what would have happened to sether

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you should say "As the kilrathi say the humans say "bla h blah blah"

Or you can just say "Bullshit"

TC

Really? What other swear words are allowed on this board? Just for interest's sake, you understand. :)

Best, Raptor

This ain't #Wing-Commander! We can swear all we want, dammit.

(No force powers, though -- that's cheating!)

Originally posted by RFBurns
That is, if they follow the Geneva Convention regulations. As recent as Samalia (spelling), they did not honor the Geneva Convention rules. Our men got killed (US), dragged thru the street, and we all watched it on tv.
Somalia is a difficult case. There was no country as such involved - Somalia was in a state of anarchy. Second, you can hardly expect men to be given good treatment after they're already dead. Thirdly... hmm... no, I think this is one political discussion even I would prefer to avoid. Let's just say, what the UN forces (under US pressure) did was *wrong*. They were practically asking for that sort of treatment.

Originally posted by Raptor
Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Ya know, that has to REALLY suck to be put in a position like that. If you don't follow orders, your dead. If you DO follow orders, you may very well still be dead.

It must also REALLY suck to be have your body dissolve into mush after you have bioweapons dropped on you. I find it hard to feel any sympathy for the Black Lancers. If any of the pilots disagreed with their orders, all they had to do was to take one of those cloaked dragons, head for the nearest Confed BW base, and blow the entire plan out of the water.

Best, Raptor

they would just get shot down. its actually fun shooting down cloaked fighters in the dragon.

Originally posted by Quarto
Somalia is a difficult case. There was no country as such involved - Somalia was in a state of anarchy. Second, you can hardly expect men to be given good treatment after they're already dead. Thirdly... hmm... no, I think this is one political discussion even I would prefer to avoid. Let's just say, what the UN forces (under US pressure) did was *wrong*. They were practically asking for that sort of treatment.

Granted there isnt much sense in giving good treatment after one is dead, but to drag and kick and stand on and mutilate them on tv. I cannot begin to imagine how those soldiers families felt when they turned on the tv that evening and saw their son's being abused like that. The mission there may have been wrong, the intent was to aid the people, not fight them, the people of Somalia did not want our help. But the US insisted. They may have been there for the wrong reasons. I would agree it was wrong. But what we saw on tv wasnt exactly justified either.

Quite frankly, Im suprised the US took it as lightly as we did after seeing all that on the news. That just goes to show that even in this new millenium, there are still people that think and act like its the dark ages. The time may advance into the future, but mankind has a very long way to go.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
I cannot begin to imagine how those soldiers families felt when they turned on the tv that evening and saw their son's being abused like that. The mission there may have been wrong, the intent was to aid the people, not fight them, the people of Somalia did not want our help. But the US insisted. They may have been there for the wrong reasons. I would agree it was wrong. But what we saw on tv wasnt exactly justified either.
I know that for the soldiers' families it must have been incredibly painful, but I don't think anybody could realistically expect the Somalis to act differently. Their behavior cannot be justified, but I think it can actually be excused. When someone's out to kill you, what his intents were originally is not much of a consolation...
Thing is, there is a basic misunderstanding of what went wrong in Somalia. It wasn't, like you stated, because the Somalis didn't want the world's help - it was because the world was not helping. The last thing any peacekeeping force should do is get involved in combat (which is exactly what happened). Once you become a combatant, you're just another side in the conflict. You're no longer a peacekeeper, and you really shouldn't be surprised if the other combatants no longer treat you like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back