windows ME

O'kay, to find out which SB card you have. Go to the Start Button > Settings > Control Panel > Systems Icon. Choose the Device Manager tab. Scroll down to "Sound, video, and game controller". Expand the tree. You should see your sound card. Also, in the Device Manager look for the "Creative SB16 Emulation". Double click on it and choose the Settings tab. Write down all the info you see there and post it.
You can also get what info thats in the c:\autoexec.bat.
To get in go to the Start Button > Run type "sysedit" and click ok. The first window you'll see is the c:\autoexec.bat. We need that info too.

ok, My video driver says it a:

VIA AC'97 Audio Controller(WDM)

when I try to run sysedit it says that I must have typed the name wrong or that it cannot find it.

Sorry, I don't believe I can help you. I believe you have an integrand audio chip. This means that your Audio is build into your motherboard. These chips usually do not support DOS.

Now your audio chip may have what is call SB-Link - "This new technology which is found in newer core logic chip sets provides the DMA and IRQ signals present in ISA Bus today, but not available on the PCI Bus. SB-LINK serves as a bridge between the motherboard and PCI sound card to deliver full backward compatibility with Sound Blaster 16 for real-mode DOS games and software." You we have to talk to you PC manufactor about this. Without knowing anything about your MB I can not help you. You can also buy a sound card, which does supports DOS. I do not recommend a SBLive card. There are problems with this card and VIA chipsets.

Back