What sports do you guys like to play?

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
So, is it basketball, baseball, hockey, football (American football), soccer, volleyball, track, rugby, boxing, bowling, golf, criquet, pool?

I was on the basketball team in HS. There were several colleges who wanted me on their teams, probably just for my vertical-leap, which was between 42 and 45-inches (I wasn't so good otherwise-- except 3-pointers.).

Baseball isn't so bad, but softball sucks, and girls play softball, not baseball. And they throw underhand and any f*cking idiot can hit that. It kind of bored the hell out of me. When I was sitting in the field, I zoned out half the time because I could care less. Nearly got bonked in the head once because I wasn't paying attention.

Hockey's cool, but I'm not particularly used to using hockey skates. I'm okay though, and it is pretty fun. Of course I think George Carlin got it right. It's actually 3 things at once -- Ice Skating, fiddling around with a puck and beating the sh*t out of people. The third one's cool as long as you're not on the receiving end.

Football, I like to watch actually. I know that's wierd that I'd like football, but it's not a bad sport. The problem is that the pace of events is slow sometimes, especially if you have a bad offense and a good defense. It also pisses me off to no end when they're an inch from a first down and they punt. Oh f*ck! Just run the motherf*cking ball! You only punt if you're like 20 yards away from the other guy's end-zone or you got like 40 yards to run for a first-down (like if you got a 10 ten yard penalty, and the QB got sacked twice in a row after he got blitzed and decided rather than just throw the ball off into oblivion, ran back like 15 yards and got creamed :p ).

Soccer's cool, but it just sucks that you can't hit the ball with your hands. Your feet and legs do almost all the work, with your head doing the rest. They say blows to the head are bad for you, although I've taken little head hits in soccer, I have taken a few hits in B-Ball and nothign ever's happened... happened... happened to me :D . The goalie's the nicest position because you can use your hands, which I prefer.

Volleyball's a nice sport actually. I played it briefly in HS (gym teacher threatned to fail me if I didn't join the team in 9th grade after she saw me jump up and spike the ball-- nearly broke some poor girls nose. Ms. ****** was an insensitive, arrogant bitch.). If you really want some fun, play it on the beach, you lose like a foot of vertical. I'm still in the 30 inch range.

Track-n-Field: This is a good one, and I'm a good sprinter, but if you want anything more than a mile out of me in good time you're out of luck. I can do up to 5 miles effectively in decent time though.

-Concordia

I'm planning to take up Bombing Run in Unreal Championship on XBox Live this week.

I play Dance Dance Revolution from time to time and yell at people while driving.
I'm not good at any sports, but I would play beach volleyball, if there was a beach around here and the chix looked like Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Volleyball, baby, both then and now!...
Nothin' more satisfyin' than making an amazing diving save, sacrificing yer body to keep the ball in play and your mates spike it home. ('less of course YOU're the one making the spike...)

'merican Football in HS; Rugby in college (cuz the place I went to undergrad didn't have a football program). Schweet destruxion!

And then the sweet science, boxing (till I got a concussion and decided to heed the warning and hang up the gloves).

Originally posted by Preacher
And then the sweet science, boxing (till I got a concussion and decided to heed the warning and hang up the gloves).

This is where we insert the obligatory statement about how this explains what the heck's wrong with you.

Originally posted by K1nG Gr4H4m
I play Dance Dance Revolution from time to time.
That's not a sport... is it?

I used to play tennis in the local Saturday morning junior (team) competition, but nowadays just socially. I also enjoy rollerblading and ice skating when I get the chance. Rockclimbing (indoor) is fun too.

Ah, yes. Now the jocks of the WC community can be heard :)

Played (American) football and baseball in HS and was pretty good at both (2nd team all state in football and 1st team all conferece in baseball). I was too small to play football at the collegiate level, but I did try out for baseball. As a catcher you need to be able to do 3 things well. . . 1 - play defense, 2 - hit well, 3 - have a cannon for an arm. I was an excellent defensive catcher and I hit decently well, but I lacked a strong enough arm to play *sniff* :(. I now play intramural sports like flag football and basketball. I also play in adult league softball and baseball divisions.

Oh and here is a rant in defense of the 2 sports that Concordia kindof blasted. Have you ever played fast-pitch softball? Sure the ball is bigger, but the fields are smaller and there are more fielders, meaning less places to put the ball in play and still be safe. And better pitchers can run a softball up there at around 60-70 mph, which doesn't seem very fast until you realize that they are piching from 45 feet instead of the baseball mound distance of 60 feet.

And 4th and 1 depends on the situation. Football is a game of field position, especially when you have kickers who can hit FG from 50+ yards out. I'd much rather punt and put the ball on an opponents 10 then take the chance of letting them have it at the 50 yard line. Real football is a far cry form Madden or NCAA gameday where you go for 4th and 12 from your own 35 and not think twice about it. It's a little more cerebral than that.

C-ya

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's not a sport... is it?

I used to play tennis in the local Saturday morning junior (team) competition, but nowadays just socially. I also enjoy rollerblading and ice skating when I get the chance. Rockclimbing (indoor) is fun too.

Well, it's almost one. In the new version they have a workout mode, so you can see how many calories you spent while playing. If you played with a dance mat of course.

Originally posted by Viper61
Ah, yes. Now the jocks of the WC community can be heard :)

Oh and here is a rant in defense of the 2 sports that Concordia kindof blasted. Have you ever played fast-pitch softball? Sure the ball is bigger, but the fields are smaller and there are more fielders, meaning less places to put the ball in play and still be safe. And better pitchers can run a softball up there at around 60-70 mph, which doesn't seem very fast until you realize that they are piching from 45 feet instead of the baseball mound distance of 60 feet.

I didn't play with such people. The people I played with were usually standing there and hitting their heart out and couldn't hit that ball if their life depended on it. It's like "Strike one" "strike two" "foul" "foul" "foul", and eventually it was like "Strike three, yer out!". Then the second person goes up and it's the same thing. And I just don't have patience for sh*t like this. I wasn't on a team for softball-- I was in Gym, and I didn't really like gym particularly when I was younger. The teachers were always abusive of their authority and the kids were assholes.

And 4th and 1 depends on the situation. Football is a game of field position, especially when you have kickers who can hit FG from 50+ yards out. I'd much rather punt and put the ball on an opponents 10 then take the chance of letting them have it at the 50 yard line. Real football is a far cry form Madden or NCAA gameday where you go for 4th and 12 from your own 35 and not think twice about it. It's a little more cerebral than that.

I know, but there are cases where they're just one inch short, and they're about half-way across the field and they just punt it! I can see sometimes when a punt's necessary, like when you're like 4th and 12-15 yards or more, or when you're like dangerously close to your own goal so you don't want them to get possession with a tactical advantage.

But current NFL-teams just punt on 4th down. It doesn't matter, it's like 1st down you run, 2nd down you run, 3rd down you run, and 4th down you punt, even if you're an inch from the first-down. I'm just sick and tired of them always punting it no matter what. Punting should be done when necessary, but otherwise run. It's not like you're going to die if you end up losing. The other team gets the ball and even if they score, so what? You'll get another chance at scoring.

-Concordia

I liked to play Ironman american football. (offense and defense in the same game) (I didn't have much of a choice since we had 19 players compared to most other teams having 35 it eventually ended my career though because I injured my knee and ankle real bad when someone clipped me in the back of the leg.(that was a pop warner league though) I played the following year of highschool ball for about 2 games before I ended up messing my ankle and knee again and had to quit cause I didn't want to end up risk damaging it permanently.)

Bring on the Rugby Union, none of that league crap, I used to be pretty good in my day as well.
I am sort of retired at the moment through injury, but I still play the occasional game (naughty, naughty) but I'll be back. I used to play in goal at hockey for my school, and recently started playing Lacrosse before the great injury incident.

And I quite like Ten pin Bowling, but its whether you count that as a sport or not

Originally posted by Oggy
And I quite like Ten pin Bowling, but its whether you count that as a sport or not

Hey if golfs a sport (I sorta like it) then so is bowling as well as pool or any xtreme sports like pro bmx, pro Skating or any other one not listed. I consider a sport anything that requires real skill a sport. But I don't think gambling is like poker (which is on ESPN sometimes) because it relies to much on luck rather than real skill.

Yeah, some sports channels have a weird definition of sports. If they move their body and people watch them while drinking beer, then it must be a sport.

yeah not all sports have to have you risking injury to be considered a sport (if that were true my favorite tv show WWE would be also considered a sport even though the results are determined before hand. and you don't need to bash me for liking it because I've heard it all before) Just a real talent needs to be used for instance in pool you have to be able to know how to aim and visualize where its gonna go after you strike it, Bowling's just the same.

I might sound stupid, but last month I did an all night bowling with some friends. I played for 6 hours in a row. After that, I had a shoulder pain for 3 days and couldn't feel my thumb for 2 weeks. So, I guess I know why they call it a sport. You need to swing a 14 pounds bowl like 30 times / hour. I guess the old folks are in better shape then me :eek:

Back