windows ME

ananya

Spaceman
Please help me!!! I can not figure out how to install and play privateer on Windows ME!! I have tried so much stuff I am just getting frustrated. I keep getting messages about no EMS driver and there are a couple messages I don't understand...can anyone help me????

Again I say.
Privateer will not run under Windows or Windows Dos mode.
you will need a boot disk with old Dos in it to run Privateer.

Originally posted by Dragon
Again I say.
Privateer will not run under Windows or Windows DOS mode.
you will need a boot disk with old Dos in it to run Privateer.
Again I say. Privateer will run under Windows 95 pure DOS boot. :) I don't know about Win98, 2000 or ME, though.

i do have the win95 start up disk...but I don't exactlly know how to use it...I am really stupid when it comes to this..sorry

Pah, I've never needed to use the 'Startup' disk. It's only meant for when you stuff up the whole system. :)

When it says "Starting Windows 95..." press F8 and you'll get a startup menu. Just select the DOS option, and you're in pure DOS. You may need to fiddle with your config.sys and autoexec.bat to get your CD-ROM DOS driver working again, though. Apparently, it's not a problem if you've got Priv on the hard drive.

WinME doesn't let you create your own boot disks (or allow you to boot directly into DOS, so far as I'm aware), so you're going to have to get one from somewhere else. Once you have one, we can tell you how to modify it to get Privateer working.

Whoops, I forgot you were talking about WinME. The stuff about the Win95 startup disk confused me. :)

I own the start up disk for 95, but I just don't know how to use it to play since my operating system is ME. If anyone is wondering, there is a way to start winME in DOS.

The impression I get from Stinger is that there's no pure DOS in WinME. I think MS is phasing out DOS anyway, so the moral of the story is: hang on to your old operating systems if you still want to play WC. :)

There is Pure DOS-mode in WinME, it`s just a little tricky to get it. I myself don`t know how, since I still use win98, but if you try any tech forum, I`m sure they`ll be happy to help you out with it.
http://www.virtualdr.com/ comes to mind at the moment.

They do indeed seem to be trying to wean the community off DOS. I wouldn't mind this at all, if only they did something else first: provide a 100% functional DOS 6.22 emulator.

Yes, MS is trying to move away from DOS; the next step is to combine the NT and 9x/ME platforms into one operating system that will (hopefully) have the best of both worlds: flexibility and stability.

Originally posted by Stinger
Yes, MS is trying to move away from DOS; the next step is to combine the NT and 9x/ME platforms into one operating system that will (hopefully) have the best of both worlds: flexibility and stability.

I beleive the OS that your talking about is code named whistler. I work in Tech Support for an ISP and I had a customer who was using the beta version of it.

Back