Whatever Happened to...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh

So that's where he went. I thought he was in Hell with Flynn Taggart, fighting the evil minions of...

HEY! Neat cross-over idea. "Fly," Taggart could be a distant relative of James Taggart aka Paladin and...

*sigh* time to shut my mouth, now...!

But, seriously, did he die??

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Through promotion? Eisen was communications offcier on the Victory on her maiden voyage and her captain in WC3.

I mean, in real life, I don't think a communication officer can become ship commander... I know that former navy pilots have became carrier commander, but the promotion communication to starship commander seems strange and not really realistic (I think that in the navy academy, you must choose a speciality)... well, it may happen, but because of the war...

It's a Possibility, Actually

Although it is a very rare occasion, a communications officer can become a ship captain. Technically, anyone with a field grade (O-4 to O-6) and the applicable military leadership training can gain flag positions. In the Air Force, I've seen maintenance officers and security police officers become wing kings (Air Force slang for wing commanders)!

So, it's not unfeasable that a lowly communications officer could become a captain of a ship. It's just very rare, since the people in the general ranks look more at the whiz-bang guys (pilots, intel, spec ops) for flag positions. Kinda' unfair but it gives the military the image they want people to see.

Originally posted by NoRemorse
I mean, in real life, I don't think a communication officer can become ship commander... I know that former navy pilots have became carrier commander, but the promotion communication to starship commander seems strange and not really realistic (I think that in the navy academy, you must choose a speciality)... well, it may happen, but because of the war...

Who cares about the real life? ;) In the WC universe anybody can get as high as wants, as long as he tries hard and gives his best and is pure of heart and..., well you get the point. :)

Yeah I think it's pretty well established that things in WC are not like they are in "Real Navy" in all honesty speaking in WC universe terms there really is no reason a communications officer could'nt be a Captain after all who knows what they did between communications officer and becoming Captain.

Originally posted by NoRemorse
but the promotion communication to starship commander seems strange and not really realistic
So do superfast starfighters that carry 80 missiles on them, but I don't hear you complaining about that.

Besides, I doubt you know the circumstances of his promotion. There was a bigass war going on, I'll bet a few unorthodox promotions occured during the course of it.

Originally posted by Thymerlord
after all who knows what they did between communications officer and becoming Captain.

Especially when you consider the length of Eisen's career. By the time of WC3 he is quite old, like the Victory.

If a bunch of the bridge crew were hurt or killed during an attack, Eisen probably stepped up to fill in. That kind of initative, especialy in during a war is often rewarded. Bear's career is another example of how far and fast you can go in Confed.

Careerz

Haha! Kinda' parallel to Johnny Rico's career in Starship Troopers- E-1 Private to Lieutenant in the span of a couple o' weeks :D

In reality, though, during a war, the military branches of the Army, Navy & Marine Corps (don't know about the Coast Guard) promote quickly. They go by "slots." If they lose 20 Captains, they must promote the next-in-liners to fill the slot, thus moving everyone up in a very crazy fashion.

I know a guy who served in the Army during Korea. He went from private to corporal in one day!!

Unfortunately, due to the Air Force's "professional force," concept and image, we get no such promotions :(

Re: huh wow

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Imagine a 30+ year war?

Wanna see a war going on for hundreds of years? Go the the Middle East, it's non-stop "holy wars".

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

More than two years.

WC1 starts on 2654.110 and the Scret Missions start on 2654.326 (if I copied these dates correctly). You are Major at the end of WC1 and can be promoted to Lt.Col. in SM after only a couple of missions.

But as Dralthi pointed out, even in two years it's not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back