Which fighter type is your favorite?

Which fighter type is your favorite?

• Light Fighter (Ferret, Arrow, Banshee)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Medium Fighter (Scimitar, Hellcat, Vindicator)

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Heavy Fighter (Raptor, Sabre, Thunderbolt)

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Super Fighter (Excalibur, Dragon, Vampire)

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Bomber (Broadsword, Longbow, Devastator)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Multi-Role (Strike Sabre, Avenger, Strike Vampire)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Interceptor (Wasp)

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's nothing against heavy fighters having torpedoes.. The Sabre sometimes carried two torpedoes instead of two dumbfires long before Blair made that request of Sparks. Further, that's not the only time it could be loaded for bear with torps. That's part of what being a Heavy Attack Fighter is.

This poll is screwed up.

the Vind is a Heavy. It carries torps, handles like a Thunderbolt and has a turet. The only reason it's classed as a Meduim is because the Banshee is classed light.

The Banshee is a medium. Look at the shields, and the firepower.

My favorite fighter is still the Excal though.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
There's nothing against heavy fighters having torpedoes.. The Sabre sometimes carried two torpedoes instead of two dumbfires long before Blair made that request of Sparks. Further, that's not the only time it could be loaded for bear with torps. That's part of what being a Heavy Attack Fighter is.

Of course there's nothing against any fighter having torpedoes. Even an epee can have a torpedo. :)

I find the designation "attack" rather curious sometimes. Without torpedoes, the Sabre is 100% ineffective against larger capital ships. Same thing with the Tigershark, a "medium attack fighter". Blair was talking dumbfires when going to the patrol, and changed to torpedoes when he decided to go alone and strike the enemy base. For the purposes of this poll, I put the "fighter" sabre in the Heavy Fighter slot and the "strike" Sabre in the multi-role. The idea here is to know what type of fighter people like the most, not to be overly technical about fighter specifications. There's no such thing as "Superfighter" really.

The Avenger, for example, can be both a "heavy fighter" and a "torpedo bomber" depending on what you do with her. And in a way, the Excalibur was the heaviest bomber ever.

Originally posted by BattleDog
the Vind is a Heavy. It carries torps, handles like a Thunderbolt and has a turet. The only reason it's classed as a Meduim is because the Banshee is classed light. The Banshee is a medium. Look at the shields, and the firepower.

Look at the UBW Ships Database. Look at the CIC Ships Database.

The Vind is a medium, the Banshee is a light. The Banshee is similar to the Arrow, as the Vind is similar to the Hellcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the designation "attack" rather curious sometimes. Without torpedoes, the Sabre is 100% ineffective against larger capital ships.

In what situation does the Sabre *not* have torpedoes? The standard loadout includes two of them...

Same thing with the Tigershark, a "medium attack fighter".

The Tigershark is a "Tigershark class Multi-Role Fighter".

Blair was talking dumbfires when going to the patrol, and changed to torpedoes when he decided to go alone and strike the enemy base.

No... Blair was taking *two* torpedoes when he was going on the patrol. He had Sparks upgrade it to *six* torpedoes.

There's no such thing as "Superfighter" really.

Actually, the Bloodfang is officially designated as a 'Superfighter'.

Originally posted by Delance
I find the designation "attack" rather curious sometimes. Without torpedoes, the Sabre is 100% ineffective against larger capital ships. Same thing with the Tigershark, a "medium attack fighter".

Attack has nothing to do with torpedos. One can go on a strike or attack-style mission against a corvette, which normal ordinance can destroy.

C-ya

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
In what situation does the Sabre *not* have torpedoes? The
standard loadout includes two of them...
No... Blair was taking *two* torpedoes when he was going on the patrol. He had Sparks upgrade it to *six* torpedoes.

Well, my mistake then. I was thinking on his dialogue with Sparks, which was something in the line of "load that ship with torpedoes, Sparks!" The basic idea is that he changed from a fighter/patrol configuration to an attack/bomber one. Hence, the "multi-role" aspect of the Sabre.

Actually, the Bloodfang is officially designated as a 'Superfighter'.

Interesting bit of info! Well, for the Kilrathi, war is psychological, even on ship designations. After all, it is a unique ship. Makes you wonder why the cats didn't build more of it, since it was so cool.

Originally posted by Viper61
Attack has nothing to do with torpedos. One can go on a strike or attack-style mission against a corvette, which normal ordinance can destroy.

Well, under this logic, any fighter is an attack craft.

In what situation does the Sabre *not* have torpedoes? The standard loadout includes two of them...

Hmm... isn't there a loadout with 4 IR missiles, 2 FFs, 2 Dumbfires and 2 Chaff Pods?

This thread does have interesting results. For the number of arrow fans back during WC3, it's amazing light fighters got, so far, relatively so little votes. But heavy fighters leading is no surprise.

For you Dragon lover's

Consider this:

Take the Excaliber, give 2 of the WCP Devestator's Plasme guns, give it 2 (or even 4) Torpedos, give it cap-ship shields, unlimited after burners, and an ass-holed-voiced computer system.

Nice?

Now repeat the process for the Saber for WC2, the Raptor for WC1, the Vampire for WCP...

Next thing you'll hack the games so you'll only have to play the Dragon no matter what is the game or what is the mission.

Did any one ever heard of Finesse?

Re: For you Dragon lover's

Originally posted by HammerHead
Did any one ever heard of Finesse?

Let's check what www.dictionary.com says...

Code:
1. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship. 
2. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering. 
3. A method of leading up to a tenace, as in bridge, in order to prevent an opponent from winning the trick with an intermediate card. 
4. A stratagem in which one appears to decline an advantage.

What about adding a new one?

"TEH GUYZ WHO DON'T PLAY WITH THE EXALIBER ON WC BECAUSE IT HAS 2 PLASME GUNS WHICH ARE NO SKILL DRAGON SUX DARKET R0X0R"

Finesse has nothing to do with superfighters. The Rapier from WC1 is a superfighter and, accordnig to Iceman, the best pilot of the Claw after Blair, that's a ship that takes finesse. Same thing with a Raptor, a heavy fighter, and even a Hornet, a light fighter. But not the Scimitar, which is an ordinary medium fighter.

WC3 arrow baby!!!!!
though i voted heavy fighters, as over all i enjoyed that class more than the individual arrow

Hmm... isn't there a loadout with 4 IR missiles, 2 FFs, 2 Dumbfires and 2 Chaff Pods?

I believe that's one of the 'computer-controlled' loadouts... for enemy Sabres in one of the Special Ops disks (because they can't let Bear have the ability to destroy the Concordia or somesuch...).

I believe 'attack' has a lot more to do with range than it does with loadout. 'Attack' fighters have the range to move away from the carrier and attack things, whereas interceptors or point defense fighters do not.

The Thunderbolt and the Avenger are other Heavy Fighters that can carry Torps. granted the Avenger does act as a Torp Bomber aswel

I believe that's one of the 'computer-controlled' loadouts... for enemy Sabres in one of the Special Ops disks (because they can't let Bear have the ability to destroy the Concordia or somesuch...).
Hmmm... I'm really, really not sure about this, but I vaguely recall that this is the Sabre variant used in the Strakha patrol and the Jazz mission in K'tithrak Mang. But it's more likely that I simply don't recall the torpedoes in those missions because there was no use for them.

Either way, the Sabre is the essential multi-role fighter. We use it as a fighter mostly, but he can do the job as a bomber, even if it's not the ideal fighter for that role ("Two sabres against two Fraltha? That should be interesting").

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Quarto
Hmmm... I'm really, really not sure about this, but I vaguely recall that this is the Sabre variant used in the Strakha patrol and the Jazz mission in K'tithrak Mang. But it's more likely that I simply don't recall the torpedoes in those missions because there was no use for them.

There was - in the first mission in K'tithrak Mang (first with Jazz) You are ordered to destroy Ralatha.

Super-fighters would be my favorite...but if I couldn't have one of those, it'd be a tossup between something like the Wasp, and a light fighter.

Aren’t fighters used for patrol like the Ferret supposed to have a reasonable long range as well?

Back