What one thing do you want to see most in UE2?

What one thing do you want to see in Unknown Enemy 2?

• A long winning path

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • A complex branching system

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • More ships from the previous games

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Brand new ships

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • High emphasis on plot

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • More carriers

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Character animation in FMV

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • An inbuilt fiction viewer

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by cff
Interlaced video?

You can turn that one on and off in WC4Windows, WCP and UE.

Well, as I said, I kinda like it, but since you mentioned it, HOW do I turn it off if I wished to do so?...

...is it right there with all the other options on the "Options" screen (along w/ lens flare, et al)?... If so, I musta overlooked that.

No because a tractor beam would need to be able to lock onto an object, activate a sphere around it and move it towards you, no easy task, but maybe possible with clever mission scripting incoporated

Ask HCl

Originally posted by Pedro
Inbuilt fiction viewer is something I really want... and today I figured out exactly how, assuming HCl can't do a miracle that doesn't require a work around :) Its based on an idea that Eder came up with from Standoff but combined with a bright idea we had back when we didn't have the proper compression for speech.

A new idea? Hey, I'm listening. I still have tons of fiction to write, you know :p

--Eder

Re tractor-beam...

Should be possible, with a carefully scripted mission. Some relevant points imho:

- Targetting the object: should be possible if the object is built as a fighter. If you need to know which object the player is targetting, a new mission command could be arranged ;)

- Activating the tractor-beam: a modification to the gun's patch along with a new mission command could let the mission script know when the player activated the beam (assuming the tractor beam is defined as a gun, much in the same way as the cloak was defined as a gun in Armada).

- Once the tractor-beam is considered "activated", moving the object towards the player's ship and making it disappear when it's close enough (ie, when it's been tractored into the fighter): there should be functions able to do this already implemented (either by changing directly the object world coordinates or making it face the player's ship and accelerate towards it...)

All that's missing is some kind of tractor-sphere-effect (like the one in Priv), but maybe that could be solved with some creative moddeling.

Pedro: let us know about your idea regarding the integrated fiction viewer. I haven't started work on that text function we discussed and probably won't have the opportunity of doing so in the next few months... so if you have an alternative i'll take it off the to-do list :)

Would someone explain why there's not more votes for "An inbuilt fiction viewer"? For Christ's sake, I got so damned annoyed with having to exit every time I finished a mission that I stopped remembering the passwords and said "Nuts to the fiction, I'm just going to play this game and not understand what I'm doing." Oh wait, I edited every last inch of the fiction, I already know what it says. Never mind :eek:

Originally posted by Preacher
...is it right there with all the other options on the "Options" screen (along w/ lens flare, et al)?... If so, I musta overlooked that.

It is right there. Somewhere in the left lower corner of one of the 3 option screens.

No because a tractor beam would need to be able to lock onto an object, activate a sphere around it and move it towards you, no easy task, but maybe possible with clever mission scripting incoporated
Ask HCl

Well...
Regarding locking - just create a tractor gun.
Regarding the sphere - wouldn't the shield effect do if triggered constantly? Or do a tranparent 2D bitmap if nothig else helps. How do the SO cutscenes do it?
Regarding hit detection - use the leech code already there.
Regarding moving - well,do it manually. If ship X is 'leeched' move it 10 clicks towards the player...

Ask HCl

Pardon me, but isn't the visual effect for tractoring already present within the game? (I ejected once, and they ran a sequence where my pod gets tractored in by an S & R vehicle...)

The probelm is: we don't know how to use it. It might be hardcoded. No mision ever used the tractor beam, so we don't know the functions that trigger it nor how it works exactly.

Idea for the fiction viewer is an extension of Eders... we could make a batch file to convert monochrome bitmaps to the correct format and then integrate them into the game just like Eder has done

Now a 450*350 monochrome bitmap once compressed is only 3kb, therefore distribution sizes would be small.

Now obviously since we couldn't manipulate the callsign in this way we'd preffer text but I think its safe to say we now have a backup :D

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
The probelm is: we don't know how to use it. It might be hardcoded. No mision ever used the tractor beam, so we don't know the functions that trigger it nor how it works exactly.

Well, anything we could , um "borrow" from WC4, since players could use tractor beam there (though 'twas hella hard to do so)?...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, welcome back, PPete. Ain't seen ya in awhile.

Gonna update yer site anytime soon (I was just there 2 days ago, and was s'prised it's so outta date)?...

Originally posted by Preacher
Well, anything we could , um "borrow" from WC4, since players could use tractor beam there (though 'twas hella hard to do so)?...
WC4 and WCP/SO and very different, we cannot "borrow" anything from WC4, except art files like ships, MATS, sound or music. The tractor bean is a coded thing, we can't tranfer it to another game ! WC3 and WC4 are much alike, so technology swtiching between the two is possible, just as with WCP and SO together.
BTW, welcome back, PPete. Ain't seen ya in awhile.

Gonna update yer site anytime soon (I was just there 2 days ago, and was s'prised it's so outta date)?...
Well, I could update it with lots of irrelevant info, but sadly the truth is: I don't have anything to update my website about since I don't have much time to research WC editing or program utilities. I tried my best to help UE with the little spare time I had, but that's about it. Keep looking though, I might update the site one day ! :D

Couldn't you write a program to generate the bitmaps with the users callsign in them once they enter the callsign..

Actually, yes, I can. Should be there by ~9:30 pm EST, I have to step out for a while now.

As for the fiction viewing... Any way to hack up WCP to display HTML? Maybe have some kind of IE engine dynamically outputting to a .bmp?

I seriously doubt it. Web integration is something we'll never see. But there are other ways, like text printing in missions (using the same strings as, let's say, the credits in the intro... or making a special room file with buttons that would call splashscreens witch are really just text, etc. etc.

Whoa, I've been visiting this site since the WCHS (like what, 5-6 years ?) and I just got promoted to 1st lieutenant ! Yay !

Back