What to play in the 21st century? advice needed

I think I might break my Amiga out of storage and get Elite running again...

Actually there's been very little real development in computer games in the past ten or so years. A game comes out, is succesful, gets ripped off and slightly developed or evolved for a few years. There are a few original ideas out there, but you have to look hard for them.

What are you talking about? Its been ALL developement over the last 10 years. 10 years ago Wing Commander came out. (Ok 11 years ago) but it wasnt really until after that point that we have the games we do. First person shooter, realtime strategy, war simulations of all varieties from flight to tank simulation, massive multiplayer games, its all come since then.

I think its obvious that games are so incrediably complex. I have a 64 DDR vid card. My first Pc didn't even have 64 MB of Harddisc space! hehe Its funny in a way.
It just seems in order to meet deadlines , programs focus 95% time on making the game look good, and a few hours at the end thinking up a "plot."
I feel games should be like movies, you only direct and produce one if you have a good plot, and believeable characters.
Q3 and UT are the appidemy of what i'm talking about. No really spirit to the game, just graphics and guns (dont get me wrong i enjoy firearms =) but i like plot and people in my games.

herb_co

Re: Re: the new, the old, and the ugly

Originally posted by The_Gneech

Take a look at what's happened to the 1st-person shooter ... there are some new ones coming out, but they've had their boom and they're waning now. Pretty soon, the core shooter fans will be sitting around wondering what happened to _their_ favorite game genre. (...)
Strongly disagree!!

Look at Quake 3 Arena and Counterstrike... two 1st person shooters... who have litterally exploded on the big market thanks to their online multiplayer capabilities...

Agreed, if you can only play vs. the computer, it's really obsolete... but as soon as quality 1st person shooters get multiplayer... :cool:

And even then, I'll be ready to bet Jedi Knight 2 will be a smash it even based solely on its solo campaign (but there's really no way to tell, since it's gonna be multiplayer also :) )...

Originally posted by Supdon3
What are you talking about? Its been ALL developement over the last 10 years. 10 years ago Wing Commander came out. (Ok 11 years ago) but it wasnt really until after that point that we have the games we do. First person shooter, realtime strategy, war simulations of all varieties from flight to tank simulation, massive multiplayer games, its all come since then.

FPS games have been around more than 10 years - the idea wasn't particularly new when Wolfenstein 3d came out, it simply was the first one to do it decently. Flight and tank sims have been on home computers for 20 years now. I played (admittedly simple) RTS games in the 80s, before Dune2 or Syndicate came along.

The only "new" game type mentioned are the massive multiplayer games. And that was only because it wasn't technically possible, no easy internet like today.

I want to know where the new IDEAS come from, not just ripping something off, updating the graphics, adding a multiplayer mode and such... Even something like Black & White isn't really much more than an update of Populous. I don't know, maybe all the good ideas have been thought of already.

UT and Q3 is blasmey or however you spell it
if it dosent include
singleplayer
multiplayer
it sucks

nowdays the only things the game designers are doing is creating the best grafixs they can, no good plot no good single player...

Dune2, Doom, Walker ahhh those where the days those where the games, todays games are obsolete after 2 weeks IMHO

Starlancer a great game with good grafix, but it lacks that final touch replay value you cant modify your ships much, you cant play the bad guys, not enough beta tested missions (ion cannon able to shoot trough itself and kill you) you could call your teamates with only like 3 commands

back of hes mine
attack my target
help me out here

and also I hate the I am the hero I save the world games in FPS its allright but in SL you have to do 95% of the work yourself it took 3 minutes for all your wingmen to kill of a single fighter while it took yourself merly 10 seconds

you where only a fighter pilot no bomber runs or anything, you got to fire 4 torps in a single mission then you would change into fighter

besides the rear mounted turrets dosent work HELLO!!!, and capships where limited around 20 cannons or SL risked to crash on your comp

I started this threated to find a good privateer game for windows. Its come a nice little trip down memeory lane.

If anyone cares, i still have some old doom stuff laning around i archived to cdr, including both doom1 and doom2 full versions (v1.9) for windoes. If someone had doom for DOS and wants to play it again in win, look me up on icq. A friend and i did a few dm doom sessions a year ago. It was interesting after playing UT. I even have some of my old editing crap with my very first level hehe.

I don't think all the original ideas have been done (at least not to death) but our programs need to realize there is more to a game then graphics, and focus some on it.

herb_co

Re: Re: Re: the new, the old, and the ugly

Originally posted by mpanty

Look at Quake 3 Arena and Counterstrike... two 1st person shooters... who have litterally exploded on the big market thanks to their online multiplayer capabilities...

Yes, but Counterstrike wasn't exactly a commerical game... ;)

It is now. You can pick it up for about 30 bucks at any store that sells software (which is stupid considering you can still download it for free)

My 8 Disk old Monkey Isalnd I is far better than the most Graphical Adventure !!!!!
And the old Joan of Arc one of the best strategic games ever !!!

Re: Re: Re: the new, the old, and the ugly

Originally posted by mpanty

Strongly disagree!!

...I'll be ready to bet Jedi Knight 2 will be a smash it even based solely on its solo campaign (but there's really no way to tell, since it's gonna be multiplayer also :) )... [/B]

I'll grant you that the FPS is NOT dead by any means. Duke Nukem Forever has me on the edge of my seat, as well as Jedi Knight II: Outcast. The ultimate expression about how alive the FPS genre is is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Hailed as the best game at E3 this year, you actually re-enact the Invasion of Normandy, and I'm not talking a dopey little 8 against 8 UT Bot level.
PC Gamer can be quoted as comparing it to the opening 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan as men are torn by bullets, vomiting out of fright, blown 30 feet into the air and the only thing you can do is get the hell into the water.

http://pcgamers.net/img/june27-1.jpg
http://pcgamers.net/img/june20s3.jpg
http://pcgamers.net/img/june06_03.jpg

Or just go here: http://pcgamers.net/mohaa/gameinfo/images/shots5.shtml

So there! :)

[Edited by LeHah on 07-18-2001 at 09:03]

Originally posted by Ghost
And the old Joan of Arc one of the best strategic games ever !!!

That was a great old game. And also one of the first games that tried that interactive movie stuff that spawned WC.

Originally posted by LeHah
(...) The ultimate expression about how alive the FPS genre is is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Hailed as the best game at E3 this year, you actually re-enact the Invasion of Normandy, and I'm not talking a dopey little 8 against 8 UT Bot level.
(...)
Or just go here: http://pcgamers.net/mohaa/gameinfo/images/shots5.shtml
Erm... all I gotta say is... WOW!
thumb.gif
:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: the new, the old, and the ugly

Originally posted by LeHah
I'll grant you that the FPS is NOT dead by any means. Duke Nukem Forever has me on the edge of my seat, as well as Jedi Knight II: Outcast

OMG! They actually released Duke Nukem Forever? :eek: :eek:

They haven't released it Bob, but I do have the E3 movie on a CD! ;) It also has the E3 movie of Metal Gear Solid 2 and another MGS2 trailer.

I'm pleased that you appreciate good gaming, MP! Imagine that imagery along with Michael Giacchino's orchestral score! Last time me and Mike spoke was 6/5 and he was gonna score Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (for the PC) and Medal of Honor: Frontline (PSX2) the week after.

Giacchino makes the series what it is: Masterful.

[Edited by LeHah on 07-18-2001 at 20:48]

I want Medal of Honor, DNF and JK2 Outcast very bad !!!!!
when DNF will be release ??? ,When it´s done ??? :)
Thanks Dak !!! I thought that was the only one who knows the game of Joan of Arc !!!

the cs retail is different to the dloadable version it has some different maps, + is a lot easier to install :)

Sadly, Ghost, they stick to their guns and won't say anything other than "When it's done.". Rumor is it'll be on shelves some time in Q4 of 2001. Supposedly, there will be a map converter, allowing you to play old Duke Nukem 3D maps under DNF's enhanced Unreal engine!

I, too, am VERY much looking forward to MOH:AA. In fact, thats one of the few game series around that I love as much as Wing Commander (CivII and JK might be the only other ones)

I hope that DNF be a good game, not a crap like Daikatana...3 or 4 years of development and the game is bs.

Back