41.2 KB · Views: 158
  • waterloo.jpg
    waterloo.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 112
  • Gilgamesh.jpg
    Gilgamesh.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 115
Ok, a little history here :)

I made these things about 9-10 years ago. The construction method is actually hand molding each model out of clay, baking it in the oven to harden it, then painting them. I was about 14-15 at the time I made these.

Anyway, I've wanted to share these things for a long time, but they were stored in a box at my parents house, and I never got out there and took pictures of them. I finally decided recently to have my Dad take the pictures, which he graciously did for me :)

He actually took quite a few pics, but many are blurry, or the ships are upside down :) (he's not a wingnut, so we'll cut him some slack). Sooo, the long and short of it is that these were the best shots that I have to work with at the moment, but I'll try and get more when I can.

Just to give a scale here, the largest ship is the Concordia, which is about 5" to 6" long. The smallest are probably and inch in lenght. I'll try and get a scale shot when I can.

Hope you guys enjoy, feel free to comment!

Awesome! And to think I just made a boring ceramic box shaped like a gift in my art class :(.. I agree that your Victory seems like the top quality. Those types of figurines might make excellent pieces for some of the Wing Commander Hex board games that are floating around.

Those are pretty nice looking for being a decade old and living in a box!

I'd like to see some more picts, that's a damn good paint job.

To tell you the truth, I don't quite remember how many I made to be exact, but here's a quick rundown (many hopefully to be pictured later)

Confed
2 Tallahassee cruisers
3 Sheffield Destroyers
Victory
Concordia
Tigers Claw (which isn't very good because my reference pics were...um...crap! :) )
1 Gilgamesh
1 waterloo
1 Caernaven (Which I probably won't show cuz I'm not happy with it)
1 Murphy Destroyer (Which I probably won't show cuz I'm not happy with it)
1 Plunkett Cruiser (Which I may not show, haven't decided)

Border Worlds
1 Intrepid

Kilrathi
? Light Destroyers - quite a few if I recall correctly
1 Heavy Destroyer
2 Bhanktura (sp?) carriers
3 Fralthi 2 cruisers
4 or 5 corvettes... (I don't know if anybody ever read the farside comics, but there is a strip where god is creating life, and while making snakes he says "boy, these are easy!"... same thing goes with making corvettes :) )
1 SWC Fralthi

Funny thing is, I probably made the victory about 5 times before I perfected that one! This is pretty much what has survived, because quite a few of the originals were inaccurate, or very poor, so I scrapped 'em.

I'm in my last semester (hopefully :) ) of night school, so after I have a little more free time (work kinda kicks my butt, too) I might try to make some more of these bad boys. The best case scenario would be if I could make molds of the ships, then kinda mass produce them, so people could have them if they wanted. That's just an idea in my crazy head though :)

Like I said, once I get some more decent pics, I'll try and post some more up.

These are great! Nice work, I can't wait to see more. I'm always amazed by how skilled people are with this kind of thing...

1 Murphy Destroyer (Which I probably won't show cuz I'm not happy with it)

Aww, you gotta -- Murphy himself will probably see it. :)

2 Bhanktura (sp?) carriers

Bhantkara.

Those types of figurines might make excellent pieces for some of the Wing Commander Hex board games that are floating around.
You bet... I was just about to ask when they'll be officially released and where I could buy some. Big disappointment there! :( :p

Nice job on those models, mustanger!

You bet... I was just about to ask when they'll be officially released and where I could buy some. Big disappointment there! :( :p

Nice job on those models, mustanger!

Perhaps Mustanger could have a nice part time business making them to order and selling them to Wing Commander fans :)

You know, I've actually been considering how I could make some so that people could have them. The thing is, in order to mass produce them, I would have to be able to make molds of them, and ideally would have to have a perfect example to start with. Making a plaster mold, then using the clay might work...

However, that is in the future for now, because time just won't allow for it right away :)

I think my next project is going to be carving the Victory out of a wooden block. Should be able to make it a bit more accurate than with the clay I think.

Anyway, hope to have a few more pics up tomorrow!

Well, I didn't get a chance to snap any more pics this week, but I promise they will be coming.

I did, however, give my first shot at making the Victory out of wood. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, I'll try and put a pic up in a bit if I can. If this works out, I just might be able to make a mold of this thing!

Ok, here she is!

PS: There is a rather major innacuracy on the conning tower side :)

However, I believe I can fix it with some wood putty, and once the paint goes on you won't even know the difference!

Attachments

• vwood1.JPG
    vwood1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 83
  • vwood2.JPG
    vwood2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 74
  • vwood3.JPG
    vwood3.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 76
Back