and Devil Ray.

I am curious as to how the actual Prophecy multiplayer was supposed to work... were they going to create equalized Nephilim and Kilrathi ships, or was the entire mode Confed vs. Confed (plus co-op)? After all, the Confed ships really *are* balanced very well for multiplayer as they are...

Yeah, are there any documents pertaining to it in anyone's possession? I'd be curious as well how they planned to organize things.

The Confed ships are amazingly well balanced I have to say as well. In MP a lot of times it really is the "man and not the machine" that decides (well along with lag) who is going to win the matches.

And what about that Vision Engine Multiplayer stand alone game that was considered? That could end up being even better than the multiplayer module.

The problem with the cheat ships is they were never intended for the uses we are putting them too. We simply want them on par with the confed ships in terms of shields/armor, because in their current state it's like flying around with a paper bag wrapped around your fighter. HCl mentioned he would like to do this (as well as us who having been logging flight time lately) because I'm sure some people would love to fly them on equal terms with the player shapes, but it is currently not possible because they are designed to be flown against, not with.

The Manta (both fighter and bomber variants) are pretty crappy and the Devil Ray is so-so but it's almost too quick in turning because it makes it hard to track targets when your ship turns really fast but the gun rounds travel fairly slow.

The Lamprey isn't one of the usable cheat ships as well, it's only drathli, vaktoth, moray, manta (both versions), squid and Devil Ray.

I understand that. Yes, they were not meant to be flown against Confed Ships. But what about rounds where everbody flies a Dralthi? Should be a test of marksmanship, I imagine: fast firing guns, only HS missiles and low protection so that a few shots suffice. Like a Tie Fighter duel! :)

How do the Kilrathi ships fare against the Nephilim ships, e.g. Dralthi against Moray?

Anyway, it was just my spontaneous reaction.

I understand that. Yes, they were not meant to be flown against Confed Ships. But what about rounds where everbody flies a Dralthi? Should be a test of marksmanship, I imagine: fast firing guns, only HS missiles and low protection so that a few shots suffice. Like a Tie Fighter duel! :)

How do the Kilrathi ships fare against the Nephilim ships, e.g. Dralthi against Moray?

Anyway, it was just my spontaneous reaction.

I don't know... the guns are just too weak compared to the shield recharge... It becomes long draw out and frankly boring. THe Piranhas are a lot more fun in this regards.

1 Tachyon and 2 Lasers against the weak Dralthi protection? Never thought that would make drawn out fights.

But you are the ones who speak with real MP experience - thus showing me that my paper statistic comparison just doesn't match up with reality! :)

1 Tachyon and 2 Lasers against the weak Dralthi protection? Never thought that would make drawn out fights.

But you are the ones who speak with real MP experience - thus showing me that my paper statistic comparison just doesn't match up with reality! :)

I'm actually going to disagree with AD on this.

All drathli matches on normal damage are usually fairly quick, only takes 3 or 4 salvos to down a drathli. The matches(rounds) usually only last about a minute. You can go through the WCP MP scoreboard index of games and compare for yourself. On half damage the matches are a bit longer, but I wouldn't consider them really drawn out fights.

I do agree though that Piranha's are more fun to fly with although the stormfire is almost always the weapon of choice unless we agree to not use it before the match begins.

Also, I don't think we've tried drathli vs moray, but I'm sure this weekend we'll give it a try to see. We've found that games on half-damage are really the way to go as it helps eliminate the lag advantage that the host can have over the other players.

Well, if you do play Dralthi vs Moray, please tell me how it went. I'm puttng my money on the Dralthi. :)
I always liked WCP's gun combination on the Dralthi and its rather large gun pool.

Have lots of fun!

Alright if you haven't tried it yet, now is the time. This weekend. Both nights. As many pilots are possible. We know Arena is coming soon so why not get a few flight hours in right? So get your asses in your flight suits and get in #wingnut this weekend.

That is all.

Alright people, tomorrow is the big night, so if you don't have WCP installed already get on it! Then get the MP patch and get ready to go a few rounds. I'll be switching between Arena and WCP and possibly Armada or PG if people are up for it as well. It's going to be a lot of fun tomorrow.

Not really a multiplayer question, but one on Prophecy anyway.

As far as the graphics are concerned, is there any way to have the crosshairs intact with a mode other than Software? If I play with Direct3D, it goes away.

Took me a while, but I loaded up and added the mods, including the DVD movies, to the game...the movie upgrades look fantastic. Thanks much for that!

Problems with Prophecy crashing

Not really a multiplayer question, but one on Prophecy anyway.

As far as the graphics are concerned, is there any way to have the crosshairs intact with a mode other than Software? If I play with Direct3D, it goes away.

Took me a while, but I loaded up and added the mods, including the DVD movies, to the game...the movie upgrades look fantastic. Thanks much for that!

I'm now having a problem with the new video crashing Prophecy. I can look at the kill board, flight history terminal, etc., but when I get to playing any part of any movie sequence, Prophecy crashes. I don't get why either, because it was working perfectly yesterday. It doesn't matter which video mode I run them in either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm now having a problem with the new video crashing Prophecy. I can look at the kill board, flight history terminal, etc., but when I get to playing any part of any movie sequence, Prophecy crashes. I don't get why either, because it was working perfectly yesterday. It doesn't matter which video mode I run them in either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey, did you ever post any of this in a technical support thread?

I think you would get a better chance of a reply there

By the way, I have the same problem with the software/Direct3D... I decided to just play in software; it doesn't look as nice, but works better IMO

P.S: if you ever get an idea about it, please tell me :D

Back