Which Video Card is better?

Frosty said:
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made.
:( I thought we were talkin about video cards.

I have also come to believe that Nvidia NOW makes the better cards with more graphics power and better drivers FOR NOW. Check out pc gamer or some magazines like it and 'gamer i think printed a special issue that COMPARES the specs on various cards against so graphic games such as HALO or DOOM3.

Video cards now seem like they're so powerful relative to new games that it probably doesn't matter which you go with too much. You have to look at secondary issues like how solid the drivers are or what sort of special connectors/resolution the cards support, and then compare the prices.

One thing that makes a lot of sense regardless of which chipset you go with is to head over to tweakguides.com and see if there are any optimizations that will make your graphics run smoother or look nice. I myself don't bother with overclocking, but they've got info on that as well. Their ATI guide was very helpful with mimimizing the memory hog aspects of the catalyst drivers on my last card. As far as cards go, I couldn't be happier with my eVGA GeForce 7600GT. I'm running Oblivion with HDR and most of the settings at full. Including the grass. Only thing I don't have cranked up is the shadows but those are still high enough I barely notice. I even tweaked the water to reflect actors, trees and architecture. All this running silky smooth at 1024x768 res. So yeh, I guess I'd reccomend the card for anyone who can't/doesn't want to looking in the $300-$400 geforce 7800/7900/ati equivalent range.

I second Meis' post. I'm pretty happy with my Geforce6600GT, which has excellent drivers. I have a Radeon 9600pro too.

Back