What's the most powerful Confed cap ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by TC
It all obviously depends on the size of the planet and how they're destroying it. Maybe they've invented some way doesn't use that much energy and destroys atomic bonds or somesuch...

TC

That would take *MORE* energy than just plowing the f****r with enough destructive force to blow it to smithereens. 2E32 watts is the dead minimum power needed to destroy an Earth-sized planet.

Additionally, because the physical characteristics of Kilrah (except for its tectonic activity) are similar to those of Earth (a necessity, since Kilrathi find the same planets desirable that humans do), a theoretical "Behemoth" with a significantly lower energy output than the GPE threshhold of an Earth-type planet wouldn't be a planet-killing threat.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Tech/Beam/DeathStar.html <= A technical discussion of the Death Star superlaser; also applicable to other sci-fi beam-based planet killing weapons.

[Edited by Iceberg on 02-12-2001 at 20:34]

That's how much mechanical energy you need. It's theoretically possible to start a nuclear chain reaction from a distance, that could create enough destructive power.

The point is, we don't know exactly how it works.

TC

Originally posted by TC
That's how much mechanical energy you need. It's theoretically possible to start a nuclear chain reaction from a distance, that could create enough destructive power.

The point is, we don't know exactly how it works.

TC

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Tech/Beam/DeathStar.html

Read the page. It explains in quite clear terms that any alternate method of destroying a planet would take much MORE energy than just blowing it to hell with a staggering amount of raw firepower.

In short, there is simply NO WAY that the Behemoth's true firepower can be less than 2E32 watts.

I personally don't see anywhere on that page that even mentions disrupting the binding force in atoms. It's possible that the weapon creates some sort of nuclear reaction in the core of the planet. In a situation like that input energy (from the beam) can be less than the output energy (gained from fusion of fission).

TC

I agree with TC on this, what is on a planet core is unknow (several teories on that but not any solid evidence), so energy beam that manage to make its way to a planet core could very well start a nuclear chain reaction of a magnitude that could desitregade any planetary object, even stars.

Wow, I didn't say anything about what's in planet's cores being unknown... but sure, why not?

TC

Originally posted by TC
I personally don't see anywhere on that page that even mentions disrupting the binding force in atoms. It's possible that the weapon creates some sort of nuclear reaction in the core of the planet. In a situation like that input energy (from the beam) can be less than the output energy (gained from fusion of fission).

TC

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Myths/Myths_SW.html <= This is the correct page.

Check out the section marked, "The Death Star might have employed a "trick" to destroy Alderaan, rather than supplying all of the energy itself."

Especially check out the sub-page debunking the "fission/fusion" myth. Mr. Wong used to be a nuclear engineer, so he knows EXACTLY what he's talking about here.

Many teories of the center of a planet.
Plasma, nothing (I remember that one, the center of a planet in empty space), magna heated to a fussion (or fision), and many other that I dont remenber right now.

Originally posted by Dragon
I agree with TC on this, what is on a planet core is unknow (several teories on that but not any solid evidence), so energy beam that manage to make its way to a planet core could very well start a nuclear chain reaction of a magnitude that could desitregade any planetary object, even stars.

Well, the core of the Earth is a solid lump of iron at about 10,000 degrees C (kept solid by the pressure of six sextillion tons of rock pushing down on it). Any planet that humans can live on without major terraforming would presumably be of similar composition and size to the Earth.

The Kilrathi, as far as we can determine, live on the same kind of planets that we do.

I read through it. It is based entirely on our current capabilities. If one raises a neutron to an appropriate velocity one can initiate fission in less rare elements than the heavy metals.

TC

Originally posted by Iceberg

Well, the core of the Earth is a solid lump of iron at about 10,000 degrees C (kept solid by the pressure of six sextillion tons of rock pushing down on it). Any planet that humans can live on without major terraforming would presumably be of similar composition and size to the Earth.

The Kilrathi, as far as we can determine, live on the same kind of planets that we do.

Whow, Have you been there?
NO, neither you or anyone have been there, so whats in there is unknow, like if there are any planets on alfa century.

Originally posted by Iceberg

Whow, Have you been there?
NO, neither you or anyone have been there, so whats in there is unknow, like if there are any planets on alfa century.

Take a college geology course. Even though nobody has ever physically been to the core of the Earth or even past the crust, we DO know what the interior composition of the Earth is, by radiometric and seismographic analysis. The core layers of the Earth are molten (outer core) and solid (inner core) iron.

Originally posted by TC
I read through it. It is based entirely on our current capabilities. If one raises a neutron to an appropriate velocity one can initiate fission in less rare elements than the heavy metals.

TC

Not without FAR more energy put in than you would eventually get out. Fission in sub-lead elements is a net-energy-loss reaction, just as fusion is a net-energy-loss reaction in supra-lead elements.

Really, guys. There's no way to blast an Earth-type planet apart with less than 2.4E32 joules...

With 600 years of development it is quite possible that man has found a way to use less energy to start a nuclear reaction. It's even possible that new forms of nuclear reactions were discovered. This could include a full matter -> energy conversion. It is also possible that it isn't a nuclear reaction at all and is instead something that we do not currently understand.

TC

Originally posted by TC
With 600 years of development it is quite possible that man has found a way to use less energy to start a nuclear reaction. It's even possible that new forms of nuclear reactions were discovered. This could include a full matter -> energy conversion. It is also possible that it isn't a nuclear reaction at all and is instead something that we do not currently understand.

TC

While I won't discount this possibility, speculation on abilities that we haven't seen nor heard allusions to in the canon are pointless.

No they aren't, since we are given an energy output that at first looks (I don't feel like doing any extra research on this point :) ) seems to be impossible by todays technology. Therefore it must be a technology we don't currently have access to.

TC

Some people like "real science Facts" too much IMHO.
Perhaps they dont use any of the "unreal" weapons in the game.....
Next comes the T-Bomb science angle......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back