Wing Commander Collectors Edition Box Set petition?

Well, Secret Ops had fifty missions and dozens of pages of backstory to go along with each of them. It had in-engine cutscenes, narrated story driven dialogue and some flash movies online. You don't get to watch the talking heads, but there's at least as much story to it as something like Wing Commander 1.

Bandit LOAF said:
I doubt it. Wing Commander Prophecy Advance only came about because of an unusual and complex set of contractual loopholes.

Aside: a Wing Commander Prophecy/Vision Engine port for the Playstation was cancelled early in development by Origin because of technical issues.

Thanks for the info LOAF

floodcasso2 said:
i think the wing commander fanbase has actually grown over the years. I'm fairly sure with the right advertising that a wing commander set would sell fairly well. And considering that Kilrathi Saga got WC1 to run on windows without much problem, i dont see why privateer or privateer 2 would be a big deal. So what do you guys think? should we start a campaign? Ill be happy to write up a sample letter that people can mail to EA. Id say do e-mails, but real snail mail seems to have more impact with companies.

I think its a great idea. I would most definately buy it, regardless of the cost.

ChrisReid said:
Well, Secret Ops had fifty missions and dozens of pages of backstory to go along with each of them. It had in-engine cutscenes, narrated story driven dialogue and some flash movies online. You don't get to watch the talking heads, but there's at least as much story to it as something like Wing Commander 1.

Yea, it just didnt quite have the same feel to it. Ever since WC3 it was like an interactive Movie, SO didnt feel like that.

Lets be clear on something, future video game historians: the term interactive movie comes from the *original* Wing Commander, not Wing Commander III. It means that the game tried to put you in the middle of a big movie-style story and it tried to make the experience as engrossing as possible (ie, bit of your cockpit blowing up instead of having a little screen that gives a 'X% damage' meter).

This may seem like a meaningless distinction in 2006 -- but that's because pretty much every single modern game owes *something* to that original interactive movie. Wing Commander III is an interactive movie because it follows this design philosophy, not because you literally have video sequences where you choose what to do (and lets face it, that idea is something of a joke - it's those 1930s 'Theaters of the Future!' where the audience gets to choose what happens next in a movie writ small).

Let me be clear about what I said, I didnt meen Interactive movie in the sence of choosing what you said durring an FMV scene. What I ment was more like the sence of actully makeing a difference in the outcome of the game, with WC1-WCP it gave me anyways, the sence that i was actually takeing part in the story over all, SO just seemed like a series of blind missions. I think they could have added more of the fiction to the game itself, wouldnt have been as bad.

PattyMan2001 said:
Let me be clear about what I said, I didnt meen Interactive movie in the sence of choosing what you said durring an FMV scene. What I ment was more like the sence of actully makeing a difference in the outcome of the game, with WC1-WCP it gave me anyways, the sence that i was actually takeing part in the story over all, SO just seemed like a series of blind missions.

It wasn't. The missions branched and changed depending on your performance just like any other Wing Commander game. The game generated different winning and losing passwords that you plugged into the Secret Ops website which changed the story fiction you were presented with. There were three endgames depending on how you did.

I would buy it. :) Can't find my WC(1) disks :(. Some of my Cd's in WC4 don't work anymore. So I would love to get my hands on this and play the whole series over again.

Dran said:
I would buy it. :) Can't find my WC(1) disks :(. Some of my Cd's in WC4 don't work anymore. So I would love to get my hands on this and play the whole series over again.

All WC games are readily available on Ebay and Half.com. All but Kilrathi Saga are reasonably priced.

Not entirely implausible. Wasn't someone selling discs 1 and 2 of Kilrathi Saga last week?

Yes a box set would be nice and I would gladly pay for it. (Why not I have multiple of all the rest. )

It the very least I would love to see.
1 The unreleased Prophecy DVD :D
2 SO disk with website/fiction on it or better year IN the game so we don’t have leave the game to read it.
3 WCIII with the level of video in the 3DO and the extra scenes.
4 Privateer and RF And we might well have P2 (maybe with better quality video thought I think it still looks good.)
5 might as well though in WCIV DVD as well. (double sided of course.)

PattyMan2001 said:
SO just seemed like a series of blind missions. I think they could have added more of the fiction to the game itself, wouldnt have been as bad.

SO has TONS of fiction. It was just mostly all on-line and not accessible from inside the game. It’s only major drawback :( as far as I’m concerned. Chris is quite right

CHrisReid said:
It wasn't. The missions branched and changed depending on your performance just like any other Wing Commander game. The game generated different winning and losing passwords that you plugged into the Secret Ops website which changed the story fiction you were presented with. There were three endgames depending on how you did.

PattyMan2001 said:
I need to get my hands on KS disk 3, I have all the other ones but for some reason that one was lost :mad: :p

LeHah said:
Not entirely implausible. Wasn't someone selling discs 1 and 2 of Kilrathi Saga last week?

A regular DOS WC3 disc 2 will work too. Some things like music might not work right, but it'll be playable until you can get to the next disc and it'll be cheaper/easier to get one of those than a KS disc.

hey whats up everyone, i currently have a great writer I know coming up with a near perfectly worded letter im going to be sending to EA about a box set. Im going to send it via snail mail also, as they seem to carry a little more weight. once its finalized, ill post it here and i urge all of you to send a letter by postal mail as well. perhaps we can get a little "miracle on 34th street" effect going over at EA.

Also i forgot a game to add.

who wouldnt like a pc conversion of the mac/3do "Super Wing Commander"!!

what do you think?

floodcasso2 said:
hey whats up everyone, i currently have a great writer I know coming up with a near perfectly worded letter im going to be sending to EA about a box set. Im going to send it via snail mail also, as they seem to carry a little more weight. once its finalized, ill post it here and i urge all of you to send a letter by postal mail as well. perhaps we can get a little "miracle on 34th street" effect going over at EA.

Also i forgot a game to add.

who wouldnt like a pc conversion of the mac/3do "Super Wing Commander"!!

what do you think?

Id be happy to post your letter to EA. In my opinion this is a positive thing, what does everyone else think?

i dont particularly think thats true. A lot of that thread was based upon the usage of those petition signing websites, which in my opinion carry very little weight with the professional world. Actually spending the few cents on paper and a stamp though seems to carry a little more weight with opinions.

now true it is implausible that a simple letter writing campaign will spawn a release like this. However, people have to make themselves known that there is an interest in the pc community for a release like this. Now if the 10 year collectors box of command and conquer does well, i'd say our chances at a wing commander set will improve dramatically. Besides, not much has to be done to WC1 WC2 and WC3 to get them from running primarily on win 98 to xp or vista, WC4 shouldnt be too difficult since it is more or less based on the WC 3 architecture. Most of the work would probably go into privateer, and privateer 2, and possibly Super WC.

Ill post the letter here when its done, and I urge people to send off a copy to EA anyway, whether it works or not, at least we will have let people know that there is an interest in a product like that.

Back