Wing Commander game music

What kind of music for the next WC?

• Classical

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Something modern( Like techno or hardrock or something)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Something different (Explain what!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lynx

Spaceman
What kind of music would you like for the next Wing Cammander or WC fanproject

I'd prefer something like classical music during inflight, that switches to something more fast and modern (anyone knows M.Bisons theme from Street Fighter 3 Alpha? That would be perfect for a battle with the Kilrathi!) during battles.

I would perfer more Classical. Prophecy's Music is too techno for me, I perfer the music from WC I - IV

My fav WC themes were either the take off theme from WC1 and 2 (later the scramble theme from WC3) and the bombing run music from the same games.

If I had the choice of what to lean toward, Basil Poledouris's "Starship Troopers" has a mighty-yet-bittersweet motif in 'Klendathu Drop' where it's "Young Boys Go To War" that I think would fit a WC game quite well. The later track "Bugs!" also is basic enough to be emulated and then pounded out on synth.

i liked the music in the barracks in WC1 and 2. when Blair learns that Angel's dead and he goes to the bar in WC3, that melancholic jazz was the bomb!

Originally posted by SyyBorg
When Blair learns that Angel's dead and he goes to the bar in WC3, that melancholic jazz was the bomb!

The 3DO version of WC3 has much better music in the lounge. They replaced that MIDI crap with the actual music playing in the background during the FMV sequences. Those jazzy tunes are so good!

The 3DO version of WC3 had better in-game music, overall. Since the system didn't do MIDI, all the music was revamped and sounded... real. Since I played the 3DO version first, going to the PC version (while it had sharper graphics) was a sore, since it wasn't as polished as the 3DO version.

I really like the classical stuff. The Fat Boy did a great job, and did George Oldziey, a name I can rarely spell correctly.

But they could try something new, like Hans Zimmer. That would be cool.

Originally posted by Delance
I really like the classical stuff. The Fat Boy did a great job, and did George Oldziey, a name I can rarely spell correctly.

But they could try something new, like Hans Zimmer. That would be cool.

George Oldziey did excellent workon the Wing Commander games. Fat Man (or Boy... I forget) made some of the most catchy and memorable music I know in a video game.

Hans Zimmer would be an excellent approach to a new Wing Commander game. His music mixes elegant and nicely flowing classical with a modern, hard edge. I, myself, am a bit more old-fashioned and would love to hear some James Horner in a Wing Commander game. Preferably if it sounds like his 80s stuff (Wrath of Kahn, Aliens).

Originally posted by Col.Dom
George Oldziey did excellent workon the Wing Commander games. Fat Man (or Boy... I forget)

Fat Man did excellent work on early WC games, especially when you consider the technological limitations of the early 90's.

He also did an excellent job of blowing up Nagasaki, especially when you consider the technological limitations of the mid 40's

Yeah... about George 'The Fatman' Sanger was re-orchestrate the music from WC1 & 2. Last think I heard the master disc was done... and no more news since two years ago.

The 3DO version of WC3 has much better music in the lounge. They replaced that MIDI crap with the actual music playing in the background during the FMV sequences. Those jazzy tunes are so good!

Please don't call MIDI - crap.
Not till you've heared it on a Roland Sound Canvas.

Originally posted by TheFraix
Yeah... about George 'The Fatman' Sanger was re-orchestrate the music from WC1 & 2. Last think I heard the master disc was done... and no more news since two years ago.

Myself and LOAF have attempted to contact him about the CD and we've yet to hear a reply. Fatman seems to be MIA going on a year now.

Since I played the 3DO version first, going to the PC version (while it had sharper graphics) was a sore, since it wasn't as polished as the 3DO version.

i played WC3 first on 3DO also, and it sounded so much better

The 3DO version of WC3 had better in-game music, overall. Since the system didn't do MIDI, all the music was revamped and sounded... real. Since I played the 3DO version first, going to the PC version (while it had sharper graphics) was a sore, since it wasn't as polished as the 3DO version. [/B]

WC3 had MIDI music during FMV sequence?! Wow, that's just awesome!

Originally posted by TC
He also did an excellent job of blowing up Nagasaki, especially when you consider the technological limitations of the mid 40's

BWA HA! That was hilarious! I am still laughing!

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Please don't call MIDI - crap.

No, no. Not that MIDI = crap. It's just that when you hear the 3DO in-game music as opposed to the PC in-game music, you will definitely find yourself favoring the non-MIDI 3DO stuff. Normally, though, I do love MIDI. I have dozens of disks just... full of MIDIs.

Originally posted by LeHah
[BIf I had the choice of what to lean toward, Basil Poledouris's "Starship Troopers" has a mighty-yet-bittersweet motif in 'Klendathu Drop' where it's "Young Boys Go To War" that I think would fit a WC game quite well. The later track "Bugs!" also is basic enough to be emulated and then pounded out on synth. [/B]

The music to Starship Troopers is great

Back