Wing Commander links in Ultima

Re: U1 kilrathi/empire?

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
Was that a joke? It's been a long time since I've played U1. I don't remember the kilrathi or the Empire in it... They were tandy graphics, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something big. (ugly sprites)

I have no idea what Bob's talking about (... ever...), but in Ultima 1 you have to fly a space shuttle and blow up enemy fighters (to impress a princess!) -- the enemy fighters look suspiciously like TIEs. :)

Or what about the tiger-like captain in SQ6 and his litter box...

and and in SQ1

And the kissy-faced alien from "Alien" in SQ1. God those games were good... Not as good as Wing Commander of course.
No.
No where near as good... With the shooting and the flying and the BAM! glavin...
By the way, I'm having trouble posting a poll. Where are the instructions for that?

there's a million and one references in SQ
The instructions for posting a poll are in the F.A.Q. in the top right of the screen.

Originally posted by TC
Of course they reference WC in WC... I assume you mean Ultima in WC.

TC

acording to the book that came with the ultima complete game (may have the title wrong but it hads all but the last one) a race of cats in the game ultima are the same cats as in wc.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

acording to the book that came with the ultima complete game (may have the title wrong but it hads all but the last one) a race of cats in the game ultima are the same cats as in wc.

:rolleyes:

That's one of the things we were talking about below. The race of cats in question appeared in Ultima Underworld 2, and were called the Trilkhai (anagram for Kilrathi).

There is one other suspiciously familiar Wing Commander reference in the Ultima universe. In Ultima Underworld 1, if you manage to travel all the way down to the lowest level, in a large pit full of monsters there's a small bit of graffiti in a corner wall. It reads, 'Thou canst not defeat the Drakhri!'
This sounds very much like the Drakhai pilot taunt, 'You cannot defeat the Drakhai!', although I suspect the UW1 programmers may have been confused between the Drakhri medium fighter and the Drakhai Imperial Guard.

They wouldn't be the first to confuse the two. (Or to confuse Drakhri and Dralthi... or Drakhai and Dralthi... and so forth...)

Back