Wing Commander Arena Tournament This Saturday (January 23, 2008)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
To celebrate the six month anniversary of Wing Commander Arena, the CIC is throwing a big tournament this Saturday! The event kicks off at 3:00 pm Eastern time (12:00 pm noon Pacific and 8:00 pm GMT) via XBox Live and #Wingnut. Participants will be playing in ranked free-for-all matches on the Space Station and/or Boneyard maps. Each session will have a CIC staff member to observe and tally the final scores. Top players will advance to successive rounds and compete to win fabulous prizes! Sign up and let us know you'll be there! Walk-up players will be welcome, but confirming now will help us plan. Now's your chance to hook up with some friends and start practicing. Feel free to stop by #Wingnut early and get set up. See you there!

--
Original update published on January 23, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how long I'll be there (I'm normally asleep in the afternoon, as a 3rd shift worker, but I have Friday night off work, so I can probably jiggle my sleep schedule a bit), but I'll try to be there at least for part of it.

I'm working till four, but I'll try to poke in when I get home. Also I can never seem to find any matches, is there not that many players?

Jim
Xbox gamer tag MadMedicJim

I'll toss my hat in for this one, even though it'll be the first time I've ever played with anyone online.

Crap, I'll be gone most of the weekend and especially Saturday night. :( (Birthday marathon: 5 Birthdays in 2 days)

I wish you lots of fun though.

Jim
Xbox gamer tag MadMedicJim

By the way, you can put your GT in your profile, in the "Additional information" section of your CIC forum control panel. With that, you get the clickable info boxes on the left put on your posts, that direct you to the xbox.com site to look up gamertag profiles.

Damn, I wasn't going to be around this saturday, I'd really like to make this tournament so I may try and change things around.

Is the signup link supposed to take me to any special webpage for saturday's tournament? When I click on it I just go back to the CIC main page.

While I can't be there for the start of the tournament (I'm doing some kind of first aid course on saturday for work) I'll try and pop on later in the evening to see if anyone is still playing... I really hope the enthusiasm keeps a bunch of you guys playing for a while.

One thing of note that I observed when LOAF was in the EA Arena tournament with all the other game press websites a while back, Once a match is over, do not exit the match right away. When the match ends, stay on the score screen. If it's a team match, all-speak turns on during the score screen and that time will be essential for comunicating who won and what the next match will be and who is progressing and what not. I'm sure the CIC guys will post some more clear directions closer to the tournament time.

I'm working till four, but I'll try to poke in when I get home. Also I can never seem to find any matches, is there not that many players?

There's lots of players from the CIC, but the main crowd mostly follows the new games. There's only a couple older ones that have large player bases. But you can always schedule events with people from here.

Is the signup link supposed to take me to any special webpage for saturday's tournament? When I click on it I just go back to the CIC main page.

The sign-up links to this thread. Due to the continuing problems with XBox.com and XBox Live, sometimes this causes the forum to misload when it calls for gamertag info and sends you back a page.

One thing of note that I observed when LOAF was in the EA Arena tournament with all the other game press websites a while back, Once a match is over, do not exit the match right away. When the match ends, stay on the score screen. If it's a team match, all-speak turns on during the score screen and that time will be essential for comunicating who won and what the next match will be and who is progressing and what not. I'm sure the CIC guys will post some more clear directions closer to the tournament time.

Yeah, it's important that people log into #Wingnut prior to the tournament. The EA tournament had all competitors dial into a conference call phone line to keep everyone on the same page. We'll be doing this via IRC. Everyone should be present just prior to the tournament start time so that we can take roll and send game invites to the proper people. If your computer is not in the same room as your XBox, it's also important to stay at the scoreboard and get instructions like AD said.

The sign-up links to this thread. Due to the continuing problems with XBox.com and XBox Live, sometimes this causes the forum to misload when it calls for gamertag info and sends you back a page.

Yeah I was experiencing a lot of that a few weeks ago, but it seems alright now.

Back