Whatever Happened to...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh Wow

Originally posted by Col.Dom
The proper term is actually "jihad."

Jihad is a muslim term that's become overused since the American media grabbed hold of it.

We Christians call "Holy Wars" "Crusades", and we did our fair share of stupidly murdering countless millions in the span of several hundred years.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh Wow

Yes but look at the times. That's when barbarism was accepted and before human rights laws were passed. During the times of the Crusades, there were no written rules stating that it wasn't all right to impose one's beliefs in a violent manner. Back then, people were very barbaric and mean and fell into the Hobbesian belief of man's cruel nature.

Does that make then right? Absolutely not but now that we do have the written laws, there should be no excuse to be backward and revert back to those terrible, wrong ways.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh Wow

Yes but look at the times. That's when barbarism was accepted and before human rights laws were passed. During the times of the Crusades, there were no written rules stating that it wasn't all right to impose one's beliefs in a violent manner.

Actually, and stupidly, they ignored the fact that the Bible clearly states not to kill. Heck, God said "Don't do these 10 things and you'll be ok" and they ran out and did them like kids on candy. Idiots.

Back then, people were very barbaric and mean and fell into the Hobbesian belief of man's cruel nature.

Man is cruel. To think otherwise is a self-inflicted torture worse than eating straight razors or watching re-runs of "What's Happenin'".

Does that make then right? Absolutely not but now that we do have the written laws, there should be no excuse to be backward and revert back to those terrible, wrong ways.

"Terrible" and "wrong ways" are relative to one's outlook. Just because I despise everything Christianity, and especially Southern Baptists, stand for doesn't mean what I think is an absolute.

True

Yes, I believe that man's nature is very cruel myself. Unfortunately, Thomas Hobbes was the first one to actually get credit for saying it :)

And as for one's outlook... do you think that because they see murdering innocents in the name of their god is acceptable just because it is their outlook? That's where it goes to the John Locke belief that there should be a set of rules that everyone should follow (eg human rights laws). Where everyone gives up some of their freedom (eg their outlook that killing all in the name of their personal god is okay) in order to live in a civilized society.

Re: True

Where everyone gives up some of their freedom (eg their outlook that killing all in the name of their personal god is okay) in order to live in a civilized society.

The funny thing about that statement is that I don't give up any personal God, since God can shove it for all I care. Do with me what he will, I don't care, he's a higher power, my outlook shouldn't affect what he does.

Of course not but for people who do care (like the Muslims who believe salvation is suicide bombing school houses)what their gods do... there is a problem. The Christians in the Crusades felt that by killing in God's name, they could purify the Earth for God and thus receive salvation for it.

Outlooks like theirs is bad for a civilized society.

Stop using absolutes when you speak. There are exceptions to everything.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Huh Wow

(...)

Why should they act according to laws they didn't want or make? Because it matches our definition of "civilized" and "good" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back