Wing Commander Collectors Edition Box Set petition?

It's reasonable to presume WC games could be successful, but not on a scale that EA would be interested in. A smaller publisher would love to have this kind of franchise to work with. The good news is that, if EA ever decided to make a WC game, they'll make it big. Maybe if they want to make a space game, they might browse their stock IP and find WC on a shelf and decide to dust it off.

Bandit LOAF said:
Entirely separate case -- with Star Trek you have a giant pre-existing audience who is buying games because of the label... not because of how great other Star Trek games are. If 1% of the people who watch Star Trek buy a Star Trek game, that game is a fantastic success. If 1% of the people who play Wing Commander buy a Wing Commander game, we're very very screwed. :) (It's like the Wing Commander movie -- far more people saw the movie in theaters than ever bought a Wing Commander game... but it was still a financial failure because it's an entirely different medium. A million people seeing a movie is a huge loss, a million people buying a game based on a movie is a huge success.)

Sure thing, as Star Trek has its very own audience firmly builty outside the gaming world. Very few gaming-specific franchises successfully transcend genres, like Warcraft. We habe some smaller examples like C&C (Renegade), X-Com (Interceptor, Enforcer) and even WC (Armada).

As a fan of the series, I think WC does have a potential for other genres. Dekker gets to do some pretty neat things. Maybe instead think about revisiting Kilrathi war as one of the marines onboard that Ralari on the siege of Kurosawa, under attack by Gratha, trying to keep it together on some timed mission with the ship falling apart. Do X and Y so you get the Rapiers some extra time they need. That in a game with the Origin treatment, with details and bits of information about marine operations. But hey, I don't know if this would interest everyone. The FPS market probably dones't care for special references to WC1.

Of course the timing for all this passed years ago. They could’ve gone for the RTS craze of the late 90's, but no. That window of opportunity was lost. On the bright side, at least they didn't make a bunch of crappy games to spoil WC’s good name, and didn’t mess up with the continuity.

Sure thing, as Star Trek has its very own audience firmly builty outside the gaming world. Very few gaming-specific franchises successfully transcend genres, like Warcraft. We habe some smaller examples like C&C (Renegade), X-Com (Interceptor, Enforcer) and even WC (Armada).

Renegade, Interceptor and Enforcer were all failures... and Armada's strategy mode was a late addition -- it was developed as a multiplayer space combat game.

Yeah, they failed. Maybe "smaller" was an euphemistic choice of words. Even that adventure warcarft game was never released. It's no easy trick.

The market for space sims is too small. Not a single hit for a long time. I still think that a simpler (cheper to develop) game for a handheld device could be an alternative. Not that it's cheap. But the costs to develop new game for the new consoles is just too high to justify the risk, apprantly. Either that or a compilation, for the basic reasons. I mean, if you could emulate every single WC game and make it run on the 360, that'd be awesome

Personally I think the main reason there hasn't been a big hit in a Space Sim, is because no company has produced one that captures peoples imaginations like Wing Commander series did. I mean other than Star Wars based space sims, there are no other space sims around, other that freeware mod projects, or the the Babylon 5 based Sim being made by the guys running Space Dream Factory.

EA flirted with the MMORPG market with Westwood Studio with making Earth and Beyond. Which was a nice looking game with some very decent graphics, but EA never properly marketed that game so its subcription rate never went much above 40 or 50k subcribers.

Plus there seems to be a disturbing trend in video games right now anyway, the days of having a game that would take you days to finish is now giving way to games that any decent gamer can finish in an afternoon. And that trend also extends to the MMORPG market as well, look at the numbers World of Warcraft have, they have over 4 million people playing that game. And really all there is to WoW, is leveling up, kill creature, get treasure, and repeat, basically no major thought process needed.

And the only decent MMORPG's with a space portion that I know of is, Star Wars Galaxies, Vendetta Online, and EVE Online.

But I believe it would be possible to make a good Space Sim that would appeal to a wide audiance if it was done properly and not rushed, which almost basically impossible in todays business enviroment.

BSC_Paladin said:
Plus there seems to be a disturbing trend in video games right now anyway, the days of having a game that would take you days to finish is now giving way to games that any decent gamer can finish in an afternoon.

I don't so. Back in the NES days, even the SNES days, almost all games were the type that could be finished in an afternoon. Now when there's a game you can finish in less than 10 or 15 hours, everyone complains that it's short. And you also have games like Morrowind or Advance wars (not even beginning to get into the Sims/Nintendogs/Animal Crossing/etc) that easily take more than a hundred or two hours to complete.

BSC_Paladin said:
And that trend also extends to the MMORPG market as well, look at the numbers World of Warcraft have, they have over 4 million people playing that game.

They just announced that they have 6 million subscribers. And Warcraft isn't an "afternoon" game. I'm not sure how you're justifying that trend spilling over into MMO games here.

Publishers doing kind things for their fans, while not entirely uncommon, are fairly rare, especially in the case of a company like EA. Although some companies are still able to do small things such as Bungie Studios, the makers of Halo, were able to release the source code for their Marathon Trilogy and the games themselves free for download along with several others of their older games.

EA can release C&C Decade because C&C games are still being made, while WC has been quiet for quite a long time. The fanbase has shrunk and grown quiet compared to others. Granted things like UE, Standoff and Saga are huge accomplishments, they simply can not compare with the fan base that C&C can provide with a franchise that still produces games under that name.

Yeah, EA only made the C&C DVD because of a future C&C...which we know nothing about. It is kinda strange that they didn't lauch the collection AFTER announcing the new title, or even announced it IN the new box itself. It would have been more cost effective.

Email me a letter to send to EA and I will xerox it and mail ten a day until they meet our demands...

WC BOX SET here we come...

Make it 50 a day.

or 100 a day.

However many it takes.

Raptor_Pilot said:
Email me a letter to send to EA and I will xerox it and mail ten a day until they meet our demands...

At which point your mail will be dropped into the trash without even opening the envelope.

*wanders away, singing the viking spam song*

Death said:
At which point your mail will be dropped into the trash without even opening the envelope.

Ain't that the truth. I had done a petition for a TV show when I was 10 and I sent a letter to FOX every day for about 7 months. Turned out to be a big waste of stamps.

LeHah said:
Ain't that the truth. I had done a petition for a TV show when I was 10 and I sent a letter to FOX every day for about 7 months. Turned out to be a big waste of stamps.

Yup, even after all that they refused to cancel Herman's Head.

I think it was discussed in another thread that one show was extended by a few episodes(probably funded entirely from the gifts they received).

Delance said:
Well, is there any documented case where a petition worked?

Yes, the original Star Trek petition 40 years ago. That was the only one ever, but everyone who starts a petition uses that example to prove theirs will work.

Back