Wing Commander Prophecy DVD Version ?

alucard

Rear Admiral
Wing Commander CIC posted on March 10, 2005 in the article "Wing Commander Done Differently ":
-=Wing Commander Prophecy=- DVD: Never mass produced. See WCIV DVD.

I have never heard of a DVD Version of WCProphecy for PC. Can anyone tell me what the differences or improvements are ? Or even better how to get my hands on that precious version ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is the same but the video is of much higher quality. You can look for it on eBay & similar.

@Confed

The game is the same but the video is of much higher quality. You can look for it on eBay & similar.

Do you own the game on DVD or have you played it ?

My search on Ebay was pointless.

And Bandit LOAF claims it has never beend released.

Pitty that WC CIC did not post anything more about.

Confed said:

Never seen one ever go on eBay. As far as I know, only like 23 gold master copies were produced and are owned by the small team that made it.

ChrisReid said:
Never seen one ever go on eBay. As far as I know, only like 23 gold master copies were produced and are owned by the small team that made it.
Interesting. Were the master copies just the original or gold CD version, but authored onto one DVD, or did they get the full treatment (Dolby Digital 5.1, MPEG-2 Video, etc), ala the WC4 DVD?

If they are the latter, I'm a bit surprised that EA didn't order a full (or even limited) production run after spending the money on a DVD transfer and associated authoring costs, as I would have thought that there would have been a market for it, even if it carried a substantial premium.

Granted, the DVD set-top box and pc markets were still very small in 1997 (was it initially intended for a concurrent release with the game or as a later supplement?) and I assume without some form of marketing tie-in, like the bundling of the WC4 DVD with Creative's DXR package(s), it may have been seen to be somewhat of a risk by EA. However, I'm sure it would have sold, especially to Wing Commander fans, but also to many pc hardware enthusiasts looking for something to showcase their rigs. Scarcity of DVD-ROM PC games at the time, combined with Prophecy's impressive 3D engine (DirectX/GLide) would have attracted flush early hardware adopters and could've driven sales of this product IMO.

Cheers,

BrynS

It was made by the same people who did the WC4 DVD version. It was given the same treatment. It wasn't something that EA was really involved in. It was to be another pack in with the Creative Labs DVD encore kits, not ever sold alone as a retail release. EA might have been paid off for the ability to do so at the beginning, with there being no difference whether the game was actually distributed or not. If I recall correctly, to add insult to injury, the reason it didn't get packed in with the kit was because Creative Labs went with the newer Freespace game on DVD, which was identical to its CD release.

^Thanks for the info, ChrisReid!

Another Wing Commander item to hopefully look forward to at some point.

Cheers,

BrynS

Would there be legal issues to consider if you ever did get your hands on one?

By that I mean would there be possibility of repercussions if say people sent you cd1 of prophecy and you send them back the original purchased cd along with a copy of dvd?

Even if some kind of liscensing fee had to be arranged I'm sure a lot of wing commander fans would be willing to pay for the cost of burnig copies etc.

Or would it be possible to have something where it checks (and uses) your Prophecy CD's to create the DVD ISO/s? (Would require DVD Burner obviously)

Course this relies on knowing someone who actually has a copy and letting it be used.

AD said:
Would there be legal issues to consider if you ever did get your hands on one?

By that I mean would there be possibility of repercussions if say people sent you cd1 of prophecy and you send them back the original purchased cd along with a copy of dvd?

Yeah, that is one very good possible way of doing that. We could mark the WCP CDs we return in some certain way so we'd avoid duplication and whatnot. There's plenty of issues, of course. It's not something we've invested much thought in, because by far the biggest hurdle at the moment is actually getting the first copy of the game, and if we did that, we'd then be able to consult with that copy's owner for advice on how to proceed after that.

Now that is a good reason to be annoyed with freespace... a DVD version of WCP would be far more interesting.

I hope we can pull this off one day.

Such a shame. I´d like to get my hands on that babe. I did like Freespace a lot, but it was never real enemy to Wing Commander, due to the lack of missing storyline and movies.

But thx to all who answered my question. Maybe someday we see a DVD Version of a Wing Commander game again. Let´s hope for it ;)

Back