Where Hath Origin Gone?

Actually, I kinda liked the Freespace series. It's not the same thing as Wing Commander, and sure, you don't get as involved with the characters, but it's still pretty cool. Plus we're running out of space sims anyway...

Dragon, where did you hear Freespace 3 was being worked on? I read a news article from Volition saying that they had dropped the Freespace line and instead are working on Red Faction (which will be incredible, though a first-person shooter). I hope you're right.

It was in a site that I found a link in CIC.that site was only news about space sim games. I was suprised to see that. Freespace is too many keys to remenber and I get frustaded with the dificulty of some of the missions.But since there is no WC to worry about...

Freespace keys

Boy isnt that the truth! So many keys to remember, especially the coms keys! My God, 5 steps to send a command to your wingman whilst the enemy has 5 ships blasting away at you with missles and guns, funny they dont aim at your wingman! And the amount of times you have to maintain gun fire at the Shivan ships is rediculous. They can shoot you dead with 3-4 hits of guns, while you have to maintain fire for 5 minutes, hopefully one of your missles will hit them as they afterburn away from you at incredible speed and manuverability! They could have at least put slide action in the flight physics. But with the lack of space sim games, the Freespace series is better than nothing. Hopefully with FS3, they will put better flight physics in the game. As well as better command functions (reduced steps to send a comms asking for cover). A better afterburner will help also, and please Volition, GET RID OF THAT STUPID AFTERBURNER SHAKING!! :)

Long live WC!

RFBurns

"Look behind you......watch your six!......BOOM!"

Originally posted by Backslash
I read a news article from Volition saying that they had dropped the Freespace line and instead are working on Red Faction (which will be incredible, though a first-person shooter). I hope you're right.
Freespace is as dead as WC, if not more, at this time. Since Volition (or whatever the hell it's called) is now under a different company and Interplay holds the rights to FS, it's unlikelly you'll see a game from that series any time soon. Which is especially bad since FS2 leaves to many qestions at the end (I dare say much more than Prophecy) to be trully enjoyable without an addon or a sequal coming out.

Originally posted by Quarto
Yeah, but resampling an old record to put it on a CD is a relatively simple process compared to the pains a company has to go through to make a re-released game compatible with present computers and present operating systems.

True, but what about just re-releasing for those specific machines or with updates similar to that WC IV win95 patch thing that lets the Dos version of it run in win95, or the way they did the Kilrathi Saga, where the first WC game was fixed up to run in win95, where if you booted up a 486dx2 and try to run the floppy version, it would run too fast unless you used some slow down utility such as moslo. Bet that its as simple as taking the gold cd master they have archived, and simple sell per order basis copies, hell even a burned copy with cheap paper jewel cases would be fine with most I think. They dont have to package pretty and print on expensive materials. I think they could do this and even make a few bucks doing it.

Long live WC!

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 01-20-2001 at 00:49]

Originally posted by RFBurns
True, but what about just re-releasing for those specific machines or with updates similar to that WC IV win95 patch thing that lets the Dos version of it run in win95, or the way they did the Kilrathi Saga, where the first WC game, which even if you booted to dos on a 486dx2, would run too fast unless you used some slow down utility such as moslo. Bet that its as simple as taking the gold cd master they have archived, and simple sell per order basis copies, hell even a burned copy with cheap paper jewel cases would be fine with most I think. They dont have to package pretty and print on expensive materials. I think they could do this and even make a few bucks doing it.
I don't think you understand... it was a pain to convert it to Win95, and already this version doesn't work properly - just look at the WC2 characters talking and you'll see. They'd have to put in quite a bit of work to convert it again... and to what? WinME? Win2000? Or maybe they should wait for this new Windows which supposedly will combine 9x and NT (again ;))?
It's one thing to write a new game, and convert it to other OS' - it's your code, you understand what's going on. But this is not the case with KSaga - nobody at Origin understands it completely... the people who wrote it don't work at Origin any more, and the code itself is fairly confusing since people tended to use a lot more Assembly code back than.

Of course, at the end of the day what it comes down to is that it's just not worth this effort. The market is already flooded with various budget/gold/Ksaga/classic versions of these games. There's no demand for yet another rerelease... all there is is several hundred die-hard fans. Why, Origin would have to charge something like $500 per copy just to make it worth the effort.

LOAF you see I think thats the problem, WC4 cost too much to make, WCP would have cost too much to make had they not cut it so much, and why? because they used real sets! Had WCP had 3d rendered sets they might have been able to produce a game with a decent plot and better acting, all whilst being cheaper and more appealing to EA. I am still suprised WC3 sold better than WC4 but I guess its around that time that everyone started listening to all those stupid computer magazines.

[Edited by Pedro on 01-20-2001 at 06:49]

The thing with using 3d sets is that you really can't move the camera angle too much. The live actors and the 3d backgrounds tend to lose their visual quality as you cannot match the movement of the actors with the movement of the background. Chris Roberts always prefered using real sets because he wanted to be able to move the camera angle and actually create something that is the closest to an interactive movie.
If there is a way to combine both 3d rendered sets and live actors and be able to move the camera as much as hollywood then 3d is the way to go, but until then real sets provide the best visual quality.

Now if they made the next WC all 3D like Freelancer's characters and backgrounds, that would be the easiest way to avoid hollywood costs. I would miss my favorite WC actors though.

If WC went fully 3d I would cry, what a waste. Honestly ask yourself if you had a problem with the video in WC3? I certainly didn't.

I too would prefer live video any day to a full 3D set and characters. Yet, If cost is the limitation that might be a possibility. Still for WC vets like ourselves going from FMV actors to 3d characters would seem a bit like a retrogression.

exactly and since the sets are a huge factor I'd be willing to sacrafice the moving camera position but not the human actors themselves, because humanity is one of the things that made the later games so appealing

Originally posted by RFBurns
...what about just re-releasing for those specific machines or with updates similar to that WC IV win95 patch thing that lets the Dos version of it run in win95...
Which was largely unnecessary, since the so-called "DOS" WCIII and WCIV both ran perfectly fine in Win9x, without the need for reboots or special start-up files.

Hell, I dont Care if its with live actor and set, blue screen, 3d(well, I dont like that but....Grabiel kinght 3 use that and was very well done),computer graphics,manga style....
Just make a WC game, as long that have a good story, those types of missions and we can select the fighter and missiles.

Well dragon perhaps you'll enjoy Unknown Enemy then, its got great missions and a great plot but no FMV, just fiction and in-game cutscenes (like SO except with a good plot and varied missions *grin*).
I honestly would have preffered 3d produced sets in prophecy because they wouldn't have edited so much out, the cutscenes would take place in more than 3 rooms and a bit of a hangar bay and they could have hired someone better than casey.
BTW on a seperate point how many people have noticed that the star of starship troopers is one of the cadets in wciv, the one who offers to take blairs duffel bag? I did notice a while ago but for some reason I never asked.

re-release

Yes, it would be a pain to attempt to re write the code on those games. But let me ask a question for everyone here. If you plan to restore a 1956 Chevy, and tho it would be kind of expensive, would you want the original engine in it or replace it with some other engine? And you can get the parts to rebuild that original engine. It would make the car worth more plus have more of the originality of the 56 Chevy. Point is, if you want somethting such as old software, you would have around a machine that would run it. I see web sites with older pc's refurbished and good to go. Even tho the die hard fans would be the ones most likely to buy the old games, they should at least make them available for them. Bet your afterburners I have several machines to run those old games. You know, I wouldnt have a problem paying $500 for the game. The parts to rebuild that original 56 Chevy engine would be expensive, but someone who wants it to be original will pay the money. If people will spend a million bucks on some auction site for a pair of old stinky civil war boots, then whats the problem? :)

Long live WC!

RFBurns

Originally posted by Dragon

Hell, I dont Care if its with live actor and set, blue screen, 3d(well, I dont like that but....Grabiel kinght 3 use that and was very well done),computer graphics,manga style....
Just make a WC game, as long that have a good story, those types of missions and we can select the fighter and missiles.

That is the real draw to the series - the storyline. Sure the actors, expensive sets and the like added to the game(s) enjoyment but at their heart it was still the story. I honestly enjoyed the play equally in all the KSaga games (cartoon characters v. live action). Roberts took the next logical step in the game's evolution but as was apparently the case, the market couldn't (or wouldn't) bear the massive cost. Maybe in 5-10 years...

Anything is better than nothing. Maybe at some point they will freeware the stuff. I just find it amusing that you can still find Wolf 3D easily and cant find any WC stuff as easy. Maybe they could pak them all into a new release that has everything from WC1 thru WCP SO. Much like the Descent Difinitive Collection or the Quake 1 and 2 game packages. Someday they will see the light, and its understandable that most here already have these games and are going crazy over those who keep asking where to find em. For those that do have em all, please be patient.:) There may be newbees today, but they will be super aces tomorrow! Will the welcome mat still be out then? So, if anyone has the KSaga, Ill be happy to pay 80 bucks plus S/H!! Oh throw in WCP SO and add another 80 bucks! :D Oh and general comment and question, why is it so hostile around here? IMO, if the WC CIC wanted only certian members or are considerate to only those few, then why have this open to the public? Oh well, Im too new here to be inquering about all this. I will watch my P's and Q's.

Quote from WCIV, "Capt. Paulsen,...to many cooks in the kitchen".. [W. Chang]

RFBurns

Back