Wing Commander Holy Grails

Raul2106

Spaceman
1. Super NES Wing Commander II - I really wish we could get a hold of this one.

2. Wing Commander IV 3DO Edition - I've heard it was produced but it's missing just like the SNES WC2. I enjoyed Wing Commander III on 3DO more than the PC original.

3. Wing Commander Prophecy DVD - Would be excellent and would simply run circles around the Wing Commander movie. Forget gameplay lets just turn it into a direct to DVD feature film.

I can't vouch for WC4 3DO -- I've never run into anyone who actually worked on it... asommers included it on his list of sigificant cancelled games, and I've heard second-hand claims that work was pretty far along... but I've seen no actual evidence of it.

We should have WCP DVD really soon, though!

Prophecy DVD is up there, and I'd also include the deleted scenes from the WC Movie and proper publication of Pilgrim Truth. There's also the SciPubTech high-detail cutaway schematic poster for the Tiger's Claw which was canceled before it went into production.

For the longest time I considered the ability to play Privateer/Armada in Windows and then later take Armada online on the modern internet holy grails - both things which have been achieved in the last year or so!

That and the hidden cache on Priv. WCP DVD is all the excuse required to replay that game.

ChrisReid said:
There's also the SciPubTech high-detail cutaway schematic poster for the Tiger's Claw which was canceled before it went into production.

Whats the story behind this? I know it's advertised in the WCM Magazine, but do we know anything else about it aside from that it was canceled?

sorry, but I didn't understand the part with WCP DVD (as you can see I'm no native english speaker^^)
will there be a released new version of WCP on a DVD with all the bonus stuff`??or is it a fan projekt? or what...?

Actually, from what i ONLY know, there is no WCP DVD. It was something in the works after WC4 but never happened and so far has remained inconclusive to the subject of such thing. Until now....
hmm big question mark there.

Unless there is proof however, I would be flabbergasted completley by such thing if some solid proof did surface.

What do you mean? Prophecy DVD was certainly finished - it was developed by Daylight Productions in 1998. It was licensed by Creative Labs for their DXR5 DVD kits and only switched out for a DVD version of the original Freespace at the last minute. I've talked to at least three people who worked on the project, all of whom were surprised to hear that it was never released -- everybody at Daylight just figured it came out as planned since they'd sent it off to Creative. Several former Origin guys have copies.

SO IT DOES EXIST!? my bad...So you mean they 'switched' projects at the last second just for FS instead of Prophecy (DVD) ?

I never knew of the big connection between Daylight and Origin until now. Pathetic though, how they sat upon a great re-release of game that had better playing ability than freespace. It would of been truly a great material to watch again.

Now that some of us know such thing does exist, when do you reckon it can reach the wcnews community?

Don said:
SO IT DOES EXIST!? my bad...So you mean they 'switched' projects at the last second just for FS instead of Prophecy (DVD) ?

I never knew of the big connection between Daylight and Origin until now. Pathetic though, how they sat upon a great re-release of game that had better playing ability than freespace. It would of been truly a great material to watch again.

Now that some of us know such thing does exist, when do you reckon it can reach the wcnews community?

Creative Labs were the ones who sat on WCP-DVD. Creative decided, after they had the WCP-DVD and decided to included freespace (which unlike WCP was just the game on a DVD with no enhancements) with the dxr5 kit. At the time there was no market to sell a dvd game apart from a Mpeg2 decoder card kit as the CPUs of the general PC user public were not powerfull enough to play the video on their own.

Like LOAF has been hinting at, he is in contact with an Ex-origin employee who has the DVD and is working on getting it (or at least the high-quality video).

LeHah said:
Whats the story behind this? I know it's advertised in the WCM Magazine, but do we know anything else about it aside from that it was canceled?

I don't recall the details, but I think it went down because of a combination of things. Some of the movie's retail tie-ins didn't sell very well, and I believe the company went out of business around that time. I don't remember them replying to my emails about it at the time, and I don't think they're around anymore.

The Holy Grail for me would be:

To play and own the Prophecy DVD
To play the Prophecy Multiplayer. (Which looks like it will happen thanks to HCI)
To have the behind the scenes for the WCIV
To have the behind the scenes for Prophecy. (Which looks like it will happen now Thanks to the Origin Museum.)
To see a remake for WCIII on DVD with all the footage of the 3DO version. (Yes I know this will never happen unless some fans decide to do it.)

Finally- Non Wing Commander Related- I would like to play the original Neverwinter Nights SSI the old gold box series.

ChrisReid said:
proper publication of Pilgrim Truth. There's also the SciPubTech high-detail cutaway schematic poster for the Tiger's Claw which was canceled before it went into production.

Those two sound interesting too.

Shades2585 said:
The Holy Grail for me would be:
...To have the behind the scenes for the WCIV...

Well what do ya know....https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6130

Really, what made most of these things "holy grails" was the at one time seemingly impossible nature of the pursuit. The only one of your choices that could still fit the bill of being seemingly impossibly out of reach is the Updated WC3 one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance of us getting the WCP DVD? Considering that it will probably work with gulikoza's patch...

Thanks AD,
However before those were posted I was searching online for WC behind the scenes videos and found a hit on Mark Hamill’s page about a “WCIV Behind the scenes CD”. I talked to Chris (or was it LOAF?) about the existence of this and he said it was never produced/released and they weren’t sure if it even existed. Later those videos were posted confirming it. I would like to see the actual CD to see what else was on it. I imagine all those clips are there but what else? That’s what I want to see.

There were WC4, Privateer 2 and Prophecy 'making of' videos released on German magazine cover discs -- that's what these are. There was no in-house 'Behind the Screens' product like they did for Wing Commander III.

ChrisReid said:
Prophecy DVD is up there, and I'd also include the deleted scenes from the WC Movie and proper publication of Pilgrim Truth. There's also the SciPubTech high-detail cutaway schematic poster for the Tiger's Claw which was canceled before it went into production.

Has anyone tried researching this? : http://www.scipubtech.net/index.htm

SciPubTech

15318 Mack Avenue
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Fax: (313)885-7426
(313)884-6882
Contact us at: mxpetz@mac.com

From the original press release:
“We’ve had a great response from retailers wanting to stock WING COMMANDER merchandise in anticipation of the movie,” said Marten Davies, president of Digital Anvil. “Millions of people have already experienced WING COMMANDER through the computer game series. With the movie and our merchandising efforts, we are hoping to turn others on to the great universe that Chris Roberts created.”

WING COMMANDER merchandise includes:

· Action Figures and Space Ships (X-Toys) (Recently introduced at the X-Toys showroom at Toyfair in New York)
· WING COMMANDER Adult and Junior Novelizations, Fact Book, and Continuity Novels (HarperCollins) (Just released)
· WING COMMANDER Collectors Magazine (Starlog)
· Signed and Limited Edition Art Posters (Hasson Fine Art Corp.)
· Masks and Costumes (Cinema Secrets)
· Collectible Pilgrim Cross Jewelry (United Cutlery)
- more -

· Children’s Bicycles and Backpacks (Rand International)
· T-shirts and Hats (Altuf Sportswear )
· Posters (Scipubtech and Scorpio Poster)

Also: http://www.randinternational.com/index.html

Multi Disc to DVD

If there's a fan project to do something like transfer a version to DVD - though it wouldn't provide enhancements, just convenience (for instance WC:KS), that would be considered 'piracy' and we couldn't post it here, right?

Just... making sure... before I do something foolish in the future. :rolleyes: :D

NuAngel

AD said:
Has anyone tried researching this? : http://www.scipubtech.net/index.htm

I tried contacting them a bunch back in the day and didn't get a response, but if they're still around, you should try again.

NuAngel said:
If there's a fan project to do something like transfer a version to DVD - though it wouldn't provide enhancements, just convenience (for instance WC:KS), that would be considered 'piracy' and we couldn't post it here, right?

Obviously if you posted the game it would be. And if you didn't then it probably wouldn't be. Posting a patch or directions for people to do something with their own copy is fine.

Back