Wing Commander 4 DVD in WindowsXP (w/ DirectShow)

I contacted gulikoza and he told me to try an older version of the dxmci, and that worked together with the mpeg2dec. (on the XP)

The problem is, as I already told Darkon, the latest v1.5 download no longer includes the modified mpeg2.dll. Without the modified dll, wc4 won't load dxmci. Even the original distribution of the modified file is somewhat shady, but I certainly cannot include it in the GPL package. The best way would be for dxmci to modify the files on-the-fly when installed (via configuration dialog for example), but I never had the time to implement that functionality :D

WC4 (dual sided) DVD is running fine in my machine, except it can't recognize my Joystick. Any suggestions? It's a regular Wingman Extreme 3D Pro (USB).

Have you tried alt-tabbing out to Windows and calibrating it in the control panel, then switching back and making sure Joystick flight control is enabled?

Have you tried alt-tabbing out to Windows and calibrating it in the control panel, then switching back and making sure Joystick flight control is enabled?

I solved it by 1) Switching from win98 compatibility to Win95 and 2) actually choosing the joystick as the preferred device in the game controller control panel.

Is the video for WC4 on DVD supposed to be just a wee bit faster than on CD? Is it just that it looks smoother? Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is my computer playing the video too fast somehow?

Is the video for WC4 on DVD supposed to be just a wee bit faster than on CD? Is it just that it looks smoother? Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is my computer playing the video too fast somehow?

There are two version of WC4 on DVD. The double sided one has DVD quality video. The difference is pretty self evident. However the single sided one is pretty much identical to the CD version with the exception of being on one disk.

It's the doublesided one. The video playback seems as though it's in PAL format, a bit of a quicker playback, if anyone has ever checked out differences between PAL and NTSC. It's not a huge difference, but it's definitely being played faster than it should. Luckily, replacing that DCWXI.dll or whatever file with an older version has slowed down the video to a manageable pace, but it's still noticeable.

Completely normal sound throughout, though. Strange, yeah? Ah well. Good enough for me. I'm going to spend all day playing it. 'Til Lost is on, anyhow.

Thanks, but when i open it up it says "Entry Point not found." Does anyone know how to fix it-or was it already discussed on a page of this topic?

It says something can't be located in the dynamic link library mpeg2.
what did you do to install it? Did you unzip it to your WC4 install directory? did you set the compatability of the WC4 exe? Did you you run register.bat within the WC4 directory? Do you actually have a software DVD player or codec installed on your setup?
Really, if you want help with a tech issue it really helps to be as detailed and specific about the issues you are having as possible.

EDIT:
This should work with the wing commander 4 CD to DVD upgrade patch, right?

No, no, no... Don't install the DVD patch over the CD to DVD patch. The CD to DVD patch is A) only for the CD version and B) has everything you should need to get the game running with the DVD movies.

Also, if you forgot something, you have 2 hours to edit you posts. Just amend the first post instead of adding another unless - for example - you are responding to two distinct things or people within a given thread.

I did a complete install of the CD upgrade patch by itself, with WC4 completely deleted from my hard drive. If i don't use the this patch 3 error messages pop up saying:
-Error: An object or name was not found
-DXMCI Error: Error loading video
-Missing movie: c:\vob\sc_0010a.dll

I did a complete install of the CD upgrade patch by itself, with WC4 completely deleted from my hard drive. If i don't use the this patch 3 error messages pop up saying:
-Error: An object or name was not found
-DXMCI Error: Error loading video
-Missing movie: c:\vob\sc_0010a.dll

You have to install your CD copy first. Then apply the CD to DVD patch to your install. Then set compatability mode of the WC4 exe to win98. Then make sure all your VOB files are in the VOB directory within your WC4 install (c:\wc4\VOB\ )

Thanks for the help! it works great.
However there's just one minor thing- the keboard or mouse don't work unless i miniize the game and click it again. Is there a way to fix that?

EDIT: I found out how to fix it- i just din't run it in compatibility mode.

Ok guys sorry to barge in but I really have been banging my head on a wall for 2 days now.
First thing, I'm actually on a Win 7 64bit system but I didn't feel like opening a whole other thread for this problem so sorry it's a bit ot.

This is what I have been trying. I installed the game, put DXMCI contents in my wc4 folder. Then I put the mpeg2.dll into wc4 folder. Put the game in compatibility mode (98, 95, XP, tried all of them). But when I start the game the sounds play fine but I just can't see any video. I can skip to the dialogue choices and select one, but then still no video.

Now from what I gather I am missing the codecs. I tried to install mpeg2dec but when I click on "register.bat" I get an error message saying: "The module mpeg2decfilter.ax was loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005".

I tried using the alternate mpeg2.dll but it still won't work (no video), it actually gives me the same error message that I'm supposed to get if I have the newer wc4 version (so I suppose my version is not actually the newer but the 'standard' one). I have tried just for kicks to use the alternate nstriker patch but it won't work, says file size mismatches so I think it's a confirmation that I have the standard version. Anyone can help please?

-> Notes: I tried downloading the Ligos codecs which I read worked for galikoza but still no video. Also as a sidenote, if I just launch the game videos with VLC I can see them fine, I just can't get them to play when I start the game :(

Back