Wing Commander 2-3 scoreboard transfer.

This will be my one-time excursion to the 'dark side' with the exception of my planned play-thru of WC4. I won't post the hex details here, and am keeping the innards stuff off the public forums to prevent abuse. That should hopefully mollify things a bit.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with hex-editing the WC games or posting about it here at the message boards. What there is a problem with is trying to submit fraudulent Standoff scores and attempting to break our SQL server.

I'm not sure what's needed to prove my innocence for the Standoff scores. I've not played for a long time, so I'd like to help out if it's acceptable to see where the source is coming from. And to reiterate, I've never hexed into them or played the Gauntlet or other simulator missions.

This will be my one-time excursion to the 'dark side' with the exception of my planned play-thru of WC4. I won't post the hex details here, and am keeping the innards stuff off the public forums to prevent abuse. That should hopefully mollify things a bit.

I'm with you on this one. Just don't do anything stupid..

Bandit, there is so few of us who replay the Wing Commander series.. In other words, we need every good pilot we can get ;) DaveO is very active post-writer..

I'm not sure what's needed to prove my innocence for the Standoff scores. I've not played for a long time, so I'd like to help out if it's acceptable to see where the source is coming from. And to reiterate, I've never hexed into them or played the Gauntlet or other simulator missions.

Kris can post about the details, he's the tech guy. Several days ago "DaveO" (and these are tied to your CZ accounts!) edited his Standoff client to submit a number of fake gauntlet scores (Time 0, Kills 9999 and the like)... and, failing that, he decided to try and break the SQL-whateverface by submitting various commands in commas after the score. Luckily, Kris and HCl are smarter than that (I certainly wouldn't be.)

Bandit, there is so few of us who replay the Wing Commander series.. In other words, we need every good pilot we can get DaveO is very active post-writer..

The sad thing is we actually talked about this the other day, but when someone else writes it it sounds so crazy. Good is the key word here...

As a preventative measure, I'll be changing my password. I think I know what's going on...I suspect some resources from my work doing this. They're SQL savvy, so it's time to stop browsing from work and change my password. I apologize for the inconvenience. It just shows that browsing from work is a very bad idea!

I would have also accepted:

"My brother was using my XBL account at the time. I didn't know he was using mods!"

Ok, standard disclaimers here. Kids, don't try this at home...

I probably should start with quick hex 101. Hex is base 16, so standard numbers are 0-9 with A-F being 10-15. Now do yourself a favor and backup before making any changes. After two saved game files at different spots, I found the likely area. Right before your selected callsign, there should be a hex number conforming with your kill score. In my save games the address position is hex offset 0006A0 or 00001696 in decimal. FINAL WARNING: Your score may be in a slightly different area due to callsign length, but a search in the file should find the target. Use your hex editor to change your score, but bear in mind that the number following your current kill count is a separate counter for values over 255. So for example, 257 should read 01 01. If this is too confusing, then post your values in the journals. I'd hate to cause a save game corruption and have you go thru a reinstall or not join us.

(I use very neat editor for Wing Commander 1 and Secret missions. You can add the pewter planet which you don't see when you start Secret missions after Vega, it also fixes the "random death of your wingman's" bug. I'm quite sure it was made by Wedge - thanks!)

I've always wondered if this could be done. Can you explain how you do this in more detail? I would like to keep the Pewter Planet when you move to SM1.

Ok, standard disclaimers here. Kids, don't try this at home...

I probably should start with quick hex 101. Hex is base 16, so standard numbers are 0-9 with A-F being 10-15. Now do yourself a favor and backup before making any changes. After two saved game files at different spots, I found the likely area. Right before your selected callsign, there should be a hex number conforming with your kill score. In my save games the address position is hex offset 0006A0 or 00001696 in decimal. FINAL WARNING: Your score may be in a slightly different area due to callsign length, but a search in the file should find the target. Use your hex editor to change your score, but bear in mind that the number following your current kill count is a separate counter for values over 255. So for example, 257 should read 01 01. If this is too confusing, then post your values in the journals. I'd hate to cause a save game corruption and have you go thru a reinstall or not join us.

Why do you have Standoff installed at work?

Open WC3, fly a mission and shoot down one thing, save the game.

Fly the same mission again and shoot down two things and save the game.

Compare the two files with your hex editor's comparison feature - you should be able to pick out where the kills are scored pretty easily.

No way I could get away with Standoff installed here at the office. The best I can do is SpaceCombat...

I don't have Standoff installed at work, so now there's a larger mystery going on. You would not happen to have trace logs or something I can look at? I need to nip this activity in the bud and find out why it's happening. I'm hoping that closing the work access is the solution, but now I'm confused. The scoreboard is tied into my account, but is Standoff required as well on whatever machine is attempting to make changes? If so, I can uninstall Standoff and just avoid the whole brouhaha.

I've always wondered if this could be done. Can you explain how you do this in more detail? I would like to keep the Pewter Planet when you move to SM1.

It is simple, you need to note how many kills/what medals you got in the last mission of Vega campaign. Than transfer Vega player into secret missions using Wing Commander transfer program, than run wcsav.exe (it has to be in gamedat directory). It's very easy to use, just add the kills you had in Vega's last mission and add the pewter planet to your medals. The bug will be fixed automaticly after you save. That's it! You've got all the kills/medals you should have! (you may do it again after winning Secret missions 1 last mission and when moving to Firrekka campaign, just use "wcsav.exe crusade.wld"). :cool:

Oh, of course use the WCSAV of Wing Commander1 from:

https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wc

Last edited by a moderator:
It is simple, you need to note how many kills/what medals you got in the last mission of Vega campaign. Than transfer Vega player into secret missions using Wing Commander transfer program, than run wcsav.exe (it has to be in gamedat directory). It's very easy to use, just add the kills you had in Vega's last mission and add the pewter planet to your medals. The bug will be fixed automaticly after you save. That's it! You've got all the kills/medals you should have! (you may do it again after winning Secret missions 1 last mission and when moving to Firrekka campaign, just use "wcsav.exe crusade.wld"). :cool:

Oh, of course use the WCSAV of Wing Commander1 from:

https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wc

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back