what would a flashpack do?

I say that it would kill everything in the empire state building, in iraq, it would get just a little hotter because there is sooo much more room, and in the water well you know shamoo, well she is dead

No mistake about it...flash-packs ARE the new-age nukes (unless you count bio-weapons...but that stuff belongs in the Black Lance thread).

BTW, flash-packs work by effectivly microwaving the interior of ships and blowing their guts out. Not pleasent, especially if you're the one being flash-packed. :|

I know we've discussed why the confeds don't use dragons and cloaking, but why not flash-pacs? I would assume that such a device would be devastating to a bug carrier.

That's an important question. It may set off the oil fields depending on where it went off. Remeber, the flashpacks were only used on ships. This is because of the confined space. A planet atomsphere is too big and the pack would get deluted, IIRC.

Probably the same reason they dont use bioweapons. You have to set a limit on how nasty your going to get or else real soon you get to the point where you have wiped out everything.

Or perhaps flashpaks don't work with bug capships because of their heavy duty armor and the fact that you can't fly straight through them like you could the Vesuvius.. :)

Yeah, they could sit a guy in a space suit on a bug ship hull and give him a pneumatic drill to penetrate the armor if they wanted to, but it wouldn't change the fact that flashpaks aren't designed to penetrate armor. Don't forget even our guns and missiles are useless against bug capship armor. Only torpedoes are heavy enough to do the job.

Alright, so the reason why they dont use flashpaks anymore (besides any moral reason) is that the dang things wouldnt get through the bug's armor anyway. Case closed.

True, you may not be able to fly through the Bug capships like you could the Vesuvius, but you didn't need to fly through Ella and Seether sure as hell didn't need to fly through the Amadeus!

Confed (and any other major power) would have course have used any weapon to get the job done, never mind about the morality of humankind. Look at the napalm campaign in the Vietnam war, and the only reason the Yanks didn't nuke Vietnam is because they didn't want China or the USSR to launch a nuclear counterattack! Ah, the lack of American balls which resulted in so much death and suffering.

I myself always wondered about the absence of the Flash Pack, I mean, even if they were useless against the Bugs, Confed would have still HAD them, and tried them out on the Bugs. However, since Casey's lot have first contact (apart from the Deverueax), we can only assume that either (like the Dragon) they're costing too much to manufacture on a mass scale, or that armour technology in Confed, let alone other species, has surpassed it's penetration. True, you could still fry a few Cats with it, but what would be the point?........

What's the point of carrying flash-packs as standard issue weapons if the only things they're useful on are things that torps are equally effective on? Also... the public tends to dislike it's military using weapons that are associated with crazed genocidal space-nazis... I don't know why...

TC

Back