Wing Commander Problem

Pretty sure that all you need is an SNES emulator. And of course the mod file.

Super Wing Commander isn't an SNES game. There's an SNES port of Wing Commander and a separate stand-alone version of The Secret Missions... but they're both fairly direct ports of the 1990 PC release. "Super Wing Commander" is a remake of Wing Commander I using the Privateer-era engine and SVGA graphics. It was developed as an early title for the 3DO and later ported to the Macintosh.

SWC for 3DO plays okay in FreeDo with the occasional bit of black-squares popping up on the cut-scenes (Which are amazing for the time!) and the odd ship just disappearing from under your target reticule. Very annoying when that happens.

If you can get hold of it (and good luck!) SWC for the Mac is supposed to be just the same, and you could run it on a good PC using BasiliskII a PowerPC Mac emulator. You'd have to get hold of an old mac so you had the legal right to load the bios roms of the mac (old LC3 mac should only cost about $25 these days) and then load OS8 (which might come with the LC3 if you were lucky) or 7.5.5 which is free from Apple. It runs very smoothly and gives USB support, so if you can find mac drivers for your joystick you're away. :)

Alternatively buy an old G3 imac or something for less than $100 (they are about £50 in this country) put on OSX and it'll run fine.

I'd love to get hold of Mac SWC for my Pismo G3 laptop. But even the links to the demo on CIC files don't work. <sob>!

Hi, again... I'm in the Dakota Sector now...

I have just entered officially to the Wing Commander world....It's great, really...
I'm working right now and i'm thinking in my next mission! hahahaha...

The Exeter Mission was hard, I played six times!

And it was wonderful Knock down Dakhath...

I'm playing with the mouse, I've got Joypad but I play better with mouse...

Maybe I have to buy a Joystick... with the keyboard I stink...I can't chase them!
(but it's better for long range shots)

Well, it's good to have a whole saga ahead :)

Salutes!

That would be a great feeling. How did you start playing Wing Commander 1? Have you read any of the books or anything? There's a whole lot yet to see.

ChrisReid said:
That would be a great feeling. How did you start playing Wing Commander 1? Have you read any of the books or anything? There's a whole lot yet to see.

No I don't read any Wing Commander's book.
I never heard about the existence of Wing Commader books.
Who's the writer Chris Roberts?

And I Start to play Wing Commander because I was looking for an action game
with a well created world. And I like the good games, and Science Fiction too...

I knew the Wing Commander II when I bought a Creative Multimedia pack that
included 2x cd-reader and two speakers and two cds with Origin/electronics arts games in 1992. there are great games in this cds.

I never started to play WCII because I don't had the first part. And I saw that
the world was good but I don't knew anyone character or what happens before.

And the past year I get the WC1 and I started to play. that's all.

sorry if there are bad english parts...I speak spanish.

Welcome to WCUniverse... I hope you like it.
Well, I can't seem to controle the 3DO version on freedo, and the black squares are everywhere.
And macs are not nearly as cheap and easily available here :)

No, Chris Roberts didn't write any WC books. You can find more information on them and other things in the WC universe at https://www.wcnews.com/background/

Your English is good. It's pretty apparent you're not a lazy typer, which is the most important thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back