What ever happen to the WCP:SO Fiction?

Hey neat... we were all so busy jumping on a guy about copyrights that we forgot to jump on him for calling it Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops in the subject!

There's no Prophecy in the title.

Delance said:
Actually, since patents are protected by just 10 years, extended for an extra 10, you can indeed build your own 1968 Mustang free of charge. You can't sell it as a Mustang, since the trademark is owned - you'd have to sell as a replica, of course. But you can legally make and sell any car older than 20 years.

You can build a Mustang replica, but the copyright to the Mustang trademark and look is still the property of the Ford company. Ford has not abandoned the Mustang name completely, and most Mustangs I see for sale out there are made using Ford parts and the frame, but it's not the same as 'no copyright exists'.

Haesslich said:
You know, I think I felt my IQ dip a point or two after reading through this thread.... :(

Just because something isn't being made or published now doesn't mean that the copyright isn't still in effect - it just means that the company in question is leaving the license in its portfolio, perhaps to bring back at a later date. Enforcement of the copyright can vary, depending on the company involved, but they still hold the copyright. Thus a 'null' copyright does not exist - the copyright is defined by the copyright holder and the copyright office of the country or countries they register the intellectual property under.

I'd probably try to avoid arguing copyrights unless you've done enough reading, and maybe have a lawyer who specializes in the field working with you on the issue in question.

Apparently you are the ones who do not understand the practical uses of copyrights. You see taking legal action in civil cases does indeed require large amounts of money, yes you can crawl out from under your rocks now, the big bad corporations aren't going to rain lawsuits down opon you at a whim. You see because it takes these large amounts of money to sue people they better make damn sure that 1. they are losing profits over the violation and 2. it will bring in signifigant profits afterward to pay off the legal fees and thus not hurt the company. "But Amerika," you may ask, "don't large corporations have huge sacks of money laying around all over the place?" Yes indeed they do, but large companies (particularly EA) are motivatied by greed and excess, most of the time they will only expend large quantities of money if it's guaranteed to bring them in more money. Thus copyright laws are basically ways for companies to preserve income, why do you think the ~~~~~~~~~ have never gotten sued?

This horse isn't dead till I've killed it.

"I don't think they will" isn't remotely similar to "they won't" - and it doesn't begin to address all the issues we have with posting the episodes (relations with the company and the fact that they specifically asked us not to).

(The site our filter blocks out hasn't been sued because they've removed material when threatened. Which is pretty much the same as our policy, save that we were asked not to post the episodes before we did.)

Yes but they still have plenty of stuff, including the SO epsisodes. It just isn't logical for a company to sue over something that brings them no money back

... so your claim would be, then, that we should be more like {that site} because they only get threatened with legal action *some of the time*? I'm sorry, I don't see the up side.

You know, Amerika, if you dislike the way people here do things, go away. Leave.
Note that I'm not afiliated with the CIC and I'm usually disagreeing with them more often than not... But your kind of lame ass kiddo attitude is higly annoying.
People asked them NOT to host the episodes, they want to stay in Origin's good side - which is a wise idea, considering the company owns WC.

The fact that EA/Origin wouldn't sue them is not good enough...

So, just go away or talk about something else.

Amerika said:
Yes but they still have plenty of stuff, including the SO epsisodes. It just isn't logical for a company to sue over something that brings them no money back

In other words, you're saying that it's not logical to pursue legal action against you if you took some of my property off my land while it was kept locked up in a shed, because I wasn't actively making money off it? The only 'abandonware' out there is the stuff that was released under public domain by the copyright holder: stuff like Elder Scrolls: Arena.

Amerika, you're an idiot if you think it takes 'a lot of money' to launch a lawsuit - if you've got lawyers on staff, you've probably got enough money to do the lawsuit anyways... as EA does. If you're targeting one site and take them down, or else if you ask the FBI to arrest those 'pirates' for you, it won't cost you too horribly much at all, and the copyright's being enforced.

You're a stain on the American educational system, you know that?

Not only Haesslich is right, but all it takes to fuck a site is a nasty notice to the ISP/Host, telling them a site they host is distributing copyrighted material. Boom, no more CIC.

Haesslich said:
In other words, you're saying that it's not logical to pursue legal action against you if you took some of my property off my land while it was kept locked up in a shed, because I wasn't actively making money off it? The only 'abandonware' out there is the stuff that was released under public domain by the copyright holder: stuff like Elder Scrolls: Arena.

And I suppose the RIAA go around suing 12-16 year olds for hundreds of thousands of dollars and ruining their entire futures because they stole their goddamn CDs. Copyrights are about profit. End of discusstion. Go back to arguing how Nazism is super on the Tolwyn thread, you #$&@.

And loaf, it's your site, use your bandwidth how you want. I was just trying to show you how your stated reasons for keeping content off aren't really logical, but do what you want.

What's illogical about us wanting a good relationship with the various developers and publishers? The CIC wouldn't be where it is today if we hosted content that we were asked not to. And that's something that visitors like yourself (*) benefit from directly.

(*) Except not you anymore, because I'm banning you. You should take your copyright rants to Slashdot. I'll look for your posts under -1, Redundant.

TEMPER START:
Yeah. You would have to crazy or stupid to seriously want to risk that kind of attention--something that could do severe damage to a lot of people (okay, maybe not that many, but even 1 is pretty bad).
:END!

Haesslich said:
Cool, and I didn't even have to try to see Godwin's Law invoked. :D

Damn shame man. At least we were able to see another example of Charles Darwin's Law in real-time!

psych said:
Damn shame man. At least we were able to see another example of Charles Darwin's Law in real-time!

Well, HE did mention Nazis first, so... the Law was invoked, and Kris smote him most mightily.

Haesslich said:
You can build a Mustang replica, but the copyright to the Mustang trademark and look is still the property of the Ford company. Ford has not abandoned the Mustang name completely, and most Mustangs I see for sale out there are made using Ford parts and the frame, but it's not the same as 'no copyright exists'.

Building Mustangs has nothing to do with copyrights, unless someone wrote a book about how to build them, and even so you could still use this book, just not copy it. The patents of the Mustang car expires in 20 years, so there's no patent protection to the 1968 Mustang. As I said, you can't sell it as a Mustang, because the trademark is still owned. While they have full rights for the trademark, they have no rights for the patents. And it has nothing to do with copyright, as in a book or a game. There are 3 different kinds of protection: trademark, patents and copyright. That's why they use (tm) or (c), instead of just one symbol.

Amerika said:
You sir, rule. At last someone on the CIC who isn't scared of null copyrights.

Well I am not part of the CIC tho I largely support their views.
Also, as you migth have noted, for a long time I didn't distribute the fiction as well due to respect for the request by origin not do do so. The first fictionless package originated in that time. This package is also mirrored at the CIC BTW. Only as Secretops.com started to malfuntion I added the remaining files, also in order as to rescue them from vanishing.
There are no monetary interests harmed with the fiction files as far as I can judge - if anything at all it helps WCPGold as it also uses the fiction.
I'd instantly remove the fules however asked by EA or OSI of course.

Regarding SO Episodes - There is still money to be made with WCPGold. So unless there is some official statement from EA I share the stance of the CIC and will only distribute the first episode which is still free.

Just want to agree with Karl - I don't think there's any problem with putting the fiction online. The original request, re: the fiction, was not to mirror it because it could ruin the game for people playing SO for the first time (they could just read through the fiction instead of going to SO.com and putting in their winning or losing code). When SO.com died, I think it pretty much became our duty to put the fiction online, since it wasn't available anywhere else.

Ack, no wonder I was confused. The links on the CIC's orignal SO Fiction page still point to secretops.com. I had no idea there was a new one. Please forgive my belated e-mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the terrible conflict that has left over two million dead, and one hundred thousand military and civilians missing in action

This is in the third piece. Just out of curiousity, are they referring to the war with the Kilrathi or the Nephilim conflict from Prophecy?

Back