Wing Commander Chess

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Which pieces would translate best into superfuturistic spacecraft thingies?

My picks:

Confed (blue, white)

Pawns: Hellcat :p
Rooks: Paradigm
Knight: Broadsword
Bishops: Venture
Queen: Excalibur
King: Concordia

Kilrathi (black, red)

Pawns: Dralthi
Rooks: Fralthi
Knights: Paktahn
Bishops: Corvette
Queen: Bloodfang
King: Hakaga

Discuss.

Mmmmh... I'd go for a classic WC1 version... :)

Confed (blue, white)

Pawns: Hornet
Knights: Scimitar
Bishops: Rapier
Rooks: Raptor
Queen: Exeter
King: Tiger's Claw

Kilrathi (black, red)

Pawns: Salthi
Knights: Dralthi
Bishops: Krant
Rooks: Jalthi
Queen: Ralari
King: Fralthi

Or perhaps a Kilrathi Saga cocktail...

Confed (blue, white)

Pawns: Hornet
Knights: Rapier
Bishops: Thunderbolt
Rooks: Excalibur
Queen: Waterloo
King: Concordia

Kilrathi (black, red)

Pawns: Salthi
Knights: Dralthi IV
Bishops: Strakha
Rooks: Paktahn
Queen: Ralatha
King: Dreadnought

I like the mixing of the WC series the best, but it wouldn't make a very marketable board game. I think I'll have to go with the WC3 setup myself . . .

Even though I really do like the Hellcat(general purpose freak that I am), I'd have to put it as a pawn since it is definitely the most used and least appreciated fighter.

Excalibur has to go in the knights spot, since it was the "knight in shining armor" for Confed and also since it was the most "jinxy" (movement wise) fighter in WC3 (I'm leaving the Arrow out)

The bow has to be the bishop since they have long striking power, though somewhat limited movement

The thud has to be the rook, defensive with long strike power and decent manueverability

A Tallahassee cruiser would be my queen (it seems only right to have the queen be a capship too)

And of course the King would be the Victory

Confed(Blue,white):

Pawns: Hellcat
Knights: Excalibur
Bishops: Longbow
Rooks: Thunderbolt
Queen: Tallahassee
King: Victory

Kilrathi (black, red)

Pawns: Dralthi IV (most used fighter)
Knights: Vaktoth
Bishops: Paktahn
Rooks: Corvette
Queen: Fralthi
King: Dreadnought

But if you really want all fighters and just the victory as king, I'd have to go with this lineup, matching Confed and Kilrathi fighters:

Confed(Blue,white):

Pawns: Arrow
Knights: Hellcat
Bishops: Longbow
Rooks: Thunderbolt
Queen: Excalibur
King: Victory

Kilrathi (black, red)

Pawns: Darket
Knights: Dralthi IV
Bishops: Paktahn
Rooks: Vaktoth
Queen: Bloodfang or Sorthak
King: Bhantkara(due to the fact that you don't even see the dreadnaught unless you fail and I need a carrier against a carrier)

C-ya

I gotta go with WC1...

Confed-
Pawn: Hornet
Castle Guy: Raptor
Horse: Scimitar
Priest: Rapier
Queen: Exeter
King: Tiger's Claw

Kilrathi-
Pawn: Salthi
Castle Guy: Gratha
Horse: Krant
Priest: Dralthi
Queen: Fralthi
King: Snakeir

If you're gonna do such a disservice to the Arrow, by making it a Pawn to ther Hellcat Knight... Just remember which was more manoeuvreable. ;)

Arrow takes Hellcat. Check.

Arrow kicks the living **** outta Hellcat. Any time, any place. :)

But, cost-wise, I guess this makes sense, since you can build more Arrows than Hellcats.

Certainly the point-defense variant of the Arrow would make a better pawn than the Hellcat.

I'd love to see something like this, for the point of it being "animated." There was some chess game on the computer, can't remember it's name for the life of me (little help?) that had animated "fight scenes" when you were taking a piece. That'd be cool in a computer version of this. (Now if we're talking just plain, use a board/piece chess, I'd probably actually like to see that more. :) )

Originally posted by Skyfire
I'd love to see something like this, for the point of it being "animated." There was some chess game on the computer, can't remember it's name for the life of me (little help?) that had animated "fight scenes" when you were taking a piece. That'd be cool in a computer version of this. (Now if we're talking just plain, use a board/piece chess, I'd probably actually like to see that more. :) )

You're thinking of Battle Chess. It was a PC title. I own the 3DO port. It's pretty cool. The animations were entertaining for the first 100 times :)

Then they made several variants with the same idea as Battle Chess... they even made a Star Wars version... anyone play that? :)

Originally posted by mpanty
Then they made several variants with the same idea as Battle Chess... they even made a Star Wars version... anyone play that? :)

Wow, I was just making fun of Star Wars Chess for the SegaCD earlier today.

If I'd make a WC chess game I guess I'd use marines as pawns, Admiral Tolwyn as the King, Blair as the queen (the most powerfull piece) etc. For the Kilrathi side I'd use the Emperor as King and Thrakath as queen.

Eheh I like the idea of using the characters...

Let's see...

Confed:

Pawns: marines
Knights: Maniac
Bishops: Vagabond
Rooks: Angel
Queen: Blair
King: Tolwyn

Kilrathi:

Pawns: imperial guards
Knights: Bakhtosh Redclaw
Bishops: Kasra
Rooks: Hobbes :p
Queen: Thrakhath
King: Emperor

Why Vagabond as Bishop and Angel as Rook ?
My problem with characters as chess figures is the thought of having some of them twice, e.g. two Maniacs.

BTW: It's Khasra. :p

Why Vagabond as Bishop and Angel as Rook ?
Well now that you mention it, I'd rather pick Paladin as the bishops. :p Or even Angel as bishops and Paladin as rooks...
My problem with characters as chess figures is the thought of having some of them twice, e.g. two Maniacs.
Well if you take a look at the Star Wars version of Battle Chess you'll notice that there are two Chewbacca (knights) and two C-3PO (bishops), unless u want to be nitpicky and claim that these are in fact ordinary Wookies and droids... :p
This to say it didn't bother the programmers, and doesn't bother me either...
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

BTW: It's Khasra. :-p
Khasra... I stand corrected... :)

I'd actually be pretty partial to a real Wing Commander chess set.
hmm...maybe if I had reference pictures for every character needed I could carve something outta wood...

Originally posted by Anagram
Why can no one win in a conversation with LOAF?
LOAF has, on rare occassions, made mistakes. :)

Originally posted by mpanty
Rooks: Angel
I think it'd make more sense to have her as Queen, but then you'd probably have to bump off Tolwyn (heh, heh). Admit it, there are to many WC characters, even 'main' ones.

BTW, not that I support this attitude, I'm surprised no one thought to stick the Epee as a pawn. :)

Back