Whatever happened to Radio Rollins?

Presumably it was Jazz who arranged for the attack on the Tiger's Claw. According to his confession near the end of WC2, his motive for revenge was that the Tiger's Claw had failed to save the people at Goddard Colony in Secret Missions 1. He said that he had kept Blair's flight recorder disk from that day as a memento. As for what pilots survived the destruction of the Claw, Jazz says that now that Spirit is dead, only Blair, Angel, and Maniac are left.

Originally posted by junior

This seems to directly clash with the information in the WC1/ WC2 strategy guide.

Oh really...

According to that guide, it was a surgical strike against the Tiger's Claw. The evidence would seem to indicate that, as well. [/B}

The WCP Guide neither denies nor confirms that statement. No contradiction exists.

If the Tiger's Claw pilots had all been involved in dogfights at the time, its doubtful that as much of a fuss would have been made over Blair's missing flight recorder data. The fact that none of the pilots was attacked would indicate that someone let the Kilrathi through, and Blair's missing flight recorder would cast the suspicion on him. If numerous pilots had died in dogfights while the Tiger's Claw was being attacked, then the fighters that killed the Tiger's Claw could have conceivably come from anywhere.

But none of the other pilots, except for a few random cases, were in dogfights at the time. They were on PATROL. Pluss, we already know who did it (Jazz).

This same guide also doesn't put Maniac into the nuthouse until WC2, although since he makes an appearence in SO2 (which isn't in the guide), the timing in the nuthouse seems a little odd...

This is not a contradiction either. the info on Maniac in the WC1/WC2 guide is what was publicly available at the time. Maniac could be in the nutthouse durring hte attack, even though no else knew it at the time.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Presumably it was Jazz who arranged for the attack on the Tiger's Claw. According to his confession near the end of WC2, his motive for revenge was that the Tiger's Claw had failed to save the people at Goddard Colony in Secret Missions 1. He said that he had kept Blair's flight recorder disk from that day as a memento. As for what pilots survived the destruction of the Claw, Jazz says that now that Spirit is dead, only Blair, Angel, and Maniac are left.
YES!!! I knew I read somewhere that there were only four survivors from Tiger's Claw!
BTW, the Guide also states that he had a nervous breakdown after he accidentaly destroyed Drayman with his HS. That happens in WC1. After that, in SM 1 Maniac starts acting strangely, having those dreams about dreadnought, trying to slip into his fighter in his pijamas and getting the bright idea of loading his missiles with exposives that would go off during high-G turns...
If this isn't a nuthouse case, I don't know what is.

Originally posted by Meson

Oh really...

Why the sarcasm at this point? Care to elaborate?

The WCP Guide neither denies nor confirms that statement. No contradiction exists.

The 'statement' in this case being that the strike against the Tiger's Claw was a surgical strike.
Had only a handful of pilots (which is reportedly what the WCP strat guide claims) survived the attack, then it would NOT have been a surgical strike against the Tiger's Claw. Instead, it would have been a full-out attack, since the fighters based off of the Tiger's Claw were all spread out at the time the 'Claw went down.

But none of the other pilots, except for a few random cases, were in dogfights at the time. They were on PATROL. Pluss, we already know who did it (Jazz).

I said that all of the pilots were on patrol, and I used that as evidence that the "only a handful of pilots survived" comment was probably incorrect. I'm sensing a lack of communication here...
And as for Jazz, all he did was provide the information on the strike and steal Blair's flight recorder disc. The stealth fighters slipped through Blair's patrol zone (he was flying solo), and launched their attack from that direction. Following the attack, Confed was apparently able to figure out the angle of approach they used to reach the Tiger's Claw. That, combined with the fact that Blair hadn't reported any contacts, and his flight recorder disc was missing (Jazz had stolen it, after all), cast suspicion on Blair.

This is not a contradiction either. the info on Maniac in the WC1/WC2 guide is what was publicly available at the time. Maniac could be in the nutthouse durring hte attack, even though no else knew it at the time.

The strategy guide doesn't specifically state where Maniac was during the Tiger's Claw's final mission, but the evidence implies that he wasn't in the nuthouse yet. His first sign of real delusions is when the narrator puts in a visit to Maniac's current assignment (iirc, it's immediately after the destruction of the K'thrak Mang, although I could be mistaken).

Originally posted by Skybolt

YES!!! I knew I read somewhere that there were only four survivors from Tiger's Claw!

Actually, that proves that there were only four survivors at the start of Wing Commander 2. And strangely enough, it completely ignores Paladin, who was a pilot on the Tiger's Claw at the time of the Goddard attack, and still very much alive when Jazz made that statement (and, along with Maniac, one of the two surviving pilots of the Tiger's Claw at the end of WCP).

i heard that Maniac faked being crazy when he went to sick bay before the Claw went down
I only regret that i have but one life to give confed,,,Loozer>>>Hells Kitchen,Vega Sector

Maniac was, indeed, quite crazy -- if you'll recall, Operation Thor's Hammer took its toll on his psyche. He survived the destruction of the Tiger's Claw because he was in the psych ward on the Austin at the time.

We know for certain that Iceman, Angel, Spirit, Blair (and a few others who are unnamed) specifically survived their patrols that day... by the time of Jazz' comments, of course, Iceman has since died at B'Shriss. (Of course, Carl LaFong, if he's a different person, also survived:)).

Paladin survived because he had "retired" and gone off on another secret assignment.

Hunter survived because he was still on furlough (in 'Freedom Flight').

Doomsday and Jazz (well, duh) survived because they'd been assigned back to the Austin.

Why Hawk survived is a bit of a mystery... he *was* back from OCS, but he may have been assigned to the *Austin* rather than the Tiger's Claw -- or he may simply have been on patrol and survived.

Various background characters survived for odd reasons, too... for instance, a pilot named Vanderman in Fleet Action is a Tiger's Claw veteran -- he'd been shot down and presumed dead, but in actuality survived on a Kilrathi held planet until later being found.

We don't know how Shotglass survived -- presumably he simply wasn't on the 'Claw. (Given that he was the same age as Paladin, it might be reasonable to assume he retired around the same time...).

Halcyon *was* to be promoted and sent back to HQ -- but he hadn't yet been. He was killed.

Whatever happened to Minx in SO2 was she killed on Ayers Rock when it was destroyed. (to all that do not remember Minx was a pilot was part of Maniac's Screamin Eagles crew
I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,,,Loozer>>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Originally posted by Loozer
Whatever happened to Minx in SO2 was she killed on Ayers Rock when it was destroyed. (to all that do not remember Minx was a pilot was part of Maniac's Screamin Eagles crew

Captain Grimaldi wasn't a pilot on the Tiger's Claw, so had nothing to do with any of this <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Various background characters survived for odd reasons, too... for instance, a pilot named Vanderman in Fleet Action is a Tiger's Claw veteran -- he'd been shot down and presumed dead, but in actuality survived on a Kilrathi held planet until later being found.

Hmm... was he Eldon Vandermann??? ;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Why Hawk survived is a bit of a mystery... he *was* back from OCS, but he may have been assigned to the *Austin* rather than the Tiger's Claw -- or he may simply have been on patrol and survived.

Was Hawk a part of the Tiger's Claw? I know they don't mention him being on the 'Claw in any of the games, but I don't recall any of the information on him in the strat guides I skimmed through.

And hadn't Angel been assigned to a different carrier and given her own wing by that time? My memory's a little shaky on that point.

Hi,

If I remember correctly, Angel had a new job as CAG on another carrier (I think it is mentioned in Freedom Flight)

I think Hawk knew Iceman at some point, but I don't think he was on the claw at any point unless it was before Blair. (In WC4 Blair mentions that he has heard of Hawk and Panther as being involved in action on the Astoria? system. He doesn't seem to recognize either of them before they introduce themselves)

Cheers

Originally posted by panther
Hi,

If I remember correctly, Angel had a new job as CAG on another carrier (I think it is mentioned in Freedom Flight)

I think Hawk knew Iceman at some point, but I don't think he was on the claw at any point unless it was before Blair. (In WC4 Blair mentions that he has heard of Hawk and Panther as being involved in action on the Astoria? system. He doesn't seem to recognize either of them before they introduce themselves)

We know that Hawk and Iceman served together early on because Iceman straightened Hawk out after one disasterous mission, and stuck with Hawk until the latter got his nerves calmed back down.
We know that Blair's unit was the one that pulled what was left of Iceman out of the escape pod. While I don't think Hawk specifically comes out and says, "I was serving with Blair at the time," his phrasing implies that Blair was the person in charge of Hawk's unit at the time.
So the fairly strong implication is that while Hawk may not have known Blair very well prior to the Intrepid, they did serve together between WC1 and WC2.

Angel was promoted to Wing Commander - of the Austin, IIRC.

Originally posted by Loozer
...Minx was a pilot was part of Maniac's Screamin Eagles crew
Try Wild Eagles squadron. ;)

Squadron Commander, not Wing Commander... (and that's a re-assignment, not a promotion -- her promotion was to Major <G>)

According to the Prophecy Guide, Hawk was originally a tech on the 'Claw who went to OCS... when he came back is a mystery, though -- he may have served off the Tiger's Claw and then the Austin or just the Austin.

I knew you'd show up to correct me in some way. :) Nevertheless, I hoped to save you the trouble of having to explain that a CAG is a naval rank, and only relevant to ships with more than one wing, blah, blah, blah...

CAG isn't a rank, it's a position... We also don't know if it's only a position for officers of the Confederation Navy. In fact, it's probably open to both services, just as Wing Commander is.

TC

Minx is dead. Jazz left her to suffocate in the vacuum of space.

The only person I've ever seen who brought forth their power as a CAG was Drake -- trying to keep Blair from flying.

Originally posted by TC
CAG isn't a rank, it's a position... We also don't know if it's only a position for officers of the Confederation Navy. In fact, it's probably open to both services, just as Wing Commander is.

TC

Angel claims she's CAG of the Concordia -- indicating that it's not a purely naval position.

Back