Wing Commander links in Ultima

BlueClaw

Spaceman

From Ultima 7...does this look like a WC2 Kilrathi Bloodfang?

If there are any other Ultima veterans on the board, think any of you know of anymore Wing Commander related stuff in the Ultima series? I've heard there's more.

Looks like a little red 'X'. :)

But yeah, there's a WC2 style Bloodfang in Ultima VII... and there's an anagram of 'Kilrathi' on the walls somewhere in one of the Underworldses.

Does the anagram look something like this?

I think the actual taunt's supposed to be, 'You cannot defeat the Drakhai', but the reference to Wing Commander 2 is obvious. This is a pic taken from Ultima Underworld 1.

The Bloodfang is located in the fields of a farmer in the city of Britain in Ultima VII. The farmer reports that the "tiger-lion" got out of the vessel, and told him to "Kill Rathi," before accidentally getting impaled on the farmer's Hoe of Doom (or something like that - and the hoe really exists). Unfortunately, the farmer does not know who Rathi is, or why Rathi needed to be killed. After the tiger-lion died, the farmer cooked and ate it.
Ultima Underworld 2 has a race of four legged (i.e. non-bipedal) felines that are used as either guard animals or beasts of burden (I don't recall which). Although they pretend to be dumb, they can actually talk, and speak to your character when given the opportunity. They have legends of when their ancestors used to travel between the stars, and iirc, their name is an anagram for Kilrathi (or very similar to it - its been a long time since I played that game).
There was also an April Fool's gag that Ultima On-line ran a while back that involved news stories of Kilrathi ships attacking the city of Britain. It appeared on the official UO site in the news section.

I think UW1 was released after WC2. I remember being disapointed by the voices of the intro which were far inferior to those of WC2.

Originally posted by BlueClaw
[...] but the reference to Wing Commander 2 is obvious. This is a pic taken from Ultima Underworld 1.

Ah well, so much for pics. But anyway, the anagram you were talking about, LOAF, was from Ultima Underworld 2, based on the word 'Trilkhai', which when rearranged gives you the word 'Kilrathi'. The Trilkhai were a race of cats, like leopards, but not upright and bipedal as we know the Kilrathi to be. Here's a short and suspiciously familiar explanation of the Trilkhai's origins from one of the knowledgeable wisps of UW2:

The Trilkhai were once a powerful race of anthropomorphic 'felines'. Since their catastrophic 'loss' to a group of humanoids, they have since devolved 'past' the point of 'tool using'.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Of course, there's also [Ultima] references in WC... there's a Brittania System in Armada.
They made up all sorts of funny names for the numerous systems of Armada, I'm happy they threw in "Optimus". :) (I think)

There's also a secret cheat room in Ultima 7 that upon entry begins to play the Kilrathi Theme music from WC2 that was so common in the discussions between Thrakhath and Khasra, as well as the Emperor.

Originally posted by BlueClaw
There's also a secret cheat room in Ultima 7 that upon entry begins to play the Kilrathi Theme music from WC2 that was so common in the discussions between Thrakhath and Khasra, as well as the Emperor.

Actually, its easier than that to get the music to play. The music will play when the Bloodfang is visible on your screen.

There's also another vague reference in one of the Ultima game manuals, that talks about how the sorcerer Mondain, the Avatar's mortal enemy, allied himself with 'star-walking monsters of unparallelled savagery'. Of course, this passage is open to other forms of interpretation.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Heh, actually the Kilrathi first appeared waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in U1. Weird :)

No, the Evil Galactic Empire appeared in U1, complete with TIE fighters.

U1 kilrathi/empire?

Was that a joke? It's been a long time since I've played U1. I don't remember the kilrathi or the Empire in it... They were tandy graphics, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something big. (ugly sprites)

Back