Welcome!

C

CURATOR

It is great to have such wonderful friends! Thanks to the efforts of the CIC and solsector.net, we are able to bring you a forum for any Origin collecting topic you'd want to discuss!

There has been a new interest in computer game collecting, and we hope this area becomes the source for all Origin collecting info! We never claim to know everything, so this forum will also serve as a source for all budding 'experts' to list their views, and known facts. We continue to be friendly our current 'Wing Commander Expert' LOAF, so anything that we can't answer, he SURELY can!

Hope you have fun, and we hope to hear from you!

"...Preserving Worlds..."
Joe and Paula
Curators of The Origin Museum
Protectors of The Ultima Crossbow
http://www.originmuseum.com

Hmm... someone really should have told me the wwwboard was broken back in whatever month that got broken in. :)

Hurrah!

I like everyone else have but one question, how much for one of those flight suits? ;)

Actually I'd like to know if there was ever an offical guide to WCP GOLD released, amazon.co.uk used to have it listed but I never saw it in stock there even when the game was new...

You're Talking About a Guide that Never Existed

Originally posted by Pedro
I like everyone else have but one question, how much for one of those flight suits? ;)

Actually I'd like to know if there was ever an offical guide to WCP GOLD released, amazon.co.uk used to have it listed but I never saw it in stock there even when the game was new...

No, no WCPG official guide was ever released. The initial plan for Secret Ops would be that it was a set of missions available only as a payed addon ($19.99 from the EA store... it was actually purchase-able for a while) or as a new product (Prophecy Gold). At that time Prima asked IMGS to do an updated Prophecy guide that would include the new missions. When Origin announced that it'd be given away for free, Prima lost interest in publishing the book -- they reasoned that no one would purchase a guide for a free game.

(Also, the Wing Commander III guide by "Bernie Yee" which frequently appears in online stores never existed, either).

Re: You're Talking About a Guide that Never Existed

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
When Origin announced that it'd be given away for free, Prima lost interest in publishing the book -- they reasoned that no one would purchase a guide for a free game.

Why do they think so stupidly?

It's not really stupidity -- their market research shows that people won't buy a guide for a free game.

I think it was actually a mistake not to make Secret Ops an addon

1) Its more profit, more profit means EA take more notice

2) Someone might have actually taken the time to build the fiction viewer into the game :p *Hopefully* UE1/2 next year will have an inbuilt viewer as opposed to the currect seperate executable but it'd have been a lot easier if all the SO fiction hadn't been online.

3) That'd be one more box for our collections ;)

Coupla things...

- In the late 90s addons stopped being profitable alltogether. EA found that they took a bath on things like Flashpoint: Korea... but would then make a reasonable profit releasing the same thing as part of Longbow: Gold. That pretty much killed the addon alltogether.

- The fiction *was* originally to be included on the WCPG CD... and you can, for reasons absolutely incomprehensible to me, blame the Germans (EA Germany or somesuch) for asking that it be removed.

Well I already blame the Germans for most things, not least of which the fact that my copy of WC Armadas manual is infact only in german ;)

But if addons are so hopelessly unprofitable when why all the various The Sims addons, I mean hell theres one £20 addon for every single minor patch. Around the same time as WCPG IIRC Brood War was released and I've never encountered a person with starcraft but without that ;)

BTW what do EA germany have to do with the rest of the worlds copies of WCPG? :p Also was it just going to be the website on CD or was it to actually be built into the game?

StarCraft and The Sims are both special cases -- they're games that have sold multiple millions of copies to (in both cases for different reasons) an entirely abnormal group of people. Had Prophecy sold three million copies I'm sure we'd still be seeing addons for it.

As for Prophecy Gold -- all the international versions of the games are essentially the same with slightly different files. Having radically different CDs would make it harder to support, etc.

The fiction was supposed to have a 'viewer', which was probably just a decorated web browser of some sort.

Around the same time as WCPG IIRC Brood War was released and I've never encountered a person with starcraft but without that ;)

I don't have Brood War, hurrah!

Someone might have actually taken the time to build the fiction viewer into the game...
Was that fiction any different to the one set up on the secretops.com website?

Originally posted by KrisV
Most people who play The Sims and Starcraft are basket cases though.
I never understood this expression - what's a basket case? And no, I've never played, nor do I own, The Sims or Starcraft.

Most people who play The Sims and Starcraft are basket cases though.

Seems a bit mean. My girlfriend loves the Sims and also Crash Bandicoot. She doesn't really fit into the classic gamer mould though. I've never really seen the point myself. I played Sim City 2000 for a while but just got board. After all, theres nothing to kill.

Sure there is. You can blow up your whole city.

There's a code that will set off a nuclear bomb in the middle of the map, destroying everything except the outer corners of it. I always found it fun forcing Disastors to happen. I liked watching 15 planes crash one right after the other into my city, and then I would watch it burn for a while before I tried to put it out.

One time half the city was on fire.

Now thats fun!

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hmm, planes crashing. I'm sure there'd be few who find that funny, given September is coming up.

I'm getting a little tired of having to tiptoe around every little issue that has even the slightest chance of being related to last year's disaster. It happened. It sucked. It's over. Move on.

Back