Wing Commander IV - Online! (August 11, 2010)

Please include Spanish version

I installed this patch along with the videos with the Spanish version and not leave the subtitles.
I have tested with the three languages: English, German and French, and I do not see any subtitle.
I wish it would have the option of Spanish in the installer if it is possible, thanks in advance.

The translation of this message has been made with the google translator, I hope you understand.

If you are talking about the subtitles in the movies, they do not show in any language. It is a bug (or feature ?) of the WC4DVD. I haven't looked into it yet, but I guess it'd require a HCl-caliber hack to have them displayed again.

As for the "Spanish" option, I'll look into it, but i don't think my WC4DVD.EXE supports Spanish as an option, and I don't think it exists at all. I'll try looking for it.

Don't hesitate to ask for more precisions if you can't get this message translated properly.

Small update, fixed a small bug that probably nobody would have never noticed, and added a link to download the AC3Filter.

What files does the installer copy off the cds?

I have the Mac version which of course won't work with the installer but if I can use the data files then maybe it will work.

I assume the VOB folder just holds the videos from the video packs now available.

Are the old movie tre files still needed for anything since you have the dvd videos?

Maybe a listing of the wc4 folder after a regular plain install would help.

There you go, sir, files that are copied into /wc4 on root. As far as I know the old tre files are still necessary to get the audio for the decision parts, but that's a guess - the game does not work without them.
The vob folder only contains the movie files, right.

Why not run it in a virtual Windows environment? I doubt that the mac can do anything with the patch.

Attachments

• wc4install.png
    wc4install.png
    121 KB · Views: 204
There you go, sir, files that are copied into /wc4 on root. As far as I know the old tre files are still necessary to get the audio for the decision parts, but that's a guess - the game does not work without them.
The vob folder only contains the movie files, right.

Why not run it in a virtual Windows environment? I doubt that the mac can do anything with the patch.

You misunderstand, I was trying to install on a PC but since my original game cds were mac formatted the installer doesn't see them so I just extracted the files from the cd-to-dvd installer.

Anyway thanks, it looks like I'm only lacking:

all the .wsg files (though the program seems to create at least some of them)
the uninstaller(not really important)
wc4.anm
wc4.cds
wciv.ico(though I used a dummy icon)
and install.tre

I used a modified .cds file from the demo where I added all the .tre files to it. The game started but kept looking to c:\vob rather than wc4\vob
for the videos and when it reached the flight scene with maniac it crashed. I tried running the configure dxcmi file but it spit out it wasn't a valid win32 app. I running win 7 64-bit any help is appreciated(my folder was on my desktop and not the root though). If I delete the wc4.cfg file does it recreate it?

edit: added install.tre

all the .wsg files (though the program seems to create at least some of them)
The WSG games are savegames.

I used a modified .cds file from the demo where I added all the .tre files to it. The game started but kept looking to c:\vob rather than wc4\vob
for the videos and when it reached the flight scene with maniac it crashed. I tried running the configure dxcmi file but it spit out it wasn't a valid win32 app. I running win 7 64-bit
Edit the "configure" shortcut to "%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe dxmci,configure", then you'll be able to run the DXMCI config utility and specify the VOB folder location.

I've got major problems getting this to work.

I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit. I have got my original WC4 CDs, installed them fine using your installer program. I've downloaded the high-quality movie files and unzipped them into the VOB folder.

Upon launching the game, everything seems fine to start with. The intro movie plays, looks great, sound is fine. Once I reach the first dialogue choice (help him out/straighten him out) things start to go strange.

Once the dialogue choice is made, the video stops playing but I can hear the sound continuing. If i ALT-TAB, I can see that the next video has started playing in a new window. This happens exactly the same for the next dialogue choice. The old videos are not closing down, and a new one is opening in a new window every time which I have to ALT-TAB to see.

Once I get to the actual space flight section things go really bad. I can hear the sound of the briefing text appearing but not get it to appear, even with ALT-TABbing. If I press ESC at this point, I briefly get to see a couple of seconds in the cockpit before the entire program crashes back to desktop with fatal error messages.

Please help!

Hi. I am at work at the moment so I can't be of much help right now and will only have time to check this out much later tonight. In the meantime here are a few thoughts:

First, the videos playing in another window must be some codec thing. What are the codecs installed on your PC ? Do you have a DVD player software installed ? Ie. PowerDVD, CCCP, VLC ?

Second, please tell me where WC4 has been installed. Was it in the default "C:\Games..." folder, or you choosed some other path ?

I've been messing around with it a bit and have got some better results.

The game is installed on an external hard drive where I place all my games (L:\Program Files\WC4). I do have VLC installed on my system.

I tried using the 'configure dxmci' program that was in the WC4 folder and made some changes. Although the video quality dropped somewhat, this time I was able to get through to the actual flight section. Some of the videos were playing without sound, some were fine. It looks like I'll need to experiment a bit.

Great job on putting this all together, by the way. I've wanted to see the DVD quality vides of this game for years.

I tried this out on Windows 7, and everything works! I did have to download and install AC3Filter for the movie audio to work, but that should help with my upcoming WC4 HD project.

I'm also having serious problems getting this to work in Windows XP 32-bit SP3. I downloaded the 4 VOB .zip packs, and then I installed the CD version of the game using the most recent WC4CDtoDVD.exe. Next, I unpacked all four of the .zip files into c:\wc4\vob. Everything appeared to work perfectly until I got to the first scene of the exploding capship (after Maniac challenges you to the duel, and you have to down 2 enemy spacecraft). The player could not find the .vob file. Interestingly, the routine was looking in c:\vob for the next .vob file, so I simply copied my entire VOB directory to my root c:\ and then made the dxmci configuration routine point to that folder . That worked again, until I got to the first video cutscene where you attempt to talk to Vagabond. Again, I got a missing file error: 'Missing file -- DXMCI c:\vob\sc_0280a.vob -- file not found,' even though I clearly found the file there and was able to play it VLC media player. Has anyone else had this problem??

Windows XP SP3, 32-bit
4 GB of RAM (3.26 avail, for 32-bit reasons)
Q6600/2.4 GHz
SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro, most current driver
GeForce 9600 GT, most current driver from nVidia

- MS-DOS CD-ROM version of WC4 (6 CDs)
-latest AC3filter installed
-latest VLC Media player installed
-InterVideo WinDVD 4 installed (I can try removing this, but I doubt this is an issue. WinDVD 4 plays all the .vob files)

-I tried the dxmci routine with all possible options, in every configuration. Compatibility level, correct file path, VMR9, Force Mpeg2Dec, etc. I tried chucking all the .vobs and just using the .zips (obviously, as predicted, that did not work, but it was worth the try).

All the files are in the correct places, and the routine should have no problem finding the .vob files. Each of the .vob files plays properly (sound, etc) in a standalone player. What gives? Any help would be much appreciated! I even tried a complete uninstall/re-install of everything, and I still get the same problems.

Thanks,
V/R,
AIM-9X

Applying Windows 9x compatibility didn't really help either. The videos that weren't playing before were now playing, but I couldn't key through the video sequences (the game was ignoring any keyboard input to skip past the videos) unless I pressed the window key to temporarily get to the desktop. That would work for a while until I got a CTD (crash-to-desktop).

Ok -- the culprit seems to in fact be the DVD decoder software. I was using WinDVD 4. I chucked that installation and tried PowerDVD 3 (very early version), which worked without crashing the game, but had awful image quality and screwed up the in-game color palette. Which is the best decoder to use?

I downloaded and installed the GNU Essentials Codec Pack, which allowed me to successfully play a DVD in Windows Media Player 11 -- solved all crashes, and video works excellent (VLC media player does not install a compatible Windows Media codec -- at least not for WMP 11). Palette problem still exists. Tried killing explorer.exe, but found that <ALT>+<ENTER> (full-screen to window) fixes the palette. Oddly, this works different on different PCs, and is probably entirely related to the DVD decoder and/or graphics card, since my ThinkPad T60 (with WinDVD 5) runs this with no problems. Kind of annoying, but at least I can run the game. Great effort, PopsiclePete!

Back