Wing Commander Academy DVD order?

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
12+ hours per episode is killing me. Anyone out there willing to put a copy onto DVD(s) for me? I'm willing to pay for the DVD(s) and postage. Please I'm desperate. :(

That's, what, 6 days? It'd probably take longer than 6 days to work out a deal and wait for the discs to arrive.

But good luck anyway.

My internet company has an AUP. If I breach an average of 18 hours in a 10 day period it cuts my service. Plus I do a lot of gaming and that on the net which would mean 12 hours + an additonal 5 or so hours so I'm coming pretty close to getting my account banned for a week.
Besides, it would be great if I could have them on DVD anyway.

I working on it ^_^

I'm actually working on this right now, using my iMac and iDVD. All 13 episodes should fit snugly on two discs, with no loss of quality.

Let me work at it over the weekend, and tell you how it turns out. If all goes well... I'd be happy to send a few your way :)

Well...

Well, I *did* say I was working on it ^_^

iDVD hates anything over 90 minutes, so it looks like, at normal quality, I can only fit 4 episodes to a DVD. Not bad, though: 4 DVD's for the entire series.

I'm using a brushed metal-esque template, trying to match the WC movie DVD menus. I'm also using music from the first WC game on the menus. It helps add an air of authenticity to the DVD, and gives the viewer a bit of nostalgia (hopefully!) as well.

Once again, this is a work in progress, but if anyone is interested, I'll do my best to help you out :-D

That's some pretty exciting news dude! Especially about the menus (and the inclusion of music from the first game, my personal favourite track)! All we need now is printed pictures on the DVD and we have Official/Unofficial Wing Commander Academy DVDs!
Great work with this though! I for one am looking very forward to it!

Success.... for now

Well, I burned disc 1 this morning, and it turned out perfectly :-D

The first 4 episodes, complete with animated menus and the WC theme from the first game. At this rate, yes, the series will fall on 4 DVD's. Completely "unofficial," but eh, at least it works :)

The disc plays fine in my stand-alone DVD player as well as my computer. I don't know if this will hold true for everyone, but usually, DVD-R's will work on about 88% of all household DVD players.

Of course, I could always just mail you the files, themselves, on a few CD-R's, DyNaMiX. It would be a bit quicker for you.. but I'll let you be the judge. Either way, I'll try and put the entire series on DVD because, well, I want to watch them that way, myself!

Since DVD-making programs compress all kinds and sizes of video to a playable standard, using the original DV episodes won't be notably better than what Commissar is using.

It's a single compression (source-MPEG2) rather than two compressions (source-DIVX-MPEG2), though - would that be any improvement?

Update

Well, I've been working pretty much all morning and afternoon on this, and the results are good. By the end of the day, all 4 DVD's should be completed :)

All have a brushed-metal menu pallet similar to what was seen in the WC movie. Animated menus are here, as well. Gold text is used to contrast with the silver background. Music, in the order which the song will appear on the DVD's, is the WC Main Theme, WC Briefing Room, WC Fighter Scramble, and WC Mission 2.

The first DVD had a slight menu problem (i.e. tilted to one side) that I have managed to correct. I *will not* give these DVD's to anyone until I feel they are the best that I can do. By this evening, they should all be completed, bugs worked out and all.

Bandit LOAF, the DV source may be useful, but I don't have the software to test it out with (nor do I have the DV sources ^_^). Try it if you wish; the results will probably be better than the 210 mb .avi files you can download from the site.

On that note, the quality of the episodes is rather good, even when displayed on a larger TV. Note that just because the episodes are on DVD, they are NOT DVD QUALITY! I'm only using what you can download from the site, and while the quality of the videos is rather good, you will notice some dithering and artifacting on a few episodes as a result of the .avi compression.

*if anyone read all that.. hats off to you :)*

I'll post another update once I've finished with the entire set. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but at the moment, all systems are go :-D

All done...

...save for DVD 4, which I shall wrap up tomorrow.

:)

This worked out even better that I thought! DyNaMiX, please e-mail me, and we can set something up. I'll send you a few screenshots, and if it looks good to you, we can go from there.

Cheers, everyone. If anyone else is interested in the series of DVDs, just let me know :)

Well...

...can I post that information here? I think it might violate the terms of use to do so...

E-mail me, and I'll give you a quote. I think the price is very reasonable, as I am really only asking for enough to cover the shipping fees and the costs of the DVD's I'm burning.

Each DVD, I plan, will have a printed cover on the disc, as well as its own jewel case. I don't have any DVD cases as of yet... but for a little bit more, I'd be willing to go out and purchase a pack of cases. The options are yours, of course; shipping for just the DVD's in slimline cases would be a bit cheaper, and wouldn't cost as much in materials, either.

Anyone who is interested, please e-mail me. My address should be in my profile.

ANY MODERATORS: please post here if I have posted anything I shouldn't have. Last thing I want to do is endanger someone's account!

----------------

On a side note, I just got home, and am resuming the encoding of disc 4. When it wraps up, I'll burn it to ensure it works, then post here.

Thanks for all you support, everyone!!

All right

After reviewing the forum rules, I don't see any area that states I can't "conduct business" with other board members. So... here's the pricing info, et al, for the Wing Commander Academy DVD set:

One Basic Set (4 unlabeled DVD's [marked with a sharpie instead], all 13 episodes, animated menus with music, and 4 slimline cases) = $10.00

One Standard Set (4 labeled DVD's, all 13 episodes, animated menus with music, and 4 clear jewel cases) = $12.00

One Deluxe Set (4 labeled DVD's, all 13 episodes, animated menus with music, and 4 DVD-style cases with printed bookings/insert) = $15.00

ALL PRICES INCLUDE USPS SHIPPING!!

If you are interested, please e-mail me, and we'll discuss shipping addresses and payment options. If you have any questions, please e-mail me with those, as well.

I will test any burned DVD before I sell them, making sure they play in a computer as well as a stand-alone consumer DVD player. I CANNOT GUARANTEE COMPATIBILITY, but DVD-R discs will play in about 85-97% of all consumer-level DVD players.

That's the draw, guys. Thanks to EVERYONE for your support in this matter; I hope I can help make it pay off :)

And yes, Bandio LOAF, I can promise you those quotes were NOT made with profit in mind.

This is a service I want to make available to everyone. The add-ons mentioned in the listing will cost an additional amount on my part, which I pass on with the increased prices. I know I can't prove that to you (or anyone else!), but trust me, the last thiing I want to do is endanger my privilages (or anyone else's) as a user with this matter. I became a user just so I could post my progress with making these DVD's, and to actually offer the completed copies to people is something like a dream come true!

It's the culmination of my work, and I am treating it as such. Once again, this is a service on my part; I'm not a store, I'm not a dealer... I'm a fan, just wanting to help everyone out. If you feel anything was done in error on my part, please tell me, and I'll correct it.

Thanks for your understanding, Bandit LOAF. And thanks again for letting me help DyNaMiX and the others out!!!

:-D

Back