What does Privateer 1.0 need?

Hrmmm....

Chemus said:
You make a good point, and I agree. I'll modify my point. There were six total missions in the computer at any one time inr the original. I've waded through 30+ bounty missions in the remake. I like the remake, and the missions in general, but I'd like the six missions per landing per station. (plus when I take a mission, I have no way of verifying which one I actually took; I click it, click 'accept', and it's still on that long list...'Scwewy')

-Chemus, The Fudd Report

Ooooh, I see what you mean. Yeowch!

Well, you make a good point.

Didn't mean to sound insulting, with my comment. If I did, please accept my apology. That was far from my intent, I just thought I'd state my piece. And while in Troy, I wanted more missions, but the struggle thing was part of intiation rights I think. One at a time etc. . .

Thanks for the clarification.

Wendy

LOAF: good point about needing suns. Yet another reason my preferred solution would be to make the stars non-targetable instead of removing them

Ridgerunner said:
Why does the tractor beam not always show when you're using it?
That has happened to me too. There is no 'reason' it happens, other than a bug of some kind, which we can hopefully track down.

Scavenger: rescue mission will be looked at. Admittedly I haven't played it much :-/ And you seem to have missed the point of suggesting what one change is most important before Privateer 1.0 :D I'm glad to see people trying all the different mission types though, so thanks.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Scavenger: rescue mission will be looked at. Admittedly I haven't played it much :-/ And you seem to have missed the point of suggesting what one change is most important before Privateer 1.0 :D I'm glad to see people trying all the different mission types though, so thanks.
Nope, I got the point, but I thought the rescue bug and kamekh swarms were equally important so I put them both in ;) The rest of the post was somewhat tangential, hence the "no urgency whatsoever" disclaimer. It just seemed like a good place to put a lot of varied ideas.

re: invisitractor. I've had that as well. If it helps, there seems to be a correlation between invisible tractor beams and saving/loading games. It's a starting point, anyway.

I was on my way from Troy off to where I prefer to make my home base in Perry, and jumping through penders star I was not able to shoot down asteroids as I was in the original, this was cause for some rather rough navigation for a while, is this a bug or has the ability to shoot down asteroids been removed?

Well the ability hasn't been added (as opposed to removed) remember the engine was built from ground up.

The engine actually does have the ability to shoot down subobjects...for a *long* time there was a huge overhead to this--now there's just a small overhead...
but it's still a ton faster to treat all the asteroids as a single object....
we can eventually experiment with other options at some point...but this is a known limitation for now

Also, ocassionally my tractor beam will just remain on, it drains my energy as if I am using it normally, but i can completely let go of my controller and it will stay there, it DOES eventually stop in most cases.
I have seen it mentioned around but I would definately like to not lose a missile slot to a tractor and have it on the turret, and being able to mount things on the turret, that is driving me batty.

We need to be able to mount turrets and guns and tractor beams on turrets. And I still have yet to purchase a ship that I can buy any kind of cargo expansion on.

the cargo expansion thing has been fixed for 009.
As for mounting guns on turrets... it's already pretty good that you can fire them...
currently there's no support for a subunit to add to the cargo of its parent...so the best you could hope for was a rear mounted autotracking tractor beam... which may be possible but annoying

I keep seeing this "oh, that's been fixed in 009" thing being tossed around. Is it possible to get that version (or a playable build of it)? It would probably reduce the duplicate bug reports at least.

lol that's what the developers are working on.

We want to make sure that 009 == 1.0 except with a few bugs.
i.e. no new feature requests between 009 and 1.0 complete feature freeze.
this means we need to wait until we're good and ready before releasing it

Originally posted by hellcatv
As for mounting guns on turrets... it's already pretty good that you can fire them...
currently there's no support for a subunit to add to the cargo of its parent...

How would that become supported? Through a Vegastrike code change, or more like a scripting differece?

I ask because this seems like a fairly important part of the Privateer portion of WC. Fighting is a big part of Priv, and cargo is a major way to make money. Plus, I sometimes needed to have those two missile launchers for rate-of-fire. Even though I was way too cheap to use them as often as I should...wait was? ;)

The immersion allowed through the mission system in the Guilds is very nice. How much work would adding selection region tech for anything else be? (Like the concourse mission comp, commodities, Upgrade/Repair and software booths...)

well we could add an autotracking tractor that fired to the rear with almost no trouble at all...but you wouldn't fire it from within a turret, instead from within the normal views

What Privateer 1.0 needs . . .

. . . I don't know, I can't get it to load.

I consider myself a midlevel computer user. I downloaded the beta fiddled with it and managed to get it to run once (all I remember was that I was in a Tarsus on a launchpad) before it locked up my Windows XP Dell computer.

Now, when I try to load it, it stops loading at thrust0018.png and I have to use task manager to regain control of my computer.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the program without success. Maybe my experience is isolated, I don't know.

I'm looking forward to the Privateer remake but I would like it to be easier to install and run.

-orca

hellcatv said:
lol that's [009 is] what the developers are working on.
Yes, I figured that was the reason it isn't generally available. My point about cutting down on reports for bugs that are already fixed still stands, though. Also, in my opinion, once the generated missions have gotten to a point where they work flawlessly, the big thing to work on is polishing the game. As it currently stands, the game is very fun and I'm glad I took the time to play it, but there are a considerable number of bugs that detract from the "immersion". Text wrapping in the middle of words in conversations and on the mission computer. System names in the briefings and objective list beingwrittenlikethis (bairdsstar, pendersstar, newdetroit, hindvariablen, etc). Kilrathi being generated in the Sol system and news reports talking about how Sol and other interior systems are being blockaded or invaded. Factions getting chummy toward me just because I stop killing them for a few missions (that really wierded me out the first time I saw a kilrathi and he was green, especially since he was fighting with a wing of stilettos at the time). Plot-related targets ignoring me because I was friendly toward their faction even as I was blasting their wingmates (Black Rhomus mission, palan blockade missions). Plot-related targets doing wierd and inappropriate things (some demons in the palan missions were allegedly supposed to try to blast Basra refinery, instead they docked with it). Having to manually target someone because his faction is green even while he's blasting a mission-critical craft. Having to manually target someone shooting at me personally because the targetting computer automaticaly picked an ejected pilot as the next target in line. Nav points that designate nothing and plot briefings that refer to nav points that don't exist. Typos. Cargo and upgrades lacking descriptions. Upgrades lacking stats. Cargo missions where a Drayman was supposed to be the cargo. Planets being reported as having high demand for Kilrathi fighters. Cargo in briefings and news reports being called raw materials or raw materials/gems or ships/kilrathi/medium or electroncis[sic]/robots instead of whatever it actually is. Attempting to recover a friendly fighter with a tractor beam only to have it interpret it as an attack and start shooting at me. Salvaging a level 6 reactor and expecting to sell it for a pile of cash only to land and find "uncategorized cargo/space salvage" in my inventory selling for 10 credits each. Confed and insys continuing their usual patrols even when I can clearly see hostiles on my radar. Insys failing to assist me when I'm being mobbed by pirates unless they already happened to be very near me. And so on.

That's quite a pile of bugs, no? None of them are dealbreakers, as I said the game is fun even with them. But every one of them detracts noticeably from the polish of the game. Hence my interest in seeing where the 009 is at. I can't comment on how polished it is unless I can see it, after all, and after the missions, polish is the big thing to work on.

Renaming the sectors is going to cost everyone their savegames... i.e. it tracks all the spaceships--including yours...if you're at Gemini/pendersstar it will now be an empty sector, replaced with Gemini/Penders Star (I can pretty print the slash so it looks better)
but I've written a script to do that... shall I commit it for 009?

or do you guys value your savegames---now that I've removed all known money exploits it might be a good idea anyway

Many of these bugs you mention have been fixed for 009. Some have not.
Notably tractoring in upgrades is space salvage for a reason: otherwise you could get rich quick... if I blew up a car...I couldn't just grab the burnt-out engine and sell it for anything but salvage.

We fixed the plot related stuff... now they actually do attack and protect each other, etc--at least they should. The characters will refer to nonexistant stuff in case we ever add speech.

Factions will still get chummy if you continually blow up their enemies.

You can use 'h' to target a hostile craft even though eject may be next in line.

What typos... that's not gonna help.

Most cargo should have descriptions--if not add it to the master_part_list.csv all upgrades should have auto-calculated stats--which ones don't...we don't know of any.

Cargo missions to take starships around were designed for users with large ships--like paradigms--now that those are out, those missions are kind of moot...maybe we should remove them.

The demand thing is fixed. The briefings will tell you the category--we can pretty-print it.

Confeds will always attack hostiles unless they can't target them for whatever reason--I've yet to see one continue a patrol otherwise....
maybe they're far away and you can't tell that they are slowly coming.

anyhow as you can see we've addressed most of them.

Text wrapping in the base--was a low priroity (in the mission computer it already works)--you really thing we should delay 009 for that? it's possible to do.

I have no particular attachment to my savegames. If it comes right down to it, I can hack my way to a zillion dollars anyway (unless you radically change the format).

As an aside, the list above was not comprehensive, there is more to it. That's just what I could think of off the top of my head.

hellcatv said:
Many of these bugs you mention have been fixed for 009. Some have not.
Lol! That's what brought this whole thing up :)

Notably tractoring in upgrades is space salvage for a reason: otherwise you could get rich quick... if I blew up a car...I couldn't just grab the burnt-out engine and sell it for anything but salvage.
No, but you might be able to sell the stereo for something. Either way, I'd suggest that things which are going to be treated as salvage ought to be labelled as salvage before I go to the trouble of tractoring them in. As it stands, it's misleading.

We fixed the plot related stuff... now they actually do attack and protect each other, etc--at least they should. The characters will refer to nonexistant stuff in case we ever add speech.
My solution to this would be to add in the things they're referring to. I understand the logic of keeping things tied to the speech, but would it be possible to have the game place a nav point at a random place in the system whenever a mission calling for that nav point is accepted?

Factions will still get chummy if you continually blow up their enemies.
It wasn't "blowing up their enemies" so much as "not blowing them up". I went into the interior systems for a while just to see what I could see, and when I got back to Gemini the cats and pirates had gone from hostile to friendly.

You can use 'h' to target a hostile craft even though eject may be next in line.
Yes, but when I'm being shot at, taking my finger off the afterburner key so I can get a fresh target seems like a really bad idea, and that h key is a looong way away.

What typos... that's not gonna help.
As I mentioned, one of the randomly generated mission cargos is a bunch of robots classified as "electroncis". There are also a number of typos in the news reports, but I was being general, so I'll get back to you with specifics.

Most cargo should have descriptions--if not add it to the master_part_list.csv
Again, I was being general, I'll get back to you on the ones that don't.

all upgrades should have auto-calculated stats--which ones don't...we don't know of any.
Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing any stats with the repair systems or ecm or gun coolers. I will make a proper list for specifics.

Cargo missions to take starships around were designed for users with large ships--like paradigms--now that those are out, those missions are kind of moot...maybe we should remove them.
Yeah, probably. Either that or increase the cargo space on the Drayman (I'm in favor of the latter and it makes plenty of sense, but I'm not a dev)

The demand thing is fixed. The briefings will tell you the category--we can pretty-print it.
k.

Confeds will always attack hostiles unless they can't target them for whatever reason--I've yet to see one continue a patrol otherwise....
maybe they're far away and you can't tell that they are slowly coming.
I suppose that's possible.

Text wrapping in the base--was a low priroity (in the mission computer it already works)--you really thing we should delay 009 for that? it's possible to do.
ahem:
this means we need to wait until we're good and ready before releasing it
I'd suggest you fix everything you possibly can. Once 009 is released publicly, I can almost guarantee you a fresh pile ofbugs will arrive.

Back