What would you fight for?

Ghost, get your facts straight.

In the US, companies are free to sell information about who you phone, when and for how long.

Companies are free to break into your computer and delete anything they want.

Companies are free to buy whatever legislation they want.

Companies are free to throw you in jail for making a backup copy of something you bought.

Companies are free to decide when, where and on what devices you can play the latest music releases.

Clearly, Americans enjoy great freedoms. So unless you can produce evidence to the contrary, pipe down.

Wow... Poland sure was a rather random example...

On review, I actually like their section on personal freedoms in their constitution...

http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/law/pl00000_.html#S002_

and I also like the fact that they have a special commissioner for civil rights protection...

http://www.omineurope.info/uk/verfassung_poland_uk.htm

Also, I will point out that being better than one example (which I am not convinced of but haven't yet looked into Poland enough to be sure of either way) does not prove that something is 'best'...

Yeah, Poland wouldn't be up for EU membership if they didn't have their civil rights and personal freedoms in order.

Originally posted by Ijuin

May I ask what function a submachine gun that fires 50 bullets in a 15 second period has other than as an antipersonnel weapon intended to either intimidate, or to fire upon large groups of people?

Killing today's superanimals!

Skinner: Poland! Tell us about your nation's achievements!
Milhouse: Well, I heard they sent a rocket to the sun once.. at night. And there was that submarine, with the screen doors..
Skinner: No, no, no, no, young man, you need to do some serious boning!

Originally posted by Ijuin

May I ask what function a submachine gun that fires 50 bullets in a 15 second period has other than as an antipersonnel weapon intended to either intimidate, or to fire upon large groups of people? What useful function does it possess that cannot be served by a 12 shot semiautomatic pistol? If your desire is to intimidate people, then this not only makes you a bully, but it leads to an arms race--whoever has the "biggest" gun is the one on top. Unless you seriously expect to be facing off against several opponents who are also carrying submachine guns, I do not see a purpose for having one.

Handguns: YES

Machineguns: NO

Theyre fun to shoot. I dont need any other reason.

and if youre intimidated by someone who means you no harm, you have big problems and should probably seek therapy.

Why do you NEED a Corvette?

A crappy little Yugo will get you from point A to point B also.

The Poland thing was because thats where Quarto says he is. It would have been a better example a few years ago when their neck was still under the Soviet boot.

And we all know how everyone in the world is falling all over themselves to go live in freedom in Poland.

I also don't hear about people jumping the (few) borders/sneaking on boats to get into England, either-are you saying that they're not free?

Originally posted by Skyfire
I also don't hear about people jumping the (few) borders/sneaking on boats to get into England, either-are you saying that they're not free?

You obviously haven't been hearing about the whole immigration thing in Britain...

I haven't been paying any attention to this thread, but... I thought it was Australia which is getting whipped for the treatment of illegal immigrants / asylum seekers. [And that's not a good thing.]

Originally posted by TC

You obviously haven't been hearing about the whole immigration thing in Britain...

Well, of course, I'll admit that immigration in Britain isn't my top priority in the knowledge department. :)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Knitewing

I was in the navy during the Gulf WAr and Somalia. Trust me there is nothing nice about fighting. Military life isn't so bad once you get used to it. It's the fighting I didn't like. I'ld do it again if it were necessary to defend my family, my country or my planet but there's nothing to enjoy about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Ripper

When I was in Bahrain during the Gulf War, we didnt do much "fighting". And unless they were a Corpsman with the Marines or aircrew in offensive aircraft, the Navy didnt do a whole lot more than launch cruise missiles.

And you oviously had the whole picture?

I was part of the amphib forces. We took the mariens in and secured the beachheads. I was also there in 1988 when the Vinsinse shot down the Iranian "airbus". They were coming to aid our convoy that was being attacked by Boghammers when they picked up the MiG. In Somalia we were the ones pulling the troops out.

I'd keep two pictures in my cockpit. One, of my home, Terra (I'm dead serious about this), and two, of myself. This represents a lot of things for me, not just that I am fighing for myself and for Terra, but also the way of thinking that got me through life. The duality of thinking, that everything is nothing, and nothing is everything, that you are the world and the world is you, that I hold close to me.

My beautiful blue home, a nova among white dwarves. The only satisfaction that I'd have in my death is if I were fighting for Terra. Not for humanity, but for Terra, throughout all of her time, from her conception, to her birth, to her maturing, to her creating Life.

"The dead know only one thing, that it is better to be alive."

Knitewing,

The Iranian Airbus was coming to Kamikaze your convoy. I could figure that out 10,000 miles away. That was a good shot, taking it out.

I guess I need to be more clear. Im not DOGGING sailors, but sitting on a ship that's NOT getting shot at isnt "fighting" any more than us laying around Bahrain International Airport waiting for the next "scud break" is fighting. The guys on the ground, the Army's sweep, Task Force Ripper securing Kuwait in about 24 hours, the tank battle at Kuwait International Airport, the fighter jocks kicking butt, THATS fighting.

Originally posted by Skyfire

Yes I am. They are SUBJECTS. That most definitely is not free.

Um...being a constitutional monarchy is just a different route off of the republic/democracy route. Just because you seem to have some infatuation with thinking that "we are the most free people in the world-lower your shield and surrender your ship. Your technological and biological distinctivness will be added to our own..." doens't mean that we fit your mold-nor that other countries fit it less than us. Stop trying to pedistalize the US!

The U.S. is a Representative Republic. Obviously not the BEST way to go, but in the evolution toward the perfect government, it's the best thing going so far.

To be a subject is to be less free than someone who is not a subject.

But being a subject beats being property of the state, as in communist countries.

Ive been to England. Its a nice place. The people are friendly, I even played a game of Snooker with some locals in a pub. The barkeep gave me a bar towel afterwards. That was one of my most prized possessions. Stinking movers stole it.:mad:

But what makes me glad I dont live there is when I hear of someone that was thrown in prison for defending himself and his home. And anyone who tries to defend him is told to shut up. Those are assaults on basic rights that I cannot tolerate.

Back