Why Secret Ops my friends?

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Hello,Its my first 2003 Thread ! :p Happy new year to all again!

Well,a question is bothering me....Why did Origin release Secret Ops anyway?

Because they wanted to just...prepare us for the sequel of the Nephilim Saga ?And it was free so other people non-fans,have a look a the game...

Or...cause they knew that this would be the last Wc game.So thats the reason it was totally free.

I think Secret Ops ,was a big (Free :p) GoodBye From Origin to the Wc (or not) fans ,thats why they made it free....

What do you think guys ?

P.S. Happy new year again!There is only 1 year till the Olympics here at Greece,Im expecting everyone to come and meet you :)

I kinda think that it was a "wave goodbye" deal meself. Something to give to the loyal WC fans as a great send off to end such a great series of games. The new GBA Prophecy game is certianly not anything new to WC other than the game is written for the GBA, and is one that exsists already for the PC platform. It surprises me that EA allowed GBA to remake Prophecy when we all know how stingy EA is about the source code of all of its WC games.

But maybe with a little paitence, this will give EA a neat way to re examine the market and maybe just give them reason to create something really new for WC.

And of course, with the UE mod released, that gives us fans the hope that more great creations will be made for WC. I just wish someone could figure out how to add multiplayer to WCP/SO somehow. Or at least, EA should give some hints to coders on how mulitplayer might be intergrated into a mod. Single play games are fun, but their time is long past. One only needs to look at what sells in the game market, and that is games that allow more than one player to participate, be it via the internet or extra controllers on the game consoles. At any rate, mulitplayer games *IS* what sells these days, even EA realizes this, hence their attention on UO over the years.

Originally posted by RFBurns
I just wish someone could figure out how to add multiplayer to WCP/SO somehow.
Prophecy Advance has multiplayer. Raylight is using their own 3D engine for the game.
Or at least, EA should give some hints to coders on how mulitplayer might be intergrated into a mod.
Hints? :) The multiplayer code is practically non-existant. Also, companies operate in the real world, not in fantasy land.

personally i think it was just a way to boost your career kills before going into the next game

I kinda think that it was a "wave goodbye" deal meself. Something to give to the loyal WC fans as a great send off to end such a great series of games.

That doesn't make any sense at all, though... considering they had games under development *after* that point... and why would you release a free game for a series you, for some reason, planned to kill? Part of the advantage of a free game is it gives you a bigger audience. It's a waste if you don't plan to make more games where you can actually make some money off of it.

At the risk of sounding stupid, WC:p has been off the production line for quite some time. Why don't they release the source code for it if only to perpetuate the fan base (albiet limited fan base) as they're not making any money off of it and are only giving out the license to a 3rd party?

They probably didn't even notice they'd given out the license :)

Giving out source code would, realistically, cost them money, in that they have to prepare it for release... and it would cost them sales from any future re-release they might make in the vein of Kilrathi Saga. Despite what people say, Wing Commander isn't dead yet.

Originally posted by TC
what people say, Wing Commander isn't dead yet.

Never said it was. Just curious as to why they wouldn't release it.

Originally posted by LeHah
Never said it was. Just curious as to why they wouldn't release it.

That was part of my explanation, as it would be rather pointless to argue that a future release of Prophecy were possible if Wing Commander were, in fact, dead.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
And King Arthur is like what?:confused:
I believe he's referring to Arthur's reputation as being the "once and future king"; that is, the legends have it that Arthur will return to reign again some day, from his current residence in the Isle of Avalon.

The inference, therefore, is that WC will (officially) "return" someday. We can only hope.

I just wish someone could figure out how to add multiplayer to WCP/SO somehow. Or at least, EA should give some hints to coders on how mulitplayer might be intergrated into a mod. Single play games are fun, but their time is long past. One only needs to look at what sells in the game market, and that is games that allow more than one player to participate, be it via the internet or extra controllers on the game consoles. At any rate, mulitplayer games *IS* what sells these days, even EA realizes this, hence their attention on UO over the years.

I doubt they would ever do that, but dam, what I wouldnt give to fly against some of the regulars right here on the board, find out onhce and for all where we all stand against each other.

Back