Where Hath Origin Gone?

Freelancer

Looks like the best hope at the moment for anything like WC is *gasp* Microsoft. According to Computer Gaming World, since Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil, it's promised that the multiplayer play WILL be included in the shipping game. Last I'd heard, pre-buyout, DA was planning to drop multiplayer.

Anyone have any better info than this?

Corsair

I don't know why everyone always goes all scarcastic-y when they mention Microsoft in a positive manner. Microsoft is great, and they make wickitt-cool stuff.

Personally, I'm not a Microsoft-hater, and I've got nothing against using MS products, but it does get rather frustrating when IE crashes for the umpteenth time with no apparent reason. Microsoft products are generally good, but most definitely not great... they need a lot of work. Whenever you buy a new MS operating system (well, if you buy... I mean, without being attached to a new computer, WinME costs something like AU$250, and that's just the update version)... it's like a lottery. You install it, and pray that the bugs won't be intensified by your particular hardware setup. Of course, that's just the operating system. I've never had any complaints about Office, except perhaps the office assistant... drives me nuts when I see people using that stupid thing.
And then of course there's the fact that thus far, dealing with Microsoft appears to carry the same dangers as dealing with the Devil. Certainly, Digital Anvil didn't come out too well (though I don't think that can all be blamed on MS).

RFBurns: What on earth are you talking about? In what way are we hostile? Tell me now, or I'll kill you! :)

I love MS!

No seriously...:) They make great sticks and other hardware, and some of the games they publish are excelent (and not all of them are full of bugs).

Certainly, Digital Anvil didn't come out too well (though I don't think that can all be blamed on MS).
Enyone would be pissed if the guy in charge of a project was constantly delaying it.:) So, I don't think that MS should be blamed for that.

hostility

Oh, I meant virtual hostility! Does that mean I will get a virtual death?! Im just kidding around, break the ice sort of. I have a suggestion for Origin and EA, maybe sub contract a company that specializes in releasing old material, much like the company "Good Times Video",they re- distribute old movies put onto DVD. One example is the 1970 movie "AIRPORT". Great movie! But maybe Origin could do something like that, but I still think a web site for pre ordering these games is best, someone here added an excellent suggestion to that idea with the ability to order the game online, then get routed to a secure site where you can download the game. They would save on packaging, shipping etc. They could even have a page off the download site where you can get the artwork to print up your own labels for a cd or box. They would get enough orders in the long run and be able to make a few bucks. Im shure they probably dont do this to avoid the tech support issue, but they could put up a page with explanation that the games are unsupported and let the customer agree or disagree in the purchase. Kind of like a liscensing agreement. If you agree, you proceed to the download page of the game you want to buy. I dont suggest downloading the entire 3 cd's of WCP or 6 cd's of WCIV, even with a DSL that take some time! Maybe for those have the same agreement page but then instead of downloading, Origin and EA can "burn" the copies straight from their gold masters, a gold master cd is nothing more than a regular cd that the duplicators equipment makes an image of then creates the copies. Since they have KS, WC 1 and 2 Delux and WCIV and WCP SO all on cd format, they can provide these for those that want them. So what if it only turns out to be 100 or so people, the point is, they are considering the customer first. If people were to find out that they would do this, I would bet your afterburner they would get more than 100 or so orders! "Never say never!" [quote, WCIV, Christoper Blair]

Long live WC!

RFBurns

"This is the brain case.....make good use of it"

The issue with future EA/Origin WC games why I originally posted my message - does Origin even exist anymore? Take their web site for example - when was it last updated? And I'm not referring to their copyright date. They still have links to Prophecy Gold which I haven't seen in stores in over a year. Is Ultima Online the only game they are planning to work on? Or do they just have a really lazy webmaster ;-)

RFBurns:
EA is famous for re-releasing bargain priced games on CD (e.g. Top Gun, Need for Speed, etc). You know, the gold label boxes ($15) with no hardcopy manuals. Maybe they feel that the WCP Gold and KSaga releases were enough. I don't know why they wouldn't though, they were re-releasing the DOS version of Railroad Tycoon and Pirates! not too long ago.

lack of Origin/EA

Ahh! They will re release older stuff on a packaged cd but not any of the WC games?!??...? Hmm, something strange about that! They may not get a whopping revamp to bring the WC universe back, but they should at least make the games they did have available. Funny that Origin and EA seem to be the only ones that dont have their own games available. Well, the search for WC continues! (sigh):(

RFBurns

"Things get a little top heavy when there are too many higher ups around" [quote from WCIV, Christopher Blair]

Originally posted by KrisV
There's no one around anymore to give technical support.
But that argument doesn't hold up Kris. I can't believe that EA ONLY re-releases old games for which they have some of the original programming staff available! Go to CompUSA or Best Buy and look at all of the bargain basement games they (EA) or any other company puts out. I can see the problem sure, running a 1997 game on a 2001 computer w/ a 2001 video card, etc is bound to be loaded with problems. Maybe they only re-release 'EASY' games. By that I mean games that are not as complex as WC.

Perhaps posting or publishing them as "Unsupported software" much like alot of editors used for other games such as D3Edit. I remember when ROTT was released, shortly after that they released the Extreme add on which included the TED editor to make maps, which had a big huge readme txt file that had in bold letters at the top "This is being released as is, no tech support is available, please read the included TEDHELP file". Maybe do it that way? I just dont want to give up. Forgive my presistance. I will be quiet now. :(

RFBurns

Neither EA (Origin is just a shadow) will make a new WC game or rerelease the old ones.
A pity...
I dont know what is happening inside EA, Origin future besides doing UO games in unknow even, I belive to EA, what will happen if UO2 fails?
Origin no more?
And the WC license? will it stays in EA forever, even if they dont whant to make more WC games?

Originally posted by Dragon
Neither EA (Origin is just a shadow) will make a new WC game or rerelease the old ones.
A pity...
I dont know what is happening inside EA, Origin future besides doing UO games in unknow even, I belive to EA, what will happen if UO2 fails?
Origin no more?
And the WC license? will it stays in EA forever, even if they dont whant to make more WC games?

Indeed! What would happen to the WC license and copyrights. If they keep it locked up now, whos gonna be around to hand out the keys to the vault if EA goes flop if UO2 fails? Sounds like there isnt alot of "brain case" usage going on up there at EA!

RFBurns

"This is the brain case....make good use of it"
Capt. Eisen, WCIV

Originally posted by Dragon
A pity...
Origin no more?

And we go Back to start dont we.

They are going to hell if they don't land a real gruesome Wing Commander Prophecy II or Wing Commander VI, whatever you want to call it.............

Damn

Back