Why did you pick your name?

I like the name Bob. :) McDob...well, first it was MUH, then MUG, then just Mug and, finally, McDob...:) I think I read that name somewhere...

Originally posted by $tormin
Some of you have interesting names and i wanted to know why you chose them.
My callsign "Phoenix" came about ficticiously as part of a short story I outlined way back shortly after WCII came out. Essentially, in the story, the Kilrathi repeatedly claimed to have downed my character, only to find me very much alive in the next engagement. Their knowledge of Terran history led them to christen me "Phoenix", as I appeared to them to keep returning from a fiery death.

I wanted to combine my hero Superman with my name, Don. But i didnt want to be SuperDon so its Supdon. Its 3 cause im currently on my third AOL account with Supdon.

I just plain loved the Raptor in WC1, and decided to use it as my callsign. I've been using it for the last decade on IRC, E-mail, websites and just about every game I play.

Best, Raptor

Back in about 94 when I was a newbie to the net I wanted to use Jonny5 after the robot in that film, unsuprisingly it was taken so I just used 22 (I was born on the 22nd) and 84 (cos it was 1984)

Griffin: in ancient mythology a symbol of strength, intelligence and vigilance - as well as looking damn cool.

griffin.jpg

[Edited by Griffin on 05-07-2001 at 06:35]

Plan9 is a refference to the movie "plan 9 from outerspace" by Ed Wood wich has been awarded the title of worst movie of all times.

In Wing commander I always use the callsign Requiem. A requiem ofcourse being a classical piece of music played at funerals. Very appropriate when killing cats or bugs.

Manjana - I thought of the spanish 'manana' (sorry the accent isn't there, but I still don't know how I get it). What (how many of you know) means in English: tomarrow. But I found the variante with the 'j' in it more original (hasn't everybody:)) and it sounded better in my eyes.
I know, it is funny, but I always coose my nicknames with that criterium (originality). Another nick, under which some people maybe know me is ' Taya ' (Jumpgate-Universe, an E-Mail-account, etc.)...
Compared with some names here is it really not very interesting...it seems more normal.

"mekt-hakkikt" is taken from C.J. Cherryh's "Chanur" series. It is the highest title the Kif (the bad guys in the series) give away, meaning sth like "king". I used it as callsign for my Blair characters. For Casey, I use "G.A.G." which is also an abbreviation of a title, this one taken partly from "Dune".

LeHah is actually a reference to Batman, as it was Azrael's blood enemy. It also means "The Sun" if you split it into "Le Hah". It use to be part of my old phreaking handle back in high school, when my full title was "LeHah the Godeater".

Now-a-days, I usually just use the callsign "Tasker" instead. But LeHah is more unique...

Cadfael

Do you know the TV show
Brother Cadfael?
An extreeeemly coool english medival series.
Other niknames i use are
Nik Scott (guess why!)
Calvin or Stupendos!

a wraith is a mythical creature that sneaks up in the night and steal things. thats were i got my nick from im sure you can guess were the wc comes from

My original net nic was SideWinderNCM, which back in the hey day of MP Quake, alot of players formed game clans. I joined one of those clans, a good one too, but got board with the way the clan operated, the clans title was "QMW"..which stood for "Quakes Most Wanted". So after leaving the group, I decided to put "NCM" after my nic, which stood for "No Clan Man". Well a couple years later, I was working on an RCA FMA 3000 broadcast transmitter, testing the total power output after swapping tubes and tube sockets. I was in a hurry, and forgot to terminate the test output with a load. The thing arched at the output and jumped to my arm, causing a slight RF burn. Shortly after that, I changed my nic to RF Burns, which the RFB are my initials, so I figured that would work. One thing is for shure about all this, RF can definately burn, and you would be suprised how fast you can cook a buritto with a 3000 watt FM transmitter! :D

RFB

Nep Parth is a corruption of my real name. I wanted something a little more sci-fi and different than my real name, but something close enough so that I'd answer to it naturally.

I've been "baptized" by my friends when playing Quake.
I just shoot everything that moves ! And I'm very good doing it. Gimme the Chaingun anytime!

My nick is from the Origin's game Crusader: NoRemorse... I think I resemble this kind of guy when I play...
I usually use the name of John "NoRemorse" Peterson - don't ask me why, I really don't know where I pick this idea...

Fenris was a mythical wolf in Norse Mythology. The wolf is also a symbol of strength and ferocity to the ancient Celts, so I thought it was cool.

Back