Which Video Card is better?

Actually Radeon and Nvidia are about equal HOWEVER Radeon cards i believe have BETTER GRAPHICS where as Nvidia's runs better and is more compatible with games. Radeon has their own shading technology which is similar to Nvidia's i am sure. Ultimately it comes down to Ram, speed, and price.

I have a Radeon 9600XT with 256mb ram which can run any game maxxed out except for SW Battlegrounds. Though that may be due to my Athalon XP 2200+ 1.8ghz processor.

Over here ATI cards sell for (about)half the price their Nvidia counterparts do, granted, Nvidia's simply do not age so fast, but i'd rather buy a new card each year(or two), and have the latest present features at an acceptable speed, then buy one expensive overpowered monstercard, that i should do with for at least 3 years, and miss out on all the eye-candy it can not display because of it's aging architecture.

to each his own.

ace_starfighter said:
Actually Radeon and Nvidia are about equal HOWEVER Radeon cards i believe have BETTER GRAPHICS where as Nvidia's runs better and is more compatible with games. Radeon has their own shading technology which is similar to Nvidia's i am sure. Ultimately it comes down to Ram, speed, and price.

I have a Radeon 9600XT with 256mb ram which can run any game maxxed out except for SW Battlegrounds. Though that may be due to my Athalon XP 2200+ 1.8ghz processor.

Sorry, but that is just bullshit, because I had an 9600pro berfore the geforce and had to play many games in medium or low. And my processor is faster than yours, so, no, the 9600XT cannot run ANY game maxxed out. It can run 2001's games maxxed out. But not Doom 3, not BF2, not HL2, not Far Cry, not GTA:SA, not SCCT, not Fable.... the list goes on.

Edfilho said:
Sorry, but that is just bullshit, because I had an 9600pro berfore the geforce and had to play many games in medium or low. And my processor is faster than yours, so, no, the 9600XT cannot run ANY game maxxed out. It can run 2001's games maxxed out. But not Doom 3, not BF2, not HL2, not Far Cry, not GTA:SA, not SCCT, not Fable.... the list goes on.
Run 2003's games maxed out, but yeah, it certainly can't play anything that's been released in the last 2.5 years or so at maxed out settings, at least not without a very fast CPU, allowing to perform as fast as possible. And Radeon still do have better image quality than Nvidia cards, but if you're gaming then Nvidia are a much better bet, because the drivers are so much better. My Dad occasionally (and myself too now that I own a Radeon) has to switch to older drivers to play certain games, whereas my aged GEforce3 has always ran just fine whatever the drivers, and have had no need to change them, other than to get increased performace from the latest drivers.

Happy Camper said:
Run 2003's games maxed out, but yeah, it certainly can't play anything that's been released in the last 2.5 years or so at maxed out settings, at least not without a very fast CPU, allowing to perform as fast as possible. And Radeon still do have better image quality than Nvidia cards, but if you're gaming then Nvidia are a much better bet, because the drivers are so much better. My Dad occasionally (and myself too now that I own a Radeon) has to switch to older drivers to play certain games, whereas my aged GEforce3 has always ran just fine whatever the drivers, and have had no need to change them, other than to get increased performace from the latest drivers.

That was kinda my point, the Radeon 9xxx (that's what you were talking about, right?) family simply cannot run the latest games anywhere near maximum.

BTW, I never got the "Radeon has better quality..." thing. I mean, both cards use the same APIs... I never noticed ANY "superior" image quality in my 9600, this has got to be some urban legend or something from the past.

Concerning drivers, the lower FX cards have some driver issues, but they do suck anyway.

I don't hate ATI or anything, I'm just comparing the options presented. There is no doubt that the x850 kicks the 6800 ass. And I really love how the competition makes the vga cards better...

480-watt ATX form factor case
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 processor
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Twin sticks of 1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
Pioneer DVR-108 DUal layer DVD-ROM burner
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW drive
Samsung 3.5-inch 1.44 mb floppy
400 gb 7,200 RPM hard drive
Creative Labs SV Audigy 4 Pro soundcard
Viewsonic 19-inch VP191b monitor
Two 256MB GeForce 7800 GTXs graphics card
Saitek X-52 Flight Control joystick
Logitech Gamepad
Creative Labs Gigaworks 7.1 speakers
Saitek PC gaming keyboard
Logitech MX 518 GG Optical Mouse

That's a Dream System according to PC Gamer.

Power unit definitely seems to be too weak for that one.
Also I'd strap in faster memory sticks.
The Saitek stick is nice, but again far from top gear.

Well, it's not a Simmer's dream system, more like a generic gamer's one.

480watt is fine, if it has PFC and is from a good brand.
And they didn't say what kind of ram that was, could be corsair x-somthing.

ZFGokuSSJ1 said:
480-watt ATX form factor case
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 processor
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Twin sticks of 1 GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
Pioneer DVR-108 DUal layer DVD-ROM burner
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW drive
Samsung 3.5-inch 1.44 mb floppy
400 gb 7,200 RPM hard drive
Creative Labs SV Audigy 4 Pro soundcard
Viewsonic 19-inch VP191b monitor
Two 256MB GeForce 7800 GTXs graphics card
Saitek X-52 Flight Control joystick
Logitech Gamepad
Creative Labs Gigaworks 7.1 speakers
Saitek PC gaming keyboard
Logitech MX 518 GG Optical Mouse

That's a Dream System according to PC Gamer.
Sighs, I could only dream of such a system...

Edfilho said:
480watt is fine, if it has PFC and is from a good brand.
And they didn't say what kind of ram that was, could be corsair x-somthing.

480 watt, PFC from a good brand was the MINIMUM recommendation from N-Vidia for the 6800 Ultra. Now I don't know too much about the 7800 series, but I kinda doubt that it uses less then have the juice to operate...
But its good to know that my 550 Antec that I got my system is still sufficient.

cff said:
480 watt, PFC from a good brand was the MINIMUM recommendation from N-Vidia for the 6800 Ultra. Now I don't know too much about the 7800 series, but I kinda doubt that it uses less then have the juice to operate...
Actually it does, it uses 100watts rather than 110watts, and is suppoesedly 10db quieter. Nvidia have been very busy making something more efficient and faster rather than just upping the clock frequnecies and pipelines.

Happy Camper said:
Actually it does, it uses 100watts rather than 110watts, and is suppoesedly 10db quieter. Nvidia have been very busy making something more efficient and faster rather than just upping the clock frequnecies and pipelines.

Well 2 * 100 is still a slight bit more then 1 * 110. Which is was referring to. So the dual PCI solution needs a good deal more juice then the 6800 Ultra which as I said already needed a GOOD 480 according to Nvidia.

About Nvidia cards and ATI compare cards that come out together 9600pro and XT processor are NOT the exact same. Xt card is the newer of the two cards. But comparing my 9600 hundred to the latest GeForces is just a crime. Compare x000 series cards to the new GeForces. ATI cards do have driver problems. My card it self is not directly from ATI. it is a visiontek board running an ATI processor. Take the manufacturer of the board and the card into consideration as well. Another idea is to RUN tests on these different cards and REALLY find out whose and what card is the best instead of using observations that can vary between people. I had seen a website once that had compared some older ATI/Nvidia cards to each other. Also so computers do have overclocking built into them such as some Alienware computers that will skew these arguements.

well, any 9xxx will get its ass handed back to it by a 6600gt. The 6600gt will crush it, humiliate it, sleep with its wife and slaughter its children. It will reign over its land with a fist of iron. And the 9x series will be completelly removed from the halls of memory.

The 6000 Nvidia series is Nvidia's EQUAL to x000 series AtI cards.
Ati's 9000 series cards are equal more or less to the Nvidia FX cards. So YEAH OF COURSE A 6600gt card would whoop mine. Its newer and faster. I got the 9600XT for price and future usability. IF you want to compare cards then please compare cards that are released comparatively.

While the 9000 series is the same generation as the FX one, Nvidia cards really sucked in that generation.

Back