What Happened to the dragon

BattleDog said:
I still don't believe the WC3-4 fighters are that big. If they are how come an Excal looks smaller than a Vamp?

Since the Vamp is bigger in game that must mean one sive stat is wrong.

Making a comparison I'd put the Excal at 16-18 metres long, or the Vamp at 28-34 metres long.

So that would make the Dragon 20 metres, not so big.
No it would make the Dragon 40 meters, just because it looks smaller in the game doesn't mean the facts we are given in literature are wrong. Look at the size of the Dragon when Blair lands on Telemon (?) or when its on the Intrepid. The thing is huge.
Comparison? We are given how big a Excal, Dragon, Vamp, etc are, why do we have to compare them to find a size?

BattleDog said:
The Tiger claw which was suposidly made after the victory only had 25cm of armor while even an arrow has 80 cm so there is some crossover problems.
Different armor. What you see on the WC3 fighters and on is a "durasteel-equivalent" thickness, IIRC. The Tigers Claw had Durasteel Armor, when the Victory was refitted sometime in its operational life, it ws given a different type of armor that is measured in a Durasteel equivalent thickness, same goes for the fighters. The armor may actually be a few centimeters thick, but its as strong a 80cm (in teh cse of the Arrow) of durasteel. I think this is your explaination, if not, I'll be corrected and punished ;).

C-ya

Looking back through the game manuals i also noticed they made what i would call a stupid decision on the t-bolt they replaced its mesons. Yes they replaced them with a plasma buts what they left that makes the decision odd. They left the photons which arnt as strong take more energy and fire slower. Why didnt they replace the photons with the plasma and leave the mesons. And also on the weapon changing note why did they replace then reapers with ions on the t-bolt. The reapers are clearly superior.

No, the armor thickness differences are due to the advancement of ship/fighter armor (see durasteel/tungsten/isometal, in Privateer/Righteous Fire, for an example from the civilian side). The armor isn't actually physically that thick, but for the sake of measurement armor in WC is measured in "durasteel equivalent" thicknesses. 1 cm of isometal, for example (and if I'm remembering the numbers right) is equivalent to 10 cm of durasteel, in terms of protection.

If the Claw had survived K'tithrak Mang and subsequent battles, it might have also received the armor upgrade that the Victory and other older capships in the WC3 era received.

As for fighter sizes, I don't know about the in-universe explanation, but you can probably chalk WC3/4 fighter sizes up to game designers really having no clue how big a meter actually is. :p

Loco337 said:
And also on the weapon changing note why did they replace then reapers with ions on the t-bolt. The reapers are clearly superior.

They are also clearly expensive, as the Reaper cannons were also one of the casualties of the Excalibur post-WC3 downgrade. I'd imagine maintenance alone would be a bear (no, not Bondarevsky), as a lot of the war-era technicians with experience were let loose after the Torgo treaty was signed, leaving a lot of "wet behind the ears" junior techs to figure out the maintenance quirks that invariably get left out of the "official" maintenance routine manuals.

yeah 40 meters is friggen huge when u think about it.... the rancor in starwars is on a lousy 5 meters, now think about it it could be 40 meters simply because the powercell for unlimeted afterburners may have been huge, plus fission cannons wouldnt be small id say.

plus the 10 missles and toprs stuck in the baby its gotto completly cramped in cockpit when u think about it, and for a ship that size to move as well as a hellcat and as fast as an excaliber thats some accomplishment..

my god think 40 meters thoughs whats that 90 feet? 95 feet? thats fucken humongus it cant be possible not for a 1 person fighter anyway 2 of em would take up all the room in the intrepid

its somewhere between 120-130ft long roughly two F-14 Tomcats. I forget exactly how large a meter i think its a yard and 3 inches but im not sure.

Loco337 said:
its somewhere between 120-130ft long roughly two F-14 Tomcats. I forget exactly how large a meter i think its a yard and 3 inches but im not sure.

120-130 ft sounds formillar...I just hope im thinking of the Dragon :eek:

thats still enourmouse think about it u wouldnt surf a 120 foot wave cause ud die, thats a joke it cant possible be that big, talk about a giant extension ladder to get in there.

i dont think origin has any idea about the metric system

You can see just how big these fighters are when they land in a Cinematic. The fact is, you NEEDED something as big as the Vesuvius to carry those things. Dragons are downright HUGE. You see a shot of Blair in... it's either an Excalibur or Thunderbolt, but in proportion to everything else, it's damn big. I will agree that measurements are off, no way possible that K = Kilometer...

kinda makes ya wanna get an englishman to program the messurements in the game at least they know the metric system damn im not even 2 meters tall, im a lousy 195cm which is about 6'4

still feet is easier to understand in small messurements me thinks meters is just better on a large scale, and to think in the end mission they have at least 4 dragons aboard the intrepid kinda makes u think how big the intrepids hanger really is?

Dammerung said:
You can see just how big these fighters are when they land in a Cinematic. The fact is, you NEEDED something as big as the Vesuvius to carry those things. Dragons are downright HUGE. You see a shot of Blair in... it's either an Excalibur or Thunderbolt, but in proportion to everything else, it's damn big.

Thunderbolts are huge! I remember when I first played threw WC3 and saw the scene where Blair gets out of them and that huge side door that opens. Thats big.

Viper61 said:
No it would make the Dragon 40 meters, just because it looks smaller in the game doesn't mean the facts we are given in literature are wrong. Look at the size of the Dragon when Blair lands on Telemon (?) or when its on the Intrepid. The thing is huge.
Comparison? We are given how big a Excal, Dragon, Vamp, etc are, why do we have to compare them to find a size?

The novels are based on the games, not the other way around.

The game is the primary source. None of the fighters are that big.

When you see Blair land a T-Bolt it's no way 36 metres! More like twenty. Again, thats the mass stat.

So iif we use the masses:

Arrow: 11.5m, about right.

Hellcat: 14m, again, sounds good.

T-Bolt: 20m

Excal: 18m

Dragon: 22?m

22m is about 71 1/2 feet. Thats still huge.

IPhoenixI said:
Thunderbolts are huge! I remember when I first played threw WC3 and saw the scene where Blair gets out of them and that huge side door that opens. Thats big.

Your memory is faulty, thats a Longbow, the T-Bolt has a hinged canopy that pops open and it really isn't that big.

BattleDog said:
Your memory is faulty, thats a Longbow, the T-Bolt has a hinged canopy that pops open and it really isn't that big.

Omg lol ya I knew that...See this is a lession to be remembered..Dont CZ and type a report at the same time. >.<

BattleDog said:
. . . So iif we use the masses . . .
How the hell are you extrapolating length from mass? I can take something made from steel and something made from aluminum that the same size and the one made from steel will be much more massive.

C-ya

Just think the dragon is supose to be 2 meters longer than the Longbow. As for 40 meter being overly huge for a carrier it reall isnt. The dragon is rought 125ft that is 2 Tomcats which are about 20 meters 64 ft to be exact. A Nimitz Class Aircraft carrier carried up to 24 Tomcats durring the 90s. A Nimitz is 350 meters or 1098ft in addition to this they carried 70 other aircraft ranging in size from 10 meters to 23 meters. looking at the game info WC aircraft are basically 2-1 in size so we are looking at the intrepid to be able to carry at least 10 Dragons with 35 other craft. This is a low end estimate with a nimitz class size due to the fact that i dont know the intrepids actual size but the exeter was 360 meters so i figured close enough.

i heard the intrepid was 500 meters somewhere though dont go by that i could be wrong and mostly likly am.

but then again i dont understand how they cramp that many fighters and can still take off, to me it looks like its over crowded and impossible to get them all up without half of them having to be harriers.

still 40 meters a ship can u say............fuck thats huge

Back