Wing Commander game music

What kind of music for the next WC?

• Classical

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Something modern( Like techno or hardrock or something)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Something different (Explain what!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It could be cool if the different races had different themes. Confed with classical music, and i could imagine that hardrock or heavy metal tones would fit for the kilrathi( or at least in some cutscenes)

Any time I hear the "Alien" theme from ID4, I think of a Kilrathi Fleet.

Regarding the poll, I think the WCP mix was a good idea. Orchestral in the actual game, electronica in the simulators.

I agree....that music in the simulator... Every time I play, I would just pause, turn my speakers up, and walk around the house for awhile.

But, the orchestral music works on so many levels. It's funny. That's what I remember more about the music from Prophecy, the orchestral stuff.

That's the kinda of music I listen to when I work - it gives you the requisite work beat, and doesn't bog you down with lyrics so you don't try to understand two different streams of information.

Originally posted by TheFraix
I think orchestral soundtracks are the norm for space operas.

As far as space operas go, I think Macross: DYRL has the greatest orchestral soundtrack ever. Tis beautiful....

However, it just wouldn't fit Wing Commander :(

I prefer the music in wing commander 1 and a nice addrenaline pumping fel when theat eject light is flashing :) and kittiess all around.. never did find out what that eject butten did :D :p

Hi all,

This is a very interesting thread so far. My opinion is that the best and only good music was found in WC I, II, III, and IV. I really hated the fact that George Oldziey was not meant to do the soundtrack for the movie, then again, the movie wasn't that good, anyway.
Yet too bad... I love his WC music, it goes along on the same level as J. Williams' Star Wars music does. :)
Still today I love listening to the WC (all parts but Prophecy) music.

Speaking of that 3DO version (I never was able to try it); if it really sounds that much better, is there any way to get to hear it on a PC (recording it and convert it to MP3 or so)??? I'm really curious how it sounds. If not, is there a way how to emulate that system on a PC? Then again, where should I get the game from... some nice MP3s would be really cool. :D

Now about the WC music on cd.
I don't know about the Fatman's project but I remember there was a petition signed by more than 400 people to encourage him to create some cd which consisted of WC music.
Now since I prefered George's music, I emailed him last year and asked him if he could release a CD of his own music as well. First, he wasn't really convinced that there is still demand for. The petition convinced him, however. Yet he also told me that he already asked the EA legal department to get parts of a required license (yeah I know it's crazy; he made the music himself - but he sold the rights to Origin, thus EA today, so he does need a license) but they never got back to him but he said he'll probably try again, now knowing that there are still many fans out there wanting a CD.
After a few months I called him up and asked about his progress since I really wanted to do everything to keep this idea going (and maybe getting real someday). According to his words, EA again did not (yet) give any response (why did I always know that it was a bad step that EA took over so many companies?). The company doesn't really seem to care about it in my opinion (and many of you probably know about the bad EA customer care, anyway) and thanks to EA we won't get any cd as it seems.
That way people have to rely on ripped MIDIs and MP3s from the internet. I really wonder if that is what EA prefers...

Sincerely
Landorin

I can shed more light on this...

I traded email with Oldziey over a seven month period. At first, he was unconvinced that such a thing would sell and even after seeing Fatman's petition succeed, he was iffy. EA Legal aside, he was unsure where he put his masters from WCIII and IV and later found that they were in an EA vault (or the equivalent of).

Basicly, his shred of hope was maligned with EA's legal department. I know George had planned on releasing a WC complilation CD when Privateer Online (or WC Online) was released; he had even begun working on it before the project was canned though he didn't get far.

I asked (read: begged) him to deal with EA, to talk to them and that he had the CIC as his personal cheerleaders/peanut gallery. EA gave him a run around for a solid 3 months before he told me it was not happening short of devine intervention.

Here's the reasons I remember:

1.) EA held rights to all the master tape music. This included cutscenes and in-game. He'd have to get legal permission, possibly through a limited contract or an attorney, to print and publish his own music for public consumption.

2.) EA would need a cut of the profits, as the source music was from an EA game.

3.) Considering that the last installment was a few years old by this point, how many copies of this CD would it take to turn a profit for not only Oldziey, but enough for EA to want to give him the rights to make said CD.

In the end, it was bullshit, but its a pipe dream I still hold on to.

Mr Oldziey still has no idea how that cutscene music ended up on Napster a few years ago. He doesn't remember making a promo that had all that music on it.

The WC cutscene music on napster. Its origins are unknown. An urban myth. It's really cool, and someone should make them available for download.

As for the Music CD, it's a great idea, but the major obstacle will be the size of EA. It's a small project that might interest a smaller company, but it's simply too small for mega corporation like EA to even notice

They just don’t want anyone messing around they intellectual property, even if they couldn’t care less. They rather let it rot on a vault even if a lot of people are willing to pay to enjoy such copyrighted material for its artistic value. This is how copyright law currently function, plain and simple.

It's no myth. I was the one who found the MP3s and sent them to LOAF and Chris.

Back