• Spider Man

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matrix

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by LeHah
I thought this was finished.

Anyway, who's to say the bones are not mechanical as well?

Think again.

in ESB you see that Luke robotic hand does´t have bones,muscles,nerves,etc. just plain metal
That should appear in that lightining *radiography*

Originally posted by cff
Besides the stuff already mentione (arm vs hand) why did he get a robotic one? Luke at least got a flesh looking one. Plus there is all that cloning tech - why not grow an arm?!
Well, the question answers itself - clearly, it is impossible to grow a new arm on a person, because they opted for a robotic arm instead :).

Hey, I know what all the movies have in common! 50-95% of them are purely CGI effects!!! ;)

But seriously...

Before AOTC, Vader lost his arm in 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' (pg. 216 in my copy) but there are two ways out of that one:

1) The description reads "there was less blood than Luke would have expected" (I know this is common with lightsaber injuries, but work with me here!). Therefore, Luke merely severed the mechanical arm.

2) Lucas just crapped on Alan Dean Foster's novel like he's done recently with everyone who worked in 'his' universe besides him (eg. West End Games, Marvel, Daniel Keys Moran...)

Oh, and I voted 'FOTR', since I agree that 'Two Towers' seemed a bit rushed (but I also agree as to why!). The new SW films were ok, but hardly the stuff the first trilogy was made of! I still haven't seen 'Spider Man' yet. As for 'The Matrix'? Give me the anime, manga, and kung-fu films they ripped off instead any day!

Cheers!

None of the SW novels are 'canon' and thus have no effect on the 'actual' SW universe. I read "Splinter" a number of years ago; twas an odd book.

SW is different then WC. On WC, every single contraditory source is "canon". Hence the endless debates on what happened or not. On SW, there's the movies, the novel, and the radio drama. Everything else, aka Expanded Universe, is OK as long as it doesn't contradict the "canon" sources. As a note, some people insist that everything on SW is "canon", so they spend endless hours debating it all... And considering SW has a lot more sources than WC, you can imagine the result.

Originally posted by Ghost
in ESB you see that Luke robotic hand does´t have bones,muscles,nerves,etc. just plain metal
That should appear in that lightining *radiography*

That's a good example because we know for sure that Luke and Vader have exactly the same technology put into their prosthetic extremities.

Originally posted by Delance
SW is different then WC. On WC, every single contraditory source is "canon". Hence the endless debates on what happened or not. On SW, there's the movies, the novel, and the radio drama. Everything else, aka Expanded Universe, is OK as long as it doesn't contradict the "canon" sources. As a note, some people insist that everything on SW is "canon", so they spend endless hours debating it all... And considering SW has a lot more sources than WC, you can imagine the result.

I thought with all new SW stuff, the writers are some what required to make sure that it doesn't contradict any of the existing stuff.

Originally posted by steampunk
I thought with all new SW stuff, the writers are some what required to make sure that it doesn't contradict any of the existing stuff.

Perhaps with the movies. But sometimes it is contradicted by movies made after it. Also, due to the variety of products, it's hard to keep them all on track.

BTW: It's amazing how we are mainly debating SW here. 1/3 of the movies on the poll were SW movies, but their combined voting was of, so far, less then 5%.

Basicly, when a writer is allowed to do a Star Trek/Star Wars/B5 novel, the rule is "Do what you want, but in the end, make sure everything ties together, is a self-contained story and it has no result on the continuity."

Originally posted by LeHah
Basicly, when a writer is allowed to do a Star Trek/Star Wars/B5 novel, the rule is "Do what you want, but in the end, make sure everything ties together, is a self-contained story and it has no result on the continuity."

actually not entirely. SW novels basic outlines all must be approved by Lucasfilm. They agreed to the NJO and all its new actions such as its two major deaths and all the minor ones, as well as to ben.

SW novels are allowed to effect continuity, so long as they maintain continuity with the movies and the other books, meaning so long as they arent contradictory to anything it is ok.

ST novels on the other hand are just said to write them. It matters not whether or not it effects continuity because unlike in SW novels where the books are counted as part of the universe, paramount makes no such claims for ST books, they are considered supplements which have absolutely no impact to the universe and arent considered either offical or canon.

B5 novels are a different story, here the outline for each of the newer ones (the centauri trilogy, the psicorps trillogy, and the technomage trillogy) was writen by JMS and each one of the books is considered Canon, as real as anything seen in any movies or shows.

I agree, LeHah! 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' WAS quite strange!

Originally posted by Napoleon
actually not entirely. SW novels basic outlines all must be approved by Lucasfilm.

Exactly. That's why the authors were always thanking Lucy Wilson and co. for working with them; they had very strict rules about what they could or couldn't do so that things wouldn't contradict with what had happened or what might happen (eg. Timothy Zahn was denied permission to make 'the Sith' an alien race). Thus, as far as what was accepted as 'canon' was concerned, a very organised and plotted universe began to form as more and more books, comics, games, etc. were authorized. I can only imagine how much work these people at LucasFilm had to keep everything in balance! Heck, that's why it bothers me so! I'd always admired the fact that the company actually cared enough to impose such rules!

SW novels are allowed to effect continuity, so long as they maintain continuity with the movies and the other books, meaning so long as they arent contradictory to anything it is ok.

Which was all fine until George decided to pull his finger out and finally make more movies! Still, he seems to have a few problems keeping continuity with his own films, so I guess keeping up with what had been authorised in other mediums was pretty much impossible. Still, after all the cash Star Wars as a license must have made him, it would have been nice if he'd given it a second thought.

However!

I know that there is a fair bit of SW stuff that isn't 'canon' or that was removed from 'canon' after the fact (ie. the Marvel comics are almost entirely disregarded in this manner). I must admit that while I have always believed 'Splinter' to be 'canon', I have never really checked to see if this is true or not. If not, then I guess that's the best explanation there is! But if it is...

Cheers,
Banjo

Now for the explanation of this poll. Those movies follow under some or all of the following categories: Fantasy / Sci-Fi / Action / Blockbuster

Lots of SW fans on theforce.net forums feel that the media in general treats these movies too kindly and are too prone to criticize Star Wars. They blame the media for the lack of praise to the SW movies. So I’d like to know what people here thought. It was very illustrative, indeed. But at least AOTC beat Spider Man.

) Lucas just crapped on Alan Dean Foster's novel like he's done recently with everyone who worked in 'his' universe besides him (eg.

And Lucas has every write to do it. It's his story and he can do whatever he wants to. It's not him crapping on the guys novel. It's Foster crapping on Lucas' creation. Which brings me to only what Christopher Lee could say best. George Lucas created the entire Star Wars universe, Peter Jackson only brought Tolkein's visions to screen. He really didn't do that much in realizing it. Lucas is the one with what I think a more creative mind and is much better at telling a story. I heard somewhere that Jackson's prevous work did terribly, all he's doing is making a screen adaption of LotR, the story is nothing new. So stop dissing Lucas. It's his creation and his story. But if there's any complaint to George it would be, what happened with TPM?

Back