What sports do you guys like to play?

Originally posted by K1nG Gr4H4m
I might sound stupid, but last month I did an all night bowling with some friends. I played for 6 hours in a row. After that, I had a shoulder pain for 3 days and couldn't feel my thumb for 2 weeks. So, I guess I know why they call it a sport. You need to swing a 14 pounds bowl like 30 times / hour. I guess the old folks are in better shape then me :eek:

LOL:D How was your performance that night did you win?

Originally posted by WildWeasel
This is where we insert the obligatory statement about how this explains what the heck's wrong with you.

:: obligatory Billy Joel tune wafts thru the background::

"..You may be right; I may be crazy..."

Originally posted by K1nG Gr4H4m
I might sound stupid, but last month I did an all night bowling with some friends. I played for 6 hours in a row. After that, I had a shoulder pain for 3 days and couldn't feel my thumb for 2 weeks. So, I guess I know why they call it a sport. You need to swing a 14 pounds bowl like 30 times / hour. I guess the old folks are in better shape then me :eek:

were you using your own ball, or an alley ball, cause I can bowl for extended periods with my own ball 'cos it it is drilled to fit my hand exactly (no one else can use it though because my thumb hole is half inch offset), whereas using alley balls knacker me up after about four games.

Ah, yes, Ten Pin Bowling. The official recreational sport of the Year 12s (final year) at my high school. :)

I was never that good. I usually play with a 10 pound ball. Think the most I ever got was about 163 - usually I get closer to 100-120. And I don't have any stamina either - I usually play worse in the second game.

One week, my friend was on a complete roll - nothing but strikes and spares. Can't remember exactly what the score was but it was over 220. 'twas so good they made an announcement on the PA, embarrassing him. :)

Bowling is alright, My grandad is a master at it, I played him over summer before coming away to uni, and he always gets all his boules within about 3 inches of the jack.

Sports. (Sigh.) I never was one for organized sports. I just normally ran around and did my own thing. But every once in a while, I'd get in a game of volleyball, (I sucked, cause I'm short. Much shorter, then.) Softball, a lead off home run because everyone moved in, and I hit it over the outfielder's head, barely, and it went all the way to the fence. And I hustled! I also broke my hand in a softball game once, the ol' 10 year high school reunion. I hit a crappy roller to the third baseman, and hit first base wierd and wiped out real bad. I beat the throw, though!:D Anyway, the first baseman came up to me and asked if I was O.K., at the time I thought I had just sprained my hand, so I said I was fine. He said, "Oh shit! We're in trouble." At the time, I thought that was a strange thing for him to say, but later I figured that maybe he heard the bones snap or something.

That was really the last time I played a sport, but I've always been into shooting. I don't do clays, though, I'm a rifle and pistol kind of guy. Don't even own a shotgun.

speaking of bone crunching I remember one game against Mellish a few years ago, anyway, it was really raining hard and the pitch was really muddy. we all packed down for a scrum (I play number 4 or 5, the second row of the scrum) we couldn't get any traction in the mud as it was so soft our studs just slid through it, the scrum collapses and we all heard a horrible crunch, the Mellish tight head prop had broken his neck.....gahh, I can remeber that sound today (the prop was very lucky and did not sever his spinal cord, although he never played again)

I remember When I was Eight I was playing Little league Baseball actually more like pop warner cause we all sucked in the league, but Someone hit a high ball out to left field where I played and I remember putting my hand up and I missed (I have really bad motor skills problems and poor hand eye cordination as handicap from a ceasure I had as a baby. Though it has gotten much better as I have overcome alot of the problems caused by it.) it, hit me square in the eye and knocked my ass out. :eek: I laugh about it now though as its pretty damn funny in my opinion.:D

back when i was in little league baseball, during practice our coach was pitching and got drilled right in the nuts! that was funny, cause he went pure white faster than you could say it. (he laughed about it later, but he never went up to pitch against that gut again!)

Originally posted by Aries
back when i was in little league baseball, during practice our coach was pitching and got drilled right in the nuts! that was funny, cause he went pure white faster than you could say it. (he laughed about it later, but he never went up to pitch against that gut again!)

Sounds like he didn't like that rendition of the Nutcracker Sweet.

LOL:D :D

you better believe he didn't. on another note...one of my best friends was playing golf one day and when he hit the ball he killed a bird! :D imagine the odds of that.

Originally posted by Aries

Not funny, at all. Ok, it is funny. But when you played catcher in every game since you started pitching a baseball (I believe thats around 10 or 11 where I grew up) you take quiter a few shots in the most delicate part of your body. Most of the time you have a nice sheet of protective plastic there, and still getting hit with a cup on is no walk in the park. But sometimes, just sometimes you go to what is supposed to be a meet and greet practice with the best players in the state and the coach decides to take some BP. You tell him you didn't bring the most protective part of your gear and he says that nothing will happen, everyone will just get 5 pitches. You are relieved and able to defend yourself until the last batter of the day decides to clip one straight down to the plate and back up into my . . . well no one needs details. Lets just say that that was the 2nd worst feeling I've ever had in my life (considering I've ripped ligaments and muscles in ever part of my body and had a root canal where local anesthetic was ineffective :) ). Everyone have a nice day walking funny now :)

C-ya

I wouldn't know about being catcher...all I played was 1st base and a little outfield. I ain't never had any baseballs come at me low. i guess i was lucky.

Originally posted by Viper61
Not funny, at all. Ok, it is funny. But when you played catcher in every game since you started pitching a baseball (I believe thats around 10 or 11 where I grew up) you take quiter a few shots in the most delicate part of your body. Most of the time you have a nice sheet of protective plastic there, and still getting hit with a cup on is no walk in the park. But sometimes, just sometimes you go to what is supposed to be a meet and greet practice with the best players in the state and the coach decides to take some BP. You tell him you didn't bring the most protective part of your gear and he says that nothing will happen, everyone will just get 5 pitches. You are relieved and able to defend yourself until the last batter of the day decides to clip one straight down to the plate and back up into my . . . well no one needs details. Lets just say that that was the 2nd worst feeling I've ever had in my life (considering I've ripped ligaments and muscles in ever part of my body and had a root canal where local anesthetic was ineffective :) ). Everyone have a nice day walking funny now :)

C-ya

I can top that one (without trying to get to graphic lets just say in a sports related injury I got kneed on the football field and I somehow got mine twisted in the process lasted for a week worst pain ever imagineable it hurts like you broke a rib cause every time you move you have trouble breathing. I have also shattered my elbow and dislocated my shoulder at the same time resulting in two months in a hospital bed with a pole stuck through my arm itching like crazy, as well damaging my knee and ankle to the point where I can't play football anymore. Not that this is a competition or anything. :D

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
I can top that one (without trying to get to graphic lets just say in a sports related injury I got kneed on the football field and I somehow got mine twisted in the process lasted for a week worst pain ever imagineable it hurts like you broke a rib cause every time you move you have trouble breathing. I have also shattered my elbow and dislocated my shoulder at the same time resulting in two months in a hospital bed with a pole stuck through my arm itching like crazy, as well damaging my knee and ankle to the point where I can't play football anymore. Not that this is a competition or anything. :D

Wow, I've got alot of injuries form playing football and baseball in high school, but none that will top that.
*kneels down and bestows the Freakish Pain Award to DoomsdayPlague to the cheering of his fellows*

Well the good thing is from the mentioned injury list is that since I havent played in 3 and a half years so I have all but healed. The arm injury I sustand happened when I was 10 so I have had along time for that to heal but the fact is that was my handwriting arm and from then to now and till the day I die I will have the handwriting of a third grader. My ankle and knee have healed to near perfect but I still have to wear a brace on both cause they are weak from the damage that was inflicted from the clip which ended my highschool ball career and I just didn't want to take the chance again. (Not that this matters Though but my two best friends from my middle school team had some real talent so I expect to see them in the college ball ranks as soon as next year. Any one heard of a Jermaine Martin or a Tamar Staurt they also happen to be cousins so if they were doing well the annoucers would probably make reference to them. I have not talked to these guys for years so I don't know if they are playing college ball and thats why I asked.):D

Heh... I don't know whether to feel blessed or to feel like a wuss. I've played a lot of hockey (my fave sport), and the worst injury I ever got was a sprained ankle.

The most the bone broke was this little flake off of the joint. In a few weeks, I was walking normally again. I think that's about the worst I've done for sports injuries.

Back