Wing Commander Armada...

Starblazer

Spaceman
Greetings All,

Playing PrivR has got me all nostalgic *snif* and I realized I have missed out on some of the series...I have the original WC & WC2, WCP, Priv, Priv2, but never played WC3 WC4 and was looking on Amazon.com and found WC armada....now this may seem like a silly question considering the wonderfulness of the above ones, but is WCA any good?

Just asking...

Thanx,

Starblazer

good concept, though the AI kind of stunk.

You will be happy to know that armada is also being remade, the project, pyarmada, is python based, and will use the VS engine (same engine priv remake is based off of) for combat

Armada is turn based strategy, but you can choose to fly in combat if you so desire.
Its a decent enough game, if you like the whole strategy genre, you mine resources and build fighters and all that good stuff, you only have one carrier under your control(still wish there were a few more cap ships). Personally its one of my favorites.

If you're a WC fan you should get it just to try flying some kilrathi fighters...and some new confed ones too

Descent game, but a must have if as mentioned above you are a true WC fan

Descent n Act of descending; declivity; invasion; a passing from an ancestor to an heir; lineage; distance from the common ancestor; descendants; a ramk in the scale of subordination.

Perhaps the word one's looking for is

Decent a Becoming; seemly; respectable; modest; moderate.

Armada is by far my favorite wing commander. The AI is no worse than any other wing commander before it. A definite must have. I'm not really into the strategic element of it, and rarely play the campaign mode, but the guantlet and multiplayer battles are great.

Funny that we had exactly the same thread a few months ago... Sure, go for it, Armada really rocks.

Corsair(pilot) said:
... but the guantlet and multiplayer battles are great.

Corsair, how do you do multiplayer? Do you have an IPX network setup, or any other way get get the boxes talking to each other?

A friend and I had a couple of older machines 166mhz with 16mb ram that ran Armada like a dream. We played through modem and it was beautiful. His has since crapped out, and I never got a chance to play Proving Grounds. I would love nothing more than to get an Armada dogfight going with somebody.

Edfilho said:
Funny that we had exactly the same thread a few months ago... Sure, go for it, Armada really rocks.

This is actually the third or fourth time this exact thread has popped up in the last six months or so.

Graphics in Armada are also suprisingly nice!

That's another part I loved about it. The game engine provided that transitional feel between classic wing commander and wing commander 3. It made alot of the changes in wc3 feel not quite as drastic.

Armada was made with a vga-only version of the WC3-4 engine, and it is the BEST VGA graphics of the series, even better than the VGA mode of WC3-4

And not only Armada is a great game on its own right, it is also quite unique among other WC games. And other games in general... There is NOTHING like it anywhere that I know of. The manual itself is a good reason for buying the game.

I think people ask that a lot because the game is kinda the wildcard of WCU. one knows pretty well what to expect from all other games, but armada is kinda misterious.

these games refer to a VGA mode and a SVGA mode, being VGA= 320x240 (or something like that) and SVGA= 640x480. Then resolutions started to grow really fast and people stopped using these terms...

Back