what prophecy/secret ops fighters can fly in atmosphere?

yes, I believe the poketank thing has begun spiraling (SP?) out of control. What was that thing you let me borrow yesterday called?

I see that there have been quite many posts since yesterday... To be back on topic: Shouldn't it be so that all WC fightes are made in a way that they do NOT produce any kind of lift when flying through an atmosphere? I mean this would make them better suited to fly in any kind of atmosphere (with wings, they would fly different in a gas giant than on earth, for example)

The hellcat and Excalibur do not have wings that create lift, so I think these would fly in any atmosphere, but I don't see any WC fighter that would have problems with that (maybe the wasp as creating a lot of aerodynamic turbulence)

but the wc4 confed shuttle looks like a brick so it cant be wind resistance. i still think that the atmospheric fighters must have ramjets or somthing for atmosphere.

its a jet engine without turbofans. it has to operate at high speeds to force or ram the air into it. then the fuel is burned to create more thrust. the SR-71 uses engines that can work as turbofans and as a ramjet

oh... aren't most WC naval fighters ment for one and only one thing, Space Combat? Wouldn't they have developed seperate fighters for atmospheric combat, like the Kilrathi did in WCIII?

Originally posted by $tormin
its a jet engine without turbofans. it has to operate at high speeds to force or ram the air into it. then the fuel is burned to create more thrust. the SR-71 uses engines that can work as turbofans and as a ramjet

Why do you think that they must have ramjets? I mean an ion engine produces lift, no matter where you are flying, so I think they should be used in both atmosphere and space.

Originally posted by Sonntag

Why do you think that they must have ramjets? I mean an ion engine produces lift, no matter where you are flying, so I think they should be used in both atmosphere and space.

I don't think ion engines would produce enough thrust to allow a spacefighter to fly in an atmosphere. ion engines are really quite weak. to get an idea of the thrust produced by a modern ion engine rest a piece of paper on your fingertips. the weight is about the ammount of thrust produced by a small ion engine. in 600 years they came a long way but still they would have to overcome both air resistance, which is considerable. and gravity.

I don't think ion engines would produce enough thrust to allow a spacefighter to fly in an atmosphere. ion engines are really quite weak. to get an idea of the thrust produced by a modern ion engine rest a piece of paper on your fingertips. the weight is about the ammount of thrust produced by a small ion engine. in 600 years they came a long way but still they would have to overcome both air resistance, which is considerable. and gravity.

But where should the ramjet get the air and the fuel from? In this case, ordinary Hydrogen-oxigen engines as they are used on the space shuttle would do best.
And as the Wing commander engines are so powerful in space, I still think that they would create sufficient power in atmosphere conditions.

But where should the ramjet get the air and the fuel from? In this case, ordinary Hydrogen-oxigen engines as they are used on the space shuttle would do best.
And as the Wing commander engines are so powerful in space, I still think that they would create sufficient power in atmosphere conditions.

the air would come from the atmosphere and the fuel is probably the same stuff the fighters regularly use.
I will have to calculate the power of those engines. simple really. all i have to do is time how long it takes to fly between 2 fixed points of known distance and calculate with the mass of the ship.

Originally posted by Mav23
oh... aren't most WC naval fighters ment for one and only one thing, Space Combat? Wouldn't they have developed seperate fighters for atmospheric combat, like the Kilrathi did in WCIII?

Not at all:) They never know where they will have to take the fight too, space or planetary atmospheres. Part of their role as fighters includes covering Marine insertion into a planet. I would think fighters specifically assigned to guard a planetary target would be fighters most likely exclusively made for flying in an atmosphere. But even then it would limit their ability to protect the planet if they couldnt intercept the attacking force in space BEFORE they got to the planet.

Wouldnt all of them be able to fly in planitary atmospheres, I mean they DO land on the Midway, in the hangar, which is a pressurized area complete with air and gravity. Maybe certian weapons wont work in an atmosphere, but the craft themselves should be able to fly around in an atmosphere as well as open space.

RFB

Well, we never get to see the ships when they actually land, I didn't anyway. I mean in WCP/WCSO

There is a scene in WCP after Casey wins a battle protecting Midway. He is given congrats from his flight group and Capt. Willford. Just before he goes and checks his stats, he is talking and saying "I wish Hawk could have been here to see this", that scene, if you look in the background, a Vampire is landing right behind them.

RFB

Yes, but isn't it being carried by one of those cranes that puts the fighters in their bays along the Midway's interior? That's kind of funny that they had a Vampire and the Wolf-Packs haven't been transferred yet :)

Back