Wing Commander Forum Idea

"T"

Spaceman
Hola All,

A while back when I was in College (UK Version) I belonged to a site Called FedCom it was on www.botf.com and all about Star Trek Birth of the federation, Now when BOTF was seen to be dying out quickly I as a Webmaster needed to change the Focus of the site and merged with another site blah blah blah cutting long story Short we Created a Forum Based RPG game called "New Age" it was basically Star Trek but with a Twist after a borg invasion there was nothing left of the Old Empires small Groups of Survivors banded together in Rag tag fleets and resettled the wrecked colonys....

Now The players acted as the Head of each Empire controlling all parts from Economy Sabotage R&D (Most fun) Diplomacy and of course the Battlefield.

It ended up with 2 or 3 Empires looking like Wing Commaner Universes as they (including me) banded together and formed up with Massive Carrier Fleets in space to fight off some of the Other More Capital Ship orientated empires and was great Fun and lasted for well over 1 year before finally falling over due to the sites Technical problems (lost all posts TWICE!!)

Now Ive seen a Resergence of these sort of games in WWIII forums and even a WWII Forum which is V. Interesting starting in 1940

However was wondering if anyone Here would be interested in starting one up here (If thats ok Mods?) :D

Ive got some old Rules to New Age and im sure they could be adapted to WC It gets interesting when Survivors are of Mixed race with Mixed Tech and R&D Is Immensely Fun when properly Modded, Ships are given stats by the MOD but I am willing to do the Typing and altering and even doing some Modding for it if Needed!

Well if your interested and you can type interesting Character/storylines Please reply to this post!

(If a MOD has an objection to this please just delete this dont want to cause troule here!!!)

Not easy that New Age was a little one of a kind becuase of the genre it was in, you had to have Stats for all the ship types (begining Hulls and Player Researched ones)
Plus the System on how MC's (Manufacturing Credits) were worked but Ill grab it!

I will attempt to find the Archives of the New Age game and try to show you how it worked....or pull out the rules from some old old Storage site we used to use.

"T"

Okay dokey heres a set of the rules still in Star Trek format let me know if u reckon your interested:

New Age Classic:
November 1999

TOP Members designing

Silverlock
Tdawg
Adm Oct

Storyline: (Simple)
Borg come in Invade all Organisations removed from power all colonies that survive are independent
Piracy and chaos is rife

(Players come in to there chosen faction)

Rules:

1) Players Star with one System and 3 Ships (1 Flag ship at this stage no bigger than Medium Cruiser)

Each "HomeWorld" system has a Resource factor of the Moderators choice decided by Race Percentage Leadership type and Espionage level

Typical System:

"Sector 001 SOL"
(Planet Numbers Non applicable)

MC's per turn: 12
Credits per Turn: 100
Large Ship yards in system

MC's = Manufacturing Credits to Build a Vessel Eg USS Enterprise 12 MCs out of 100 Built
Credits = Money that can be used to Buy ships Early (ala CIV) Buy Troops and use Spys
(Maintain ships)

1a) at the end of every TU a "News Report for the faction must be completed should only the Totals of credits and manufacturing projects change a copy and paste of the previous report with the new totals would suffice but players are asked to put in some news of thier empire or empires characters to make a fluid universe. A news Report should look like:

EMPIRE NAME (BANNER IF APPROPRIATE)

NEWS REPORT
(Should include Ship movements)

Total Credts in Treasury
Total MC's incomming this turn
Total Used MC's

Current Building projects
Current R&D project

Diplomatic Relations
E.G = UFP At WAR WITH: RSE
UFP At peace with CSU
UFP Neutral with KE

2)

EXPANSION (Territory and Naval/Troops)

To Expand your Territory you will need to send a ship (anything will do)
to the requested sector and leave it there while an E-mail / BBS request is made to the Moderator.
When MOD responds Sector is updated in your colours for your faction and its MC's and Credits per Turn (TU) Is awarded should the System have no Population then a "Colinisation" period of 3 Turns ensues YOU CAN ONLY COLINISE 3 Sectors Per 10 TU's (allow for population growth) finding an inhabited system will not count tothis total

To Increase your Fleet of Military Space craft (Civillian ships are classed as automatically built as needed) You will need a space yard you will start with one Large ship yard in your home system new ones can be constructed and will be explained later on.

To build a Spacecraft: On your news Report Make a post reporting the begining construction of a new ship I.E a Galaxy Class Heavy Cruiser (250 MC's)

The News Report would look like:
Building Project (Sol): Galaxy Class USS Thresher (0/250 MC's)

Every Turn add MC's to the total untill the ship is completed
(MC's CAN BE SPLIT BETWEEN YARDS)

Once constructed your Ship can be sent to any system you wish REMEMBER: Ships that are new will start at the YARDS SYSTEMthey were built at

Troops:

Troops can be bought with Credits only for a "new" troop type the Mod will decide on the Cost of the unit. (Tanks can be Researched)
standard Troops are: (Per Detachment)

Fed Marines: 150 C
Klingon Marines: 250 C (Strongest)
Romulan Marines: 100C
Ferengi Marines 50C (Weakest)
(Stats for troops will be given later)

3)

Research:

Research is a simple Time based system but it has been decided to make it a written design brief to make it more interesting to start a R&D Project this should be done:

Think of a new design of ship include its features
(Be sensible "impenetrable shields will not be allowed)
Type the Discription of your design and make a post that you are Researching it give it a name and any special features I.E A Carrier or a Cloakable ship should be declared the MOD(S) will contact you via ICQ or E-mail and request your desired stats for the design they will then tell you the cost of the ship in MC's and/or make adjustments to your stats so the game remains fair and no one has an "uber time shifting cruiser"

4) Diplomacy

Diplomacy is at the players discretion they may use any form of communication to talk to each other to make alliances or war but all on board disscussions are In Character only (IC:) this means that player X in Real life may know what player Z is going to do in the game but can not make a comment to player A on the board about it if his empire is not involved please remember to be in your Chosen Leadership characters personnas and act accordingly.

5) Espionage Operations

Espionage is an easy affair but costs LOTS of Credits and needs either a covert ship in the general area (out side a system square) or a Special kind of troop (Spec ops) To plant bombs on the enemy planets or shipyards or even Ships (should an empire want a spy in the enemy empire) also they can disrupt Building and R&D projects or look for enemy Intelligence by that empire.... To initiate a Intel operation E-mail the Moderator with the Projects intentions, budget (Which may be discreetly removed from the Treasury in the news posts) and naval resources if required the Mods decision will come with a "GNN" news burst to all players of succsess or Failure of the attack without mentioning the name of the attacking empire unless a "abysmal Failure" happens.

COMBAT: (SPACE)

Combat is achived when 2 factions come into contact with each others fleets when the fleets meet players are to detail the ships involved and thier classes with any support vessels (Fighters and such)
The battle will be played out by both sides and although the numbers may be in favour of one side the tactics of the battle may swing the tide the system works like so:

Fleet one (Attacking Fleet) targets ships it wants to hit Fires
Fleet Two (Defending Fleet)targetted ships Sustains damage

Fleet Two (Defending Fleet)Targets ships it wants to Fires
Fleet one (Attacking Fleet) targetted ships Sustains Damage

Crippled and Wrecked ships removed from fleets. (+80% HULL DAMAGE)

Fleet one (Attacking Fleet) targets ships it wants to hit Fires
Fleet Two (Defending Fleet)targetted ships Sustains damage

Fleet Two (Defending Fleet)Targets ships it wants to Fires
Fleet one (Attacking Fleet) targetted ships Sustains Damage
And so on

At the End of the Battle a Report from both Victor and Loser must be produced detailing ship losses and damage to ships

In a Prefect worl the Battles would be live if Time Differnces are a problem the Players submit thier targets to the Mods and a result is E-mailed to the players within 24 hours
Any tactics that wish to be used the Mod(s) should be let know of

All Decisions are final by the MOD(S)

Combat GROUND

Orbital ships that can may Bombard with Weapons and then deploy ground forces som ships may be able to enter atmospheres and affect the batle.

Ground combat same as space combat but Defender get a 10% Bonus for Ground combat

This Rule Section is NOT Exhaustative and R&D by players may force Rule Changes

FACTION GENERATION TO BE POSTED IN INITIAL NEWS REPORT WITH A DISCRIPTION AND HISTORY OF YOUR FACTION.

PLEASE INCLUDE RECURRENT CHARACTERS AND THEMS FOR YOUR EMPIRES!!!!

REMEMBER YOU CAN USE ANY MATERIAL IDEAS FOR R&D AND IF A SHIP LOOKS LIKE
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA USE A BRACKETED OUT OF CHARACTER QUOTE:
(eg: OOC: IT LOOKS JUST LIKE BSG!!)

Ok....quick update on Ships for the Idea :) Decided to start in WC2 for this example:

Please be aware that this is obviously not exactly true to the WC universe if all players or the vast majority agree an Era can be selected and ship types will vary for DEFAULT START in the game WC2 Era has been selected

ARMED FORCES LIST (Standard ships)

TROOP STRENGTHS:

Human: A:5 D:5 I:7
Kilrathi: A:7 D:6 I:5
Nephilim: A:4 D:7 I:2
Pilgrim A:3 D:4 I:8

Nephilim and Pilgrim added to make players be able to choose an interesting mix Faction.

Values: A = Attack D = Defence I = Intelligence (Who strikes first + defence modifyer)

SHIPS: (This List is not Complete and not Accurate for Game Playability You could ALWAYS RESEARCH SOMETHING!)

CAPITAL SHIPS: (HUMAN)

Light Carrier (Bengal) HS: 100 SS:150 S:6 FC:24 WS: 25

Medium Carrier (Concordia) HS: 150 SS:190 S:5 FC:48 WS:30

Destroyer: (Gilgamesh) HS: 70 SS:100 S:6 WS: 70

Cruiser: (Waterloo) HS: 100 SS:150 S:5 WS: 110

Dreadnought (Confederation) HS: 100 SS:150 S:4 FC:24 WS: 160

Transport/ Troop Transport (Clydesdale) HS: 50 SS:50 S:6 TC:10

HS= Hull Strength
SS=Sield Strength
S=Speed (moving through Map)
FC=Fighter Capacity
TC= Troop Capacity

FIGHTERS (HUMAN)

Light Fighter: Ferrett HS: 1 SS:2 WS: 1

Medium Fighter: Rapier HS: 1 SS:3 WS: 2

Heavy Fighter: Sabre HS: 2 SS:3 WS: 3

Bomber: Broadsword HS: 3 SS:5 WS:5 (WS Vs Fighters: 2)

So a Quick example might be:

TCS Tigers Claw Engages 1 Gilgamesh Destroyer
(Tigers claw has 2 Wings of Ferrett Fighters aboard)

Tigers Claw Attacking so Fires First:

Tigers Claw's WS = 25 = -25 From Gilgamesh's SS leaving:75SS

Hornet Wing 1 & 2 Attack GilgaMesh Combined Weapon Strength of 24 = -24 off Gilgamesh's SS = 51
(Have to implement a rule for flak working on that one)

Gilgamesh Targets Tigers Claw and Fires: WS of Gilgamesh is 70 taking 70 SS from Tigers Claw Tigers Claw SS now 80 Points

Gilgamesh Withdraws.

End Combat :)

Which could be Written like this for an Afterbattle report:

"Capt, The Rouge Destroyer is comming in on an intercept course, shes comming in hot!!"
The collected voice of the Ops officer showed his training as he calmly plotted the hostiles path towards the Tigers Claw.

"Scramble all Fighters, Code Red Alert shields up arm Weapons"

The Captain looked around him as Battle klaxons sounded and the crew ran to thier assigned stations in preperation, In his head the Captain knew that 2 wings of Ferrett Fighters were not going to stop a destroyer easily but that vessel had caused Civillian shipping back to Calcour severe disruption after the Collapse of the Confederation Calcour was one of the few known stable colonies left, and he would protect that all he could.

The Fighters began to launch from the Tigers Claw and assumed a possistion in Front of the carrier daring the Rouge Destroyer to Assault them.

It Began Quickly twin Laser and plasma Streams from the Tigers Claw tore at the Shields of the Rouge, like a Horde of Bees that had been stirred up the Feretts Pounded her shields with no remorse, thier Mass Driver Canons flashing lethal death.

The Destroyer Captain aimed his Turretts at the Tigers Claw and a this time the Carrier felt its Shields take the Weight of the blast as the destroyer fought back with deadly glowing energy.

As the Ferrett Squadrons rounded for another attack on the Destroyer the Vessel began to alter course a glow from the aft of the vessel showed she was about to jump, "Dont lose her Pilot" said the Captain I want that pirate caught" "Aye Sir, Looks like shes jumping to the Asteroid belt thats her heading anyway" the Helms officer plotted into his NAV computer an intercept course as the Chief Officer ordered the Recall of the fighters as the Destroyer fled the Battle.

Althoguh that was a little indepth for one skirmish I think you get the picture?

"T"

From my rahter confused view, it looks like a RPG (I called them "sims") style, except instead of doing it via email, or IRC, it's done via forums...

Well is anyone interested in Starting up a Test game?

Need 5 Players?

If your interested give me a shout (on the thread or ICQ me)
and well work out soem Begining Stats and a Map.

"T"

OK I have now recieved the Rules Set from the Original New Age Game!

Again if anyones interested I need 5 Peeps to help me play it! :)

First of all Dont panic These are teh Expanded Rule sets 100% Complete however since this is a Variation on the Game the WC Game will be Simplified and expanded as new things happen:

But have a Read anyway!!

New Age Rules
The following is the list of regulations that you will be expected follow when playing the game, as well as the rules of the game.

You and your EmpireAs the overall head of your empire, you command its fleet, economic, diplomatic, and intelligence operations. You are, or represent the commander-in-chief of your empire.

You and other EmpireAs the head of an external power, you may only affect other Players' empires through a few means, some of which include attacking the empire, sending intelligence agents into it, and negotiating with it's Head of Government (the Player)
Note: The term Empire is used throughout these rules, you may call your empire whatever you wish, within the rules.
You Shall:
Direct your empire's fleet as you see fit.
Perform diplomatic functions as you see fit.
Perform trade as you see fit.
Direct the construction efforts in your empire.
Direct exploration outside your empire.
Direct colonization of previous explored planets.
Direct intelligence operations in other empires.
Direct counter-intelligence operations in your empire.
Direct what research your empire shall undergo.

You Shall Not:
Treat other Players and/or the moderators in a rude and/or derogatory fashion.
Attempt to edit your own messages after you have posted it.
Attempt to create unduly unrealistic situations. (Includes the usage of Q and the Borg)
Note: The above will be explained in more detail later.
Use profane or obscene language.
Attempt, aid, abet, counsel, or commit any such action on the Server, that is prohibited under English Law, and United States Federal Law.

Creating your EmpireThe process of creating your empire is somewhat complex, and will be explained in detail shortly. However, I would like to go over a few key points first;
You may only be in one of former five Alpha or Beta Quadrant empires.
These empires were the
Klingon Empire,
Romulan Star Empire,
Ferengi Alliance,
Cardassian Union,
United Federation of Planets.

This is approximately five years after the end of Deep Space Nine, and a year after an assault by the Borg on all the major races, destroying the homeworlds before being driven back. As a result, the former Empires have fallen apart into small warring regions.
Selecting Your Territory;You may select the location of your empire from the following list;
Cardassian Space
Federation Space
Ferengi Space
Klingon Space
Romulan Space
Once you have done so, you must pick the composition of your populance. This will determine the bonuses your empire has. You must pick your populance from the following populations:
Cardassian
Federation (includes Humans, Vulcans, etc)
Ferengi
Klingon
Romulan
You must pick your populance so that it matches your location.
You will be allowed 1 billion citizens in your empire. The races you pick must represent at least 25% of your populance. Therefore, you cannot pick 50% Federation, 30% Romulan, and 20% Cardassian. But you can pick 50% Federation, 25% Romulan, 25% Cardassian. Below are the bonuses each empire gets, as well as its starting ship allotment.

When you pick your ships from the list at The Omega Project, you may not choose Negh'Vars, Sovereigns, Defiants, or Intrepids. You may only pick ships from a race if at least 25% of your population is from that race. If you are a multi-race empire, you get the lowest MC among all the empires which are represented with at least 25% of your population. Romulan players get all ROMU ship designs, Federation players get all FEDE ship designs, Ferengi players get all FERE ship designs, Klingon players get all KLIG ship designs, Cardassian players get all CARD ship designs.

Alright, once the game begins, the following rules will be in effect;
1) There will be ABSOLUTELY NO EDITING OF ANY POSTS AT ALL! NONE! Anyone editing posts will be penalized to some extent, depending on what he did.
2) Whoever posts something first posts what happens IF he has the authority to post on that subject. So, in example, Person1 can't make a post saying that Person2's ships exploded or anything. This does not apply to secret actions, you must instead email the secret action to me at reseviora@sympatico.ca
None of the above applies to me, of course. Q'Res can also post random events and the like.

3) Not a rule, but you should know that I will not sell my knowledge of secret actions.

4)10 Day Rule (thanks Q'Res);
-Once a player joins, he/she may not be attacked for 10 days. If a player quits, any new player has rights to the old player's empire for 10 days. After that, it's fair game.
5)Vacationing;
If you expect to be too busy to play the game, you can ask me to put you in vacation mode. Typically this means that some force field has sprung up around your empire and your ships have been returned to your empire. Time also flows slower in your space, at about 2/3rd of the rate. You must vacation for a minimum of three days.

NOTE: IC: President Lawrence invites all nations to join the Galactic Council. The Council will be a governing body that will discuss the current events in the galaxy, set basic rules for war and combat and hopefully promote galactic peace. The council will not be allowed to interfere with the internal and external affairs of a member.
OOC: Kinda like UN.

EXAMPLES OF HOW TO FORM AN EMPIRE:
After the major powers started breaking up the small, but unified Bajoran people decided it was their turn to rule the stars. They stretched out, taking hold in not only their native Bajor system, but the Denorias system, and another neighboring system.
Our population is approximately
87% Bajoran
6% Terran
5% Cardassian
2% Ferengi
Our fleet is comprised of:
4 Centaur
2 Akira
2 Galor
1 Keldon
1 Constitution

There will be absolutely NO usage of Doomsday devices, like the Trilithium torpedo in Generations, or anything that will destroy or severly damage a planet.
Right now, you get the following amounts in taxes;
10000 Cardie, Romulan, Klingon only empires
11000 federation / x empire
12000 federation only empire
20000 Ferengi empire
Trade income right now is;
Romulan only empires 1400
Cardie empires 1800
Klingon empires 1600
Fed empires 2600
Ferengi empires 4000

Additionally, whenever you declare a secret action, empires have a chance of discovering it with their intelligence agencies. My intel agency is the Tal Shiar, so I know everything that's going on. Which rationalizes the fact that as a moderator I'll know these things anyway. On that note, I will be playing until we have everything fully organized, at which point I'll go to full moderating.

Romulans;
-30% Trade Income
+30% Research
+50% Intelligence
+60% Counter-Intelligence
+10% Ground Combat
Begin with 450 MC worth of ships.

Federation;
+20% Tax Income
+30% Trade Income
+50% Research
-20% Ground Combat
+20% Population Growth
Begin with 300 MC worth of ship

Ferengi;
+100% Tax Income
+100% Trade Income
-30% Counter-Intelligence
-50% Ground Combat
+20% Productivity

Cardassians;
-10% Trade Income
-10% Research
+20% Intelligence
+10% Counter-Intelligence
+30% Ground-Combat
+50% Productivity

Klingons;
-20% Trade Income
-20% Research
-30% Intelligence
+10% Counter-Intelligence
+100% Ground-Combat
Begin with 400 MC worth of ship

Oh, and for the special buildings, each empire gets one. To get one, you can tell me what it is APPROXIMATELY supposed to do. I'll either tell you exactly what it does, or in case of an intel buildings, roughly what kind of effect it has, or, if your idea is not suitable, I'll send you back to the drawing board.
Task Force : 3 ships
Strike Force : 3 Task Forces = 9 ships
Battle Group : 3 Strike Forces = 9 Task Forces = 27 ships
Battle Fleet : 3 Battle Groups = 9 Strike Forces = 27 Task Forces = 81 ships
You can have less then the amount required, but never more.
For example, 8 D'Deridex warbirds would be 1 Strike Force, and 3 Task Forces.

1) There will be ABSOLUTELY NO EDITING OF ANY POSTS AT ALL! NONE! Anyone editing posts will be penalized to some extent, depending on what he did.

2) Whoever posts something first posts what happens IF he has the authority to post on that subject. So, in example, Person1 can't make a post saying that Person2's ships exploded or anything. This does not apply to secret actions, you must instead email the secret action to me at nw-secret@trekgaming.com
None of the above applies to me, of course. Q'Res can also post random events and the like.

3) Not a rule, but you should know that I will not sell my knowledge of secret actions.

4)10 Day Rule (thanks Q'Res);
-Once a player joins, he/she may not be attacked for 10 days. If a player quits, any new player has rights to the old player's empire for 10 days. After that, it's fair game.

5)Vacationing;
If you expect to be too busy to play the game, you can ask me to put you in vacation mode. Typically this means that some force field has sprung up around your empire and your ships have been returned to your empire. Time also flows slower in your space, at about 2/3rd of the rate. You must vacation for a minimum of three days.
I don't have set rules made up for the concepts covered in the topic yet, and this is all preliminary (so feel free to cut it up as you see fit), but in order to salvage any ships, you will need at least a cruiser level ship to do so. A Defiant simply does not have the capabilities to mount a salvage operation on its own, nor does it have the space inside the ship.
In order to negoitate with other 'minor' races in the sectors you explore, you must also have a cruiser-level ship there. As before, nothing smaller than a cruiser will have the diplomatic facilities required to undertake negoitation. Once you have met a race with your cruiser though, you can negoitate with it via subspace communication.

I had a look at Admiral O's idea about the empire bias, so here's some preliminary stats. You may NOT switch between them.

Ship Stats are Based in the ship stats list whch I am currently Modifying to Wing Commander they will follow if interest appears.

"T"

Despite parser overload, I think I managed to grasp the context and gist of it. Sounds interesting, but alas, I never have the time for these things anymore...

Back