website help

(in fact, wasn't Saga once upon a time two different projects working together?)

Yes and no.
Saga had two mods running with quite the same team but for two different engines. One was the Freespace version the other used Homeworld as a basis.
The Homeworld part never realy did got anywhere...don't know why and then their was some trouble with another mod also doing a Homeworld mod and they colided somehow and.....whatever. I don't know the complete story and I don't want to...even if I would have liked to see a Homeworld WC mod.
So beside one person both mods shared the same team.

Chevieblazer said:
~~~, yea, but the propably aren't running tweo mod projects and are trying to finally finish their uni degree;)

Yeah, but people do. I worked on the CIC daily while working a real job full time and finishing up two university degrees.

Quarto said:
You won't, however, get anybody coming to you out of the blue, because nobody actually knows you're looking for any help in that area. Announcing the fact that you're looking for help might possibly produce some results, however :p.

It was announced along with a list of other things.

Quarto said:
I don't know about the Saga team, but I can certainly tell you how I'd react if you suggested this kind of thing to the Standoff team. More specifically, I have a knee-jerk "fuck off and die" reaction to such requests. Why? Because in the past, I've heard such suggestions aimed at Unknown Enemy and Standoff a few times - that we should work together with some other project, because why re-invent the wheel? The trouble was that in each case, the suggestion was put forward by a member of that project, and in each case, the projects in question were poorly managed and poorly thought-out. So, in my mind, the suggestion to get together to stop re-inventing the wheel is inevitably associated with a lousy project trying to turn itself around by destroying a succesful project and taking its staff.

That's just me, of course. Saga's view on such proposals might be different - but I doubt it. We all work together and help each other out in small ways, but there's simply no point in two projects working together on a closer level. And this is not only because of what I said above, but also what Lars said - the fact is, we all have different goals, and if two project teams were to work too closely together, the result would be that one of the projects would have to sacrifice some of its goals.

A few days ago i was talking to the head of another wing commander fan project. We figured out both of us are looking for something the other team could help us with. Now he's helping Gemini Gold and i'm contributing something for his project. That's the kind of "working together" i was talking about but it does only work if there is *any* communication at all.

John Cordell said:
A few days ago i was talking to the head of another wing commander fan project. We figured out both of us are looking for something the other team could help us with. Now he's helping Gemini Gold and i'm contributing something for his project. That's the kind of "working together" i was talking about but it does only work if there is *any* communication at all.
Well, yeah, that's different. That kind of thing is standard in this community though - Saga uses some Standoff models, WCU uses some Standoff models, UE used models from various sources including other fan projects, and so on. So yeah, this kind of working together happens on a fairly regular basis. What I was trying to get across, though, is why people tend to be fairly wary when someone suggests their projects should work together - you might have in mind the kind of cooperation you've described... but to some of us, such suggestions unfortunately carry pretty negative connotations.

Back