windows ME

Yes proton you are correct. The next version of windows isn't windows at all!!! It's, you guessed it......whistler!!! at least thats what they are calling it right now anyways. It runs on a whole new kernal, which is supposed to be loosely based off of the nt kernal.

Not for you, maybe, but Whistler reminds me of a certain astromech droid... but that's a whole different universe.

Whistler is supposed to be unix based with (i hope to god not) No backwards compatability. I hope to high heavens I heard that last part wrong.

so, does anyone know if it's possible for me to play wing commander with the ME operating system...I have a startup disk for win95 but I don't understand how that will help me since that is not my operating system....help please :)

You can use that Win95 bootdisk to boot into DOS, even if you have another version installed.

Of course he can. WinME is exactly the same as Win95, just that it's a little different.

Unfortunately tou are wrong. You remeber the saying dos is dead? Well, it's now 90 percen dead now. there is no boot to dos mode any more. only a crappy little command prompt that looks like dos. It's dead. Keep your copies of win 95/98.........looks like you'll need em to keep playing WC.........

What? You can still boot from a bootdisk same as ever. What do you think a bootdisk does?

Well, I only ever remember using bootdisks from a different version giving "wrong version" errors. But maybe that's just between DOS and Windows. I've only ever had Win95, I don't know if there are version differences between Win95/98/ME.

[Whoops. I did a TC - posting in reference to the first page. :eek:]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 04-07-2001 at 07:49]

so everyone knows, I am a girl...anyway, I am still trying but it doesn't like the fact that I have 95 boot disk but ME system...

Anaya, I just modifly my win95 boot disk so I can play P1 from it without using the OS. To help you I need to know what your sound card, mouse, and CD-ROM are. The DOS drives for your sound card are the most important thing. I need to know it's Autoexec.bat settings.
Example:
REM ;;The below lines are for the SBLive sound card;;
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J201
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

The CD-ROM and mouse drivers, we can get universal drivers from http://www.bootdisk.com/

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-08-2001 at 02:19]

WinME, DOS and DOS games

Hi Anya,

Here's the deal. WinME has no DOS. You CAN however boot with ANY boot disk from any operating system, even a DOS 5.00 disk, if you had one. A few things to consider now. Since your WinME may be a full version, NO DOS drivers might exist on your system, and as John said, you might have to get these yourself.

I also see in John's message, that he is running a SB Emulation driver (SBEINIT). This however does NOT exist if you install Liveware 3 for WinME (the only drivers that let your SBLive work in WinME).

You have to cheat the system now and get some sort of a boot stiffy going from Win95/98 and copy these files to a folder where you can call them from (they're too big to put on one boot stiffy, unfortunately).

The same goes for your windows-plug-and-play joysticks, mice, etc. I have a USB joystick and USB mouse, and I cannot get the joystick to work in dos, so I'm stuck playing WC 1/2 in DOS with mouse, or using the keyboard (I even dug out my OLD Quickshot analog joystick). WC3/4/5/P1/P2 works in WinME fine.

Hope this helps

Riaan

PS. In the end, I must confess. I formatted the HD, reinstalled Win98 and played them all from there...much easier ;-)

Thats where keeping the old OS's around come in handy. You might just consider buying an old machine that still is running the Dos OS and set up the game on that or transfer some of the files you need for that boot disk.

RFB

Back