• Retros

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Pirates

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Bugs

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Admiral Tolwyn
We weren't officially at war with the Kilrathi, either, but there WERE two sides, and the only way to move between them, was DEFECTION.

Originally posted by Bob McDob

We weren't officially at war with the Kilrathi, either, but there WERE two sides, and the only way to move between them, was DEFECTION.

HuH? What does that have to do with the other messages in this thread? Is Dada posting?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
We weren't officially at war with the Kilrathi, either, but there WERE two sides, and the only way to move between them, was DEFECTION

Although I remeber Tolwyn saying that line in WCIV, i also remember the history sections of Victory Streak saying that we did "officially declare war on the Kilrathi"

We did, multiple times -- Tolwyn most probably referrs to the fact that they never responded to our political declarations...

Oh, they responded, all right. They just did it by blowing up most of the Confed fleet in the opening strike of the war. :D

Best, Raptor

I must say that on the back of Fleet Action, where is says, "true to the tradition of democracies everywhere, the Confederation falls for it" has got to be one of the funniest things I've heard in WC. (Since it's true, and the only person who could have come up with such a thing is Jukaga. Seems like the Kilrathi need their own psych department like Confed had. :) )

Well, Jukaga did a better job of figuring out the Terrans than Confed's Kilrathi pysch division did of figuring out the Kilrathi's motives during the truce. :D

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Skyfire
"true to the tradition of democracies everywhere, the Confederation falls for it"

That statement seems overly broad. I mean the other examples of failed democracies (Ancient Athens and Rome) don't parallel it. Of course I don't know what happened to the 20th century democracies in the space of 700 odd years.

Rome and Athens weren't TRUE democracies - and neither was 16th century England. :) Of course, Fortschen IS apparently an Evil Republican Person. :D

The statement on the back of Fleet Action was merely supposed to get your attention :). And, while I don't know anything about the publishing business, it seems probable that it was the marketing department, not Forstchen, that wrote it.

Originally posted by Frosty
Well, considering that's what he said, I think it's just a teensy bit odd that you're the one offering that "lesson." Read what you're replying to before you reply.
I did... it all boils down to his last sentence, where he states that all his points lead to the conclusion that war is good for the economy. It is this conclusion that I disagree with, and I certainly did not twist anything for the sake of arguing.

The *combat* of war is not what makes money, but the *sales of products* made necessary by the war. So since selling shit to people who are fighting, and selling to your own country because it's fighting are, for all practical purposes, the same thing, you really have no argument here.
You would certainly be correct, if one was to ignore the insigificant fact that when you actually get involved in a war, you tend to lose people, resources, and infrastructure, all of which has an annoying tendency to add up to a lot more than the profit the country made in fuelling the war.

Incorrect. Many battles were fought over the course of the Cold War, but involving puppet nations like Vietnam. Simply because we did not declare outright war on each other does not mean it didn't exist. We didn't declare war on the Taliban, but nobody doubts we are in a war with them. Ultimately the Cold War boiled down to several military confrontations between two nations, the USA and the Soviet Union, and that says "war" to me.
No. Supporting puppet nations does not mean that you get involved in the war itself - the Vietnam War is an exception, not the rule. Most of the conflicts that can be considered collectively as the Cold War did not directly involve US or USSR troops, nor did they take place within US or USSR borders. The Cold War was almost never a military confrontation between the USA and the USSR. If the US economy indeed got a boost out of this (though I have yet to see any data about that), it was on a basis similar to WWI - sell arms, sell training, offer loans, and try to stay out.

Yet, if you were to point out that the US economy did not do badly during the Vietnam War, you'd be quite right. It's a matter of scale. Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan today - none of these were/are really wars as far as the US is concerned, not in the Confed-Kilrathi War sort of way. They were/are tiny little conflicts, where the US' losses, though at first glance quite large, were nothing compared to the US economy's ability to replace them. So even these conflicts are more comparable to WWI than WWII - at least from the US' point of view.
...Look at Vietnam, from the other side, though - the Vietnamese won, didn't they? So how come they still haven't recovered from the damage?

Originally posted by Quarto

Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan today - none of these were/are really wars as far as the US is concerned, not in the Confed-Kilrathi War sort of way. They were/are tiny little conflicts, where the US' losses, though at first glance quite large, were nothing compared to the US economy's ability to replace them. So even these conflicts are more comparable to WWI than WWII - at least from the US' point of view.
...Look at Vietnam, from the other side, though - the Vietnamese won, didn't they? So how come they still haven't recovered from the damage?

First of all, it is very offending to me and to those who served in Vietnam to call it a 'conflict'. The last thing I would say to my neighbor, a sniper during that WAR, is,"Vietnam wasn't really a war." All the stories he's shared with me about all the shit that went on over there doesn't deserve to be summed up as a "tiny little conflict." Also, try telling my grandfather the same about Korea.

Second, some very good family friends of mine, who are Vietnamese, make trips to their homeland at least once every two years. They take many pictures, and from those pics plus the accounts of their trips, Vietnam is doing quite well these days. As a matter of fact, US/Vietnam ties are becoming a lot closer these days, and our recent lifting of business sanctions with them will help them prosper even greater.

Well, the truth is (and I mean no offense to you or veterans of ANY military) that Vietnam WAS, at least compared to WWII, a 'tiny little conflict' - sure, hellish and stupid enough for twenty wars, but a 'conflict' all the same. Obviously, Quarto's looking strategic while you're down in the trenches - with all due respect. :)

Also, what does your grandfather think of MacArthur? :)

What about him? Sure, he was a great leader and tactician, but he went a little overboard by proposing to drop 50 nukes inside China. I can't ask my grandfather about him, he isn't alive.

Douglas MacArthur was a brilliant man. If someone of his calibur was around leading our armed forces, I'd sign up on the spot.

Originally posted by LeHah
Douglas MacArthur was a brilliant man. If someone of his calibur was around leading our armed forces, I'd sign up on the spot.

I know, I wish I had men like him leading me.... :(

Judging by the war in Afghanistan, the US appears to have competent commanders. So I wouldn't worry much Col.Dom.

Originally posted by Quarto
[B
No. Supporting puppet nations does not mean that you get involved in the war itself - the Vietnam War is an exception, not the rule. Most of the conflicts that can be considered collectively as the Cold War did not directly involve US or USSR troops, nor did they take place within US or USSR borders. The Cold War was almost never a military confrontation between the USA and the USSR. If the US economy indeed got a boost out of this (though I have yet to see any data about that), it was on a basis similar to WWI - sell arms, sell training, offer loans, and try to stay out.

during the korean war airplanes from 1 of our carriers got into a fight with ussr airplanes from one of there bases in the ussr.
there where other but in most of the cases they where not recagnised by ether side.:D

Back