Wing Commander 7?

Originally posted by Millzy
i think it would be pretty cool for a new WC game on PS2 or Xbox... using animation instead of live actors... i can picture it looking like Final Fantasy X.... that type of graphics... you could still have different options and so on... maybe they could use Casey again like in WCP... well i guess we will just have to see how well it sells on GBA first....

What??No way.....I didnt like any other Wc in console...

Wc is better on PC .....

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
What??No way.....I didnt like any other Wc in console...

Wc is better on PC .....

For a long list of reasons, it'd probably be better for us all if WC were made on a console. That's how many of us got into WC in fact.

that's how i discovered WC... i first played WC1 on the old SNES.... now i just play the rom of it on my computer as well as the secret missions game

i first played swc on the 3DO... then WC3 on the 3DO, then wc4 on the pc, followed by prophecy, secret ops, wc3pc, and finaly wc2 and wc1 on the pc

Originally posted by ChrisReid
For a long list of reasons, it'd probably be better for us all if WC were made on a console. That's how many of us got into WC in fact.

Well,I first played it on my Amiga500....

But look at PSX version of Wc3 Wc4,its really nothing compared to the PC one....

I don't think Wing Commander belongs on consoles a. because Wing Commander originated off the PC b. the PC has alwasy had a more cinematic feel than consoles c. even though you can get joysticks for consoles...it still doesn't live up to the ease of a computer joystick and keyboard. Why would you want to have animated cutscenes (even though they were for WC 1 & 2, Privateer and so on) when live action, I feel, is the best way to deliver the story. The only drawback is the requirements issue. For a console, no one's PS2 is better than the other. But for the PC, we still got people stuck in the Windows 95 ages. But if you had a kick butt computer like mine....we'd have no problem:D If Wing Commander would go to consoles, it should only be if it's a port off the computer version, and not the other way around. I love my PS2, but I think the PC is the best medium for gaming and that Wing Commander deserves the best.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
But for the PC, we still got people stuck in the Windows 95 ages. But if you had a kick butt computer like mine....we'd have no problem:D

you be quite. my win98 400mhz pc works just fine.

a. because Wing Commander originated off the PC

As I've already said, many of us got our first glipse of WC on one of numerous consoles that have hosted WC games for more than a decade.

b. the PC has alwasy had a more cinematic feel than consoles

What are you thinking? When I watch a movie at home, I prefer not to hunker in front of my (admittedly 21") monitor, I sit on my couch in front of a nice big TV. Modern consoles all use some form of DVD and as such have the ability to present more cinema than any original WC game.

c. even though you can get joysticks for consoles...it still doesn't live up to the ease of a computer joystick and keyboard.

Again, what the hell are you thinking? You just plug a joystick into a console, push the power button and play. It's a million times easier to get into a console game.

Why would you want to have animated cutscenes (even though they were for WC 1 & 2, Privateer and so on) when live action, I feel, is the best way to deliver the story.

What does console or PC have anything to do with animated custscenes? Tons of PC games have animated cutscenes and numerous console games use live action video.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
As I've already said, many of us got our first glipse of WC on one of numerous consoles that have hosted WC games for more than a decade.

That doesn't change the fact that Wing Commander originated on a computer.

I don't think Wing Commander belongs on consoles a. because Wing Commander originated off the PC b. the PC has alwasy had a more cinematic feel than consoles c. even though you can get joysticks for consoles...it still doesn't live up to the ease of a computer joystick and keyboard. Why would you want to have animated cutscenes (even though they were for WC 1 & 2, Privateer and so on) when live action, I feel, is the best way to deliver the story. The only drawback is the requirements issue. For a console, no one's PS2 is better than the other. But for the PC, we still got people stuck in the Windows 95 ages. But if you had a kick butt computer like mine....we'd have no problem:D If Wing Commander would go to consoles, it should only be if it's a port off the computer version, and not the other way around. I love my PS2, but I think the PC is the best medium for gaming and that Wing Commander deserves the best.

I agree with you!I dont know why.I got lots of consoles (old and new),But at least Wc kind of games,simulations and Strategies,I prefer to play them on my PC...

Also,Imagine the controls in a new Wc game in a console.... :(
They will be just like the PSX and SNES and 3do versions... :(

Anybody played Starlancer on the Dreamcast?

What's the controls like on that, since the PC verison had a lot of key controls

Thats exactly what I m talking about......Consoles are not for that kind of games....

A prime example of this is Hidden and Dangerous, the PSX version is complete Shite (pardon my french :D), since the game really needs a keyboard, plus you can only choose one man for a mission instead of having 4, and the PSX version is only 1st Person

What are you thinking? When I watch a movie at home, I prefer not to hunker in front of my (admittedly 21") monitor, I sit on my couch in front of a nice big TV. Modern consoles all use some form of DVD and as such have the ability to present more cinema than any original WC game.

Okay let's compare Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to Medal (PC) of Honor: Frontline (PS2). They are both great games, but I feel that MOHAA is presented alot better than Frontline or how shall I say it, cinematic feel (so shoot me). Allied Assault actually makes you feel like you are running up Omaha Beach. In Frontline there are only like 5 other Allied soldiers running with you, but in AA there are more like 25 - 30. Frontline is marred by bad and slow control whereas AA is a breeze with your mouse and directional buttons. Let's go back to little game called Colony Wars that was on PSX. It was a great game but it was kind of hard to aim with two sticks. And with PC's it is always advancing, you may have to upgrade but it's getting better every day. With a console you are stuck until a newer and better one comes out. I mean look at NVIDIA's new geforceFX. Go check out the launch video at nvidia.com . That my friends shows that the PC is becoming a more cinematic medium to play on than consoles.
No I don't sit in front of my 19 inch Trinitron to watch a dvd. But I can plug the computer into my TV and with the power of the G4 4600 it proves a better dvd player when plugged into an HD than alot of Proggesive scan players. Now I only have a 32" but my friend has a 56" widescreen and he hooks his computer up to his TV and it is clearly better than using a proggesive scan player. So of course you can ban me if you want but I think that the PC is far superior to any consoles.

OK,we shouldnt start comparing games now.We are talking about WC console-pc.

I think its clear ,that the PC version is better for WC.Cause of Controls,cause of cinematics,cause of various things :p

Okay let's compare Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to Medal (PC) of Honor: Frontline (PS2). They are both great games, but I feel that MOHAA is presented alot better than Frontline or how shall I say it, cinematic feel (so shoot me). Allied Assault actually makes you feel like you are running up Omaha Beach. In Frontline there are only like 5 other Allied soldiers running with you, but in AA there are more like 25 - 30. Frontline is marred by bad and slow control whereas AA is a breeze with your mouse and directional buttons. Let's go back to little game called Colony Wars that was on PSX. It was a great game but it was kind of hard to aim with two sticks. And with PC's it is always advancing, you may have to upgrade but it's getting better every day. With a console you are stuck until a newer and better one comes out. I mean look at NVIDIA's new geforceFX.

Colony Wars is an extremely dated example. Many many games today take full advantage of dual analog sticks and use them well. Most all the issues you have with Frontline were spruced up for the XBox version. And as you mentioned a while back, when you're dealing with a console you've got a baseline minimum spec defined across the platform. There's no programming for the least common denominator. In the case of the XBox, everyone's got a Geforce 3. How long will it be until PC games are written to a Geforce 3 minimum requirement? (About the time the successors to the current generation of consoles come out) You can do that on a console right now.

Back