Why did you pick your name?

300 pages each? I once wrote a 130 something pages for one story but i wasnt finished. Mabye i will someday. Otherwise my stories, when i finish tend to be around 30 to 40 when i finish them. Writing IS easy, just making myself sit down to do it isnt.

Re: Writing...

I've been writing stories since I was eight or nine. Nothing much then, but my current story, The Mandate, is at about 150 pages and nowhere near finished. It's about a half-god/half-human soon-to-be-knight in the middle of a world at war. I think it's pretty kickass, but I'm biased. I think TheFraix (where the hell did he go, anyway) was kind of overwhelmed by it. ;)

I next plan to write Wildfire, a Wing Commander-esque story of a Covert Ops agent in the 25th Century. After that is Proving Grounds, a story of a 16-year old cadet who has to go up against the aliens that crippled his dad twenty years ago. After that is Apocalypse, a kind of dark story set in the 22nd Century, where a female soldier has to stop the evil emperor of Earth from unleashing a superweapon that will destroy everything. I think about these things way in advance.

And I'm sure you all care very much about this. :rolleyes:

my age of darkness books are fantasy. they have lots of gods and immortals too :D

book1 Dark Quest has a man that has to kill a god in the end.
book2 The Lord Of Darkness has the main char is an incopetent thief that has to kill a wizard that posses the most powerful magic artifact left in the worlds which he plans to use to become a god.
bood3 Heart Of Darknes. the last of the known immortals are gone (killed off) with the exception of one of the darklords (D'sareth) who leads the forces of earth to conquer the eight worlds. this is basically magic vs tech.
book4 (soon) The White One. a force greater than the gods themselves has awakened and is intent on destroying all reality. the God Cutter must reveal his presence and battle this force. but even his unlimeted powers are not enough.

[Edited by $tormin on 05-13-2001 at 00:11]

The quote from the end of Heart of Darkness... witty references tend to lose their appeal when you have to explain them, though.

Sorry, didnt mean to ruin your obscure (at least to me) reference. I thought maybe $tormin had been banned or something.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 05-13-2001 at 01:56]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The quote from the end of Heart of Darkness... witty references tend to lose their appeal when you have to explain them, though.
THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :eek:

Er, care to explain, mpanty? "Heart of darkness", hmm, wasn't that also that jump'n'run game which took so long to get developed? A French game, IIRC...

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-14-2001 at 07:28]

Dear God:~(
Give the kid a break, LOAF... Not everyone read Heart of Darkness, especially us non-English Europeans...
I was lucky (mmmh, "lucky", I don't know... <G> ) to read it because I went to a bilingual school in France...
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Er, care to explain, mpanty? "Heart of darkness", hmm, wasn't that also that jump'n'run game which took so long to get developed? A French game, IIRC...
Eh eh... no no no, Mekt! :)
Heart of Darkness is also a game (arcade-action, if I recall), but Heart of Darkness is a very famous novel by Joseph Conrad, the kind of novel you usually read in high school.
It is the story of an ivory trader, Kurtz, who went in the jungle to bring "civilization" to the primitive tribes, through the commerce of ivory namely.

I don't remember the story exactly, but there's an expedition aboard a steamboat (going up the jungle's river) to find Kurtz, and the character that tells the story (Marlow) is part of this expedition...
In essence, throughout the book, Conrad pictures the slow degradation of "civilized" man as they step deep into the heart of the jungle, degradation that takes places morally, as well as physically.
The character of Kurtz notablyamong all his other shady practices, allows himself to be worshipped as a god...

Obviously, the interpretation of the book goes well beyond that...
I did not particularly like it when I first read it... it was a bit too "dark" for me (no play on words here).

In any case, as LOAF mentioned, his quote comes from the book, and my "THE HORROR! THE HORROR!" is also a quite famous passage from Conrad's novel...

So there, mystery solved for Mekt! :)

Mekt, if you'd like to read the book, a online version can be found at:

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~csicseri/

At the very, very, very least, they should have seen Apocalypse Now. :)
Well... it is true that Apocalypse Now was clearly based on Joseph Conrad's novel... but seeing the movie does not help us understand the quote you mentioned LOAF... and so less for "THE HORROR! THE HORROR!"... :)

My theory is that burgers are delicious.

My quote was *sort of* in Apocalypse Now... and it's just as famous there.

Back